Re: [FSP] Re: Unable to deliver your message

  • Mike Lorrey
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
      Actually, game theory says that opposition will dominate and cause
      regression until enough libertarians move here to really have a strong
      influence. Given the number of statist bills I saw on the calendar this
      year, this view is apparently supported. This sort of behavior would
      have resulted in ANY state we would have picked. The opposition knows
      their best chance to kill the project is early on no matter where it
      happens.
      Right now we are getting organized and building the mechanisms by which
      we will build influence over state politics. They are demonstrating
      that they work, but not to the point yet where we can swing votes on
      more than a handful of bills and a handful of candidates.
      More feet on the ground, more funds in the kitty, and more mouths in
      front of committees is needed. The first 100 porcupines to move are
      making things happen. The next 100-200 will really start making things
      tick.

      http://www.objectivistcenter.org/navigator/articles/nav+rdonway_state-
      > >> freedom.asp
      > >>
      > >> PACIFIC RESEARCH
      > >> 1. Kansas 18.18
      > >> 2. Colorado 18.81
      > >> 3. Virginia 18.86
      > >> 4. Idaho 19.02
      > >> 5. Utah 19.35
      > >> 6. Oklahoma 19.56
      > >> 7. New Hampshire 20.19
      > >> 8. Delaware 20.90
      > >> 9. Wyoming 21.24
      > >> 10. Missouri 21.82
      > >> 11. Arizona 21.89
      > >> 12. Nevada 22.10
      > >> 13. South Carolina 22.41
      > >> 14. Indiana 22.69
      > >> 15. South Dakota 23.34
      > >> 16. Iowa 23.43
      > >> 17. Texas 23.52
      > >> 18. North Dakota 24.00
      > >> 19. Georgia 24.06
      > >> 20. Nebraska 24.23
      > >> 21. Montana 24.63
      > >> 22. Florida 25.12
      > >>

      > >> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
      > >> --------------------~--> DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide
      > >> underprivileged children resources often lacking in public
      > schools.
      > >> Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
      > >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/PdSolB/TM

      > --------------------~-->
      > Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
      > Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.
      > http://us.click.yahoo.com/FHLuJD/_WnJAA/cUmLAA/XgSolB/TM

      Mike Lorrey
      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
      Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Dan McGuire
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
        Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
        article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state in
        one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the
        second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is
        #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which
        fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
        lot of things right.

        It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where New
        Hampshire falls short.

        Dan

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Tim Condon <tim@t...> wrote:

        > Hmmm. New Hampshire's only at #7. We ought to be doing better,
        > especially with the influx of politically active libertarians with
        > the Free State Project. ----Tim Condon
        >

        > > Philip Blumel wrote:
        > >> For complete story and rankings, see:

        http://www.objectivistcenter.org/navigator/articles/nav+rdonway_state-freedom.asp

        > >> PACIFIC RESEARCH
        > >> 1. Kansas 18.18
        > >> 2. Colorado 18.81
        > >> 3. Virginia 18.86
        > >> 4. Idaho 19.02
        > >> 5. Utah 19.35
        > >> 6. Oklahoma 19.56
        > >> 7. New Hampshire 20.19
        > >> 8. Delaware 20.90
      • Jason P Sorens
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire" <spike@a...>
          wrote:
          > Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
          > article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state
          in
          > one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the
          > second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is
          > #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which
          > fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
          > lot of things right.
          >
          > It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where
          New
          > Hampshire falls short.

          This survey actually came out a year or even two or three years ago, I
          think. NH is at the top in most categories except the labor market,
          IIRC. If NH had a right to work law, then it would score higher there,
          and might even jump to #1 overall.
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005

            >-- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire" <spike@a...>
            >wrote:
            >

            >>Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
            >>article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state in one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
            >>lot of things right. It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where New Hampshire falls short.
            >>

            >This survey actually came out a year or even two or three years ago, I
            >think. NH is at the top in most categories except the labor market,
            >IIRC. If NH had a right to work law, then it would score higher there,
            >and might even jump to #1 overall.

            Nice idea for a legislative project for next year's General
            Court.... ---Tim C.