Re: Unable to deliver your message

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
      Hmmm. New Hampshire's only at #7. We ought to be doing better,
      especially with the influx of politically active libertarians with the
      Free State Project. ----Tim Condon

      > Philip Blumel wrote:
      >
      >> The States of Freedom
      >> by Roger Donway
      >>
      >> Last month, I reported on freedom around the world. Now, two reports
      >> have surfaced evaluating economic freedom in U.S. states.
      >>
      >> The larger of the two—the U.S. Economic Freedom Index: 2004 Report—
      >> is a 183-page monograph from the Pacific Research Institute (PRI).
      >> The other—Economic Freedom of North America: 2004 Annual Report—is
      >> from the Vancouver-based Fraser Institute (in conjunction with the
      >> Dallas-based National Center for Policy Analysis) and also includes
      >> evaluations of Canadian provinces.
      >>
      >> Among the main conclusions of the authors of Economic Freedom of
      >> North America: Economic freedom is important for a region's level of
      >> prosperity, and growth in economic freedom spurs economic growth.
      >> When one looks at economic-freedom rankings in the all-government
      >> category (which after all is the bottom line), it turns out that the
      >> correlation with per capita GDP is quite striking. The lowest
      >> quintile of states and provinces has an average per capita GDP in
      >> U.S. dollars of $20,891. The highest quintile of states and provinces
      >> has an average per capita GDP of $36,878. "At any all-government
      >> level," the authors write, "holding other variables equal, an
      >> increase of one point in economic freedom in a U.S. state will
      >> increase that state's per-capita income by US$6,235."
      >>
      >> For complete story and rankings, see:
      >> http://www.objectivistcenter.org/navigator/articles/nav+rdonway_state-
      >> freedom.asp
      >>
      >> PACIFIC RESEARCH
      >> 1. Kansas 18.18
      >> 2. Colorado 18.81
      >> 3. Virginia 18.86
      >> 4. Idaho 19.02
      >> 5. Utah 19.35
      >> 6. Oklahoma 19.56
      >> 7. New Hampshire 20.19
      >> 8. Delaware 20.90
      >> 9. Wyoming 21.24
      >> 10. Missouri 21.82
      >> 11. Arizona 21.89
      >> 12. Nevada 22.10
      >> 13. South Carolina 22.41
      >> 14. Indiana 22.69
      >> 15. South Dakota 23.34
      >> 16. Iowa 23.43
      >> 17. Texas 23.52
      >> 18. North Dakota 24.00
      >> 19. Georgia 24.06
      >> 20. Nebraska 24.23
      >> 21. Montana 24.63
      >> 22. Florida 25.12

    • Mike Lorrey
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 27, 2005
        Actually, game theory says that opposition will dominate and cause
        regression until enough libertarians move here to really have a strong
        influence. Given the number of statist bills I saw on the calendar this
        year, this view is apparently supported. This sort of behavior would
        have resulted in ANY state we would have picked. The opposition knows
        their best chance to kill the project is early on no matter where it
        happens.
        Right now we are getting organized and building the mechanisms by which
        we will build influence over state politics. They are demonstrating
        that they work, but not to the point yet where we can swing votes on
        more than a handful of bills and a handful of candidates.
        More feet on the ground, more funds in the kitty, and more mouths in
        front of committees is needed. The first 100 porcupines to move are
        making things happen. The next 100-200 will really start making things
        tick.

        --- Tim Condon <tim@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >> 12. Nevada 22.10
        > >> 13. South Carolina 22.41
        > >> 14. Indiana 22.69
        > >> 15. South Dakota 23.34
        > >> 16. Iowa 23.43
        > >> 17. Texas 23.52
        > >> 18. North Dakota 24.00
        > >> 19. Georgia 24.06
        > >> 20. Nebraska 24.23
        > >> 21. Montana 24.63
        > >> 22. Florida 25.12
        > >>

        > >> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        > >> --------------------~--> DonorsChoose. A simple way to provide
        > >> underprivileged children resources often lacking in public
        > schools.
        > >> Fund a student project in NYC/NC today!
        > >> http://us.click.yahoo.com/EHLuJD/.WnJAA/cUmLAA/PdSolB/TM

        > --------------------~-->
        > Give underprivileged students the materials they need to learn.
        > Bring education to life by funding a specific classroom project.

        Mike Lorrey
        -William Pitt (1759-1806)
        Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Dan McGuire
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
          Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
          article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state in
          one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the
          second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is
          #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which
          fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
          lot of things right.

          It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where New
          Hampshire falls short.

          Dan

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Tim Condon <tim@t...> wrote:

          > Hmmm. New Hampshire's only at #7. We ought to be doing better,
          > especially with the influx of politically active libertarians with
          > the Free State Project. ----Tim Condon
          >

          > > Philip Blumel wrote:
          > >> For complete story and rankings, see:

          http://www.objectivistcenter.org/navigator/articles/nav+rdonway_state-freedom.asp

          > >> PACIFIC RESEARCH
          > >> 1. Kansas 18.18
          > >> 2. Colorado 18.81
          > >> 3. Virginia 18.86
          > >> 4. Idaho 19.02
          > >> 5. Utah 19.35
          > >> 6. Oklahoma 19.56
          > >> 7. New Hampshire 20.19
          > >> 8. Delaware 20.90
        • Jason P Sorens
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 28, 2005
            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire" <spike@a...>
            wrote:
            > Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
            > article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state
            in
            > one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the
            > second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is
            > #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which
            > fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
            > lot of things right.
            >
            > It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where
            New
            > Hampshire falls short.

            This survey actually came out a year or even two or three years ago, I
            think. NH is at the top in most categories except the labor market,
            IIRC. If NH had a right to work law, then it would score higher there,
            and might even jump to #1 overall.
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 29, 2005

              >-- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Dan McGuire" <spike@a...>
              >wrote:
              >

              >>Obviously there is no perfect definition of economic freedom as the
              >>article sites two surveys that get different results. The #1 state in one survey, Kansas, is #20 in the other. Similarly the #1 in the second survey, Delaware, is #8 in the first survey. New Hampshire is #7 in one and #5 in the other. Colorado scores well in both, which fits well with the intuitive sense that their government is doing a
              >>lot of things right. It would be instructive to dig into the numbers and find out where New Hampshire falls short.
              >>

              >This survey actually came out a year or even two or three years ago, I
              >think. NH is at the top in most categories except the labor market,
              >IIRC. If NH had a right to work law, then it would score higher there,
              >and might even jump to #1 overall.

              Nice idea for a legislative project for next year's General
              Court.... ---Tim C.