Re: Economic freedom

  • Jason P Sorens
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire" <spike@a...>
      wrote:
      > Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
      > article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state
      in
      > one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the
      > second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is
      > #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which
      > fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
      > lot of things right.
      >
      > It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where
      New
      > Hampshire falls short.

      This survey actually came out a year or even two or three years ago, I
      think. NH is at the top in most categories except the labor market,
      IIRC. If NH had a right to work law, then it would score higher there,
      and might even jump to #1 overall.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005

        >-- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire" <spike@a...>
        >wrote:
        >

        >>Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
        >>article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state in one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
        >>lot of things right. It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where New Hampshire falls short.
        >>

        >This survey actually came out a year or even two or three years ago, I
        >think. NH is at the top in most categories except the labor market,
        >IIRC. If NH had a right to work law, then it would score higher there,
        >and might even jump to #1 overall.

        Nice idea for a legislative project for next year's General
        Court.... ---Tim C.