Re: [RLCNH] Questions about the New Hampshire militia

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13 1:30 PM
      At 02:25 PM 11/13/2004 -0500, Sam Cohen wrote:
      >Tim, Before you go too far on this subject, please note New Hampshire RSA
      >111:15, which I've copied below. (My understanding is that this law was
      >passed in reaction to the overindulgences of something called the "White
      >Mountain Militia," which was active some years ago; in my almost five
      >years in New Hampshire, I haven't heard or read anything about it except
      >historically, so I assume it's defunct.) I've been complaining about this
      >unconstitutional and insulting law to a few legislators (including Henry
      >McElroy) for a while, but other things -- including the election -- have
      >taken precedence. Now that we have a Dem governor, I don't think it's
      >wise to even try to repeal it for another two years. (Similarly, we're
      >going to be spending the next two years defending against anti-gun bills
      >in the New Hampshire legislature, rather than promoting pro-gun
      >legislation. Watch.)

      Sam, I think you misunderstand me. I'm not advocating or even
      talking about setting up a "private militia." I'm talking about the
      constitutionally-decreed New Hampshire militia; the official militia of the
      state of New Hampshire. I have no interest in private militia groups
      (although of course I don't oppose them either, and agree the law below is
      both unconstitutional and should be repealed). What I'm interested in is
      how the New Hampshire state militia is constituted, how it operates, what
      it does, who is in charge of it, etc. After all, if there's no militia, why
      is it specifically mentioned and lauded in the NH constitution?

      >On the subject of New Hampshire militias in law, look at New Hampshire RSA
      >chapter 110-B -- "The Militia" -- and RSA chapter 111 -- "The State
      >Guard." (Bottom line: we have an Adjutant General, who reports to the
      >Governor. "Armed Civilian Groups" are illegal.)

      What's it say?

      >On a different subject: What's this? Libertarians attempting to DECREE
      >what kind of rifle I should have? Shame on you. :-)
      > Sam Cohen
      >**** RKBA! (...the exclamation point means "shall not be infringed!") ****

      There we go again, a libertarian who thinks that "well-ordered"
      and "organized" are anti-freedom. :--) Of course, everyone in the entire
      United State has the Constitutionally protected right to own, carry, and
      use any military weapon they want (well, nuclear devices are subject to
      discussion). But if you're going to have a state "organized militia," it
      would be silly to tell everyone "ya'll bring whatever ya got." In order to
      get the job done, there must be standardization, IMO. (Next thing you know,
      my friend Sam will be arguing that having state militia military uniforms
      is anti-freedom....) ;--) ----Tim Condon