Re: "The Free State Bowl" - was: It's Montana vs. New Hampshire next Saturday...any bets?

  • bbitsmark
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2004
      Why was this biggoted anti-fsp propaganda sent along to this list?

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "birvin" <birvin@a...>
      wrote:

      > Local News - Great Falls Tribune - www.greatfallstribune.comThe
      battle of the Free States starts at 2:00 pm (MST) Saturday and will
      be carried
      > world-wide by ESPN 2. On Friday, I will post an internet link so
      that those that
      > cannot get ESPN 2 can watch (and/or listen) it on their computer.
      >
      > To date, only one Hamster has placed a bet. I won't tell who it
      was, but he/she
      > has long been in a leadership position at the FSP.
      >
      > Mike Fellows, MTLP Chair, will greet all Hamsters and Western
      supporters
      > if they let him know when they'll be arriving (contact me or Mike
      in private).

      > Below is a Great Falls Tribune update on the Free State Bowl.
      >
      > Ben
      >
      > Article:
      > http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?
      AID=/20041129/NEWS01/411290303/1002

      > ESPN will shed a lot of light on Griz playoff game
      >
      > By GEORGE GEISE
      >
      > Tribune Sports Editor
      >

      > History will be made Saturday in Missoula when the University of
      Montana plays its first football game under the lights since
      Washington-Grizzly Stadium opened 18 years ago.

      > The UM Grizzlies (10-2) will face New Hampshire (10-2) in the NCAA
      Division I-AA quarterfinals, and the game will be televised on
      ESPN2. Because the cable network wants to show the game in prime
      time on the East Coast, the kickoff has been moved from noon to 2
      p.m., and portable lights will be brought in.

      > That means the game probably will end between 5:30 and 6 p.m.,
      which means after dark in Missoula.
      > UM Athletic Director Don Read confirmed Sunday afternoon that the
      NCAA and ESPN made the decision to switch the game time. More
      details will be released this morning, but Read said the school
      doesn't expect the change to adversely affect ticket sales.

      > "It's a good deal," said Read. "I was concerned last week, trying
      to hold off announcement on television because it might affect walk-
      up purchasing of tickets. But I'm sure we'll get over 20,000 this
      week, and we'll come out just fine (financially) if that happens.

      > "It's a different deal this week," Read added. "We don't control
      ESPN or anything like that. We don't have lights and I don't know
      where they will be coming from, but we'll find out (Monday)."
      > The Grizzlies assured themselves of a second-round home game by
      trouncing Northwestern (La.) State 56-7 Saturday in Missoula, where
      16,289 fans showed up. That was the best turnout for any of the
      eight I-AA first-round games and was about twice the average crowd
      of the other six sites.

      > The Grizzlies typically drew about 23,000 fans for each of their
      regular-season home games this season, but playoff attendance always
      is lower because season-ticket holders don't automatically renew
      their seats.

      > Read said the lights wouldn't be required for the start of the
      game, but surely would be needed for the finish.

      > "I would think by the fourth quarter, at least, we'll need them.
      It could be a little longer game, because both teams throw the
      ball," said Read. "I think there will be a lot of interest (in the
      telecast). A lot of people saw that game (New Hampshire-Georgia
      Southern) Saturday night. And the fact that both teams play a little
      more wide-open, it should be more of an exciting ballgame for ESPN."

      > Read retired as UM head coach after winning the I-AA championship
      in 1995, then he worked several years for Fox Sports as a football
      analyst, so he knows how television networks operate.

      > Dave Guffey, UM's assistant athletic director for media relations,
      said the concept of playing under the lights at UM has been
      suggested before.

      > "I know it was discussed a few years ago," said Guffey. "I think
      it might have been the Fox network, but it never went through
      because it was so expensive."

      > The other Big Sky Conference team still alive in the playoffs also
      will play under the lights Saturday, but it won't be anything new
      for Eastern Washington. The Eagles (9-3) play host to Sam Houston
      State (10-2) in Cheney, Wash., with a kickoff set for 5:30 MST.

      > "We've had lights (at Woodward Stadium) since 1992," said Dave
      Cook, sports information director at EWU. "We play a lot of early-
      season games under the lights."

      > The Eastern Washington game will be shown on ESPN GamePlan, a
      cable subscription buy.
      > If Montana and Eastern Washington both win Saturday, they would
      meet in the semifinals in Missoula. ESPN has a contract to show one
      semifinal on Friday night, Dec. 10, and the other on Saturday
      afternoon, Dec. 11. So it's possible the network could keep the
      portable lights in Missoula for another week.

      > Tickets for the Montana-New Hampshire game went on sale Sunday,
      with the NCAA mandating the basic adult ticket price of $18. Younger
      fans can get in for $10 and $7.