Re: [FSP] Friday lunch at Porc Fest

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 22, 2004
      At 05:41 PM 6/22/2004 +0000, you wrote:
      >The most practical thing for Friday lunch would be to announce a
      >potluck. I've never been to one that didn't have enough food. To
      >get the ball rolling, Carol and I will bring paper plates, forks,
      >napkins & trash bags for 100 people.
      >
      >See you soon,
      >Dan

      What's a pot luck Dan? I'm game, but I'm also unclear....

      Tim Condon, Participant Services Director, Free State Project
      Tampa, Florida - 813-251-2626 - email: tim@...
      A chance to live what you believe: www.freestateproject.org
    • Daniel Helman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 24, 2004
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Tim Condon <tim@t...> wrote:
        > What's a pot luck Dan? I'm game, but I'm also unclear....

        A potluck is a meal where everyone brings one dish of their choice to
        share. You bring enough to make up more than one serving of that
        item, e.g. a large bowl of salad, a cake, a fried chicken, a jar of
        pickles, etc. This way there is enough food for a whole meal for
        everyone. You put the dishes on a buffet table and everyone helps
        themselves. The hosts (us in this case) usually provide plates,
        utensils and sometimes drinks.

        The "luck" aspect is that the meal may turn out to be unbalanced, for
        example if everyone decides to bring dessert. To avoid this
        sometimes people have a sign-up ahead of time with categories
        like "salad", "entree", "side dish", "dessert", but I don't think it
        is really necessary.

        The advantage is that you will have enough to eat regardless of how
        many people show up. It is also very convivial since you are sharing
        each other's food.

        See you Friday,
        Dan