SoCalFSP at the Del Mar Fairgrounds gunshow

  • Will Albenzi (E-mail)
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 4, 2004
      SoCalFSP went to the Crossroads of the West gunshow at the Del Mar
      Fairgrounds near San Diego. We met a half a dozen people who had heard of
      "That New Hampshire thing", we spoke at length with several dozen people,
      and handed out a couple hundred flyers. We also tried a few different
      things, to see how the crownd reacted. It was a very productive couple of
      days.
      It took Phil and I about 15 minutes to set up the booth. We brought the
      FSP Banner, 20 membership packets, 10 bumper stickers, and several hundred
      General FSP trifold flyers. We found that when one of us went away to
      eyeball the goodies at the show, more people would come up to talk. When we
      tested it we found it to be true. If both Phil and I were at the booth,
      only a few people would come to our booth. If only one us was there, we
      would get gobs. After talking about it, it might have been that they were
      intimidated by approaching a booth where they were "outnumbered". The model
      held true as we found that when one person stopped, more people would listen
      in with interest then join in. So Phill and I each spent half of Saturday
      walking around the gunshow looking at the goodies.
      Though Sunday was a little slower, we met a bunch of people who knew
      about the FSP. We got to know the newest member of our activist core, Tim
      Jones. We also ran into one young man you let us know that the reason he
      couldn't commit was that wouldn't be able to move for a couple of years.
      When I told him that we have 5 years after we reach 20k to move, he was
      thrilled. On the other hand, we met a man who informed us that the FSP
      Leadership is being run by trilateral CIA masons with a pirate flag or
      something. He informed us that even his church had been "infiltrated". And
      that he got messages come down to him from the church leadership through his
      TV. Sadly, he is not going to NH with us...
      One gentleman even asked if he had to sign up now, or if he could mail
      it from home!

      Our thanks go out to Phil Boncer who organized the event and also to Greg
      Mark who found the gunshow, Tim Jones who participated in his first
      outreach, and all the donors who gave us the money to buy the materials we
      passed out at the show!