Charity Opportunity for the FSP

  • Keith Murphy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11 9:33 PM
      From the following thread:

      http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=58;action=display;
      threadid=7155

      By Ken Leidner

      As a subscriber to �The Telegraph� of Nashua, New Hampshire, I can
      testify that there hasn�t been too much negative press about the Free
      State Project coming through that newspaper.� Sure, there�s some
      anxiety or uncertainty, but mostly the articles I�ve seen have been
      positive or relatively neutral.� We have no guarantee that things will
      stay this way, and it behooves Porcupines to find ways to demonstrate
      good faith to the people of New Hampshire.� One small way, I believe,
      is by voluntarily helping to preserve a part of New Hampshire history.

      In the Statehouse located in Concord there is a Hall of Flags.� These
      are historic flags with some tie to New Hampshire and New England
      history.� And, they are in bad shape.� For a century or more they have
      hung behind glass, with no special care to preserve them.� Tourists can
      visit them and read about each one, but they are looking at tattered
      banners being ravaged by time.

      Currently, efforts are being made to protect and preserve these
      artifacts of New Hampshire history.� As one who looks forward to being
      a citizen of that state, I intend to give regularly to a fund to keep
      this piece of my future home state around for many years to come.

      It�s a small thing.� Why not send a contribution in today to the
      address below?� Doesn�t have to be much, but it is an important
      investment in the continued good will of the Free State.

      By Keith Murphy

      As I recall from my visit to the state house, the estimated total cost
      for restoring and protecting the flags is about $25,000.� Most of these
      flags date back to the Civil War, and bullet holes and blood are
      clearly visible.� They are a strong link to the past, and it would be
      great for the FSP to collect funds for the purpose of making a lump sum
      donation (say, $1,000 or more) to restore them.� Besides allowing us to
      put our money where our mouth is, it would be great press and help us
      be well-received in the state.� I'm going to send $100 this week to FSP
      HQ, marked "Flag Fund," with explicit instructions to forward the money
      in a lump sum to the state house fund on behalf of the organization.�

      I hope others will join me in doing so.� It's important to send the
      money to the FSP's Goffstown address, and not the state house itself.�
      Doing this will help the FSP� as well as the flags:

      Free State Project, Inc.
      74 Shirley Hill Rd
      Goffstown, NH 03045

      I might add that the tour guide told me that serveral years ago the
      legislature considered using tax dollars to preserve the flags, but
      decided against it because the cost was too high.� This
      tight-fistedness was one of the many things that sold me on New
      Hampshire.� That, and the refusal to install air-conditioning due to
      cost.� It was over 100 degrees in that building!

      ----------------

      So there it is: We're up to $200 in pledges. Who else will step up,
      and put their money where their mouth is? We libertarians talk a good
      game about private charity; let's actually do something to prove that
      it works. Send what you can today. Make a difference in our new home!

      Here's an article about the flags from www.nh.com

      Saving The Flags Of New Hampshire�

      Published: May 2004

      About The Author
      George Geers is former editor of The Telegraph and publisher of
      Plaidswede Publishing Co. in Concord. His company will publish
      "Franklin Pierce: New Hampshire's Favorite Son" in June.�

      They rot this Memorial Day.

      As they have the past 100 years.

      In wooden and glass cases so much in plain view that they are all but
      ignored by legislators and presidents; yet visited by school children
      and veterans, tourists and everyday folk by thousands.

      They are American flags, New Hampshire flags. War flags.

      Bullet-riddled. Blood stained. Powder burned.

      For five score they have been encased in the Hall of Flags at the State
      House in Concord.

      In a state where "Live Free or Die" is a motto supposedly of the
      highest order, the portrait of the man who said those words 200 years
      ago looks to the hall where New Hampshire's true feelings about
      patriotism can be seen.

      The flags rot.

      This Memorial Day.

      Last Memorial Day.

      Next Memorial Day.

      The American flag of the 18th Regiment of the New Hampshire Volunteer
      Infantry waved at the siege of Petersburg, Va., 1864-65.

      The American flag of the 7th Regiment flown at Fort Sumter and Drewy's
      Bluff, Va., in 1863-64. In shreds.

      This is how New Hampshire respects its flags.

      On a hot day in May, it is cool in this hall at the entrance to the
      Statehouse. The huge wooden cases hold 107 flags. A brochure will
      provide you a self-guided tour of the hall. You will see the flag
      Edward Parsons took from the wounded James Prindable and carried to his
      death at the Crater.

      You will see the colors flown at Bull Run.

      You will learn of James Brown who died while ripping the blue state
      flag to pieces rather than surrender it to Confederates at Poplar
      Springs Church.

      The portrait of Edward Cross, killed at Gettysburg, looks across the
      hall of marble floors to the beaten flags of his Fifth Regiment. Gen.
      John Stark, he of the immortal state motto, overlooks the sad remains
      of history.

      These flags are the history of New Hampshire in the Civil War, the
      Spanish-American War, the world wars, Vietnam.

      They flew at Richmond, Fredericksburg, the meat grinder known as Cold
      Harbor, Antietam, Wilderness, Yellow Bayou. ...

      And they rot.

      Why are these flags of New Hampshire allowed to disintegrate?

      Do we blame legislators always looking to shave a dime here and there
      but quick to wrap themselves in the flag of New Hampshire tradition and
      patriotism?

      Yes.

      Can we blame ourselves for citizen neglect?

      Of course.

      What can we do?

      Two things.

      Visit the Hall of Flags this summer. It's a quick ride to Concord. See
      the flags and walk the halls to see the portraits of history.

      Second, contribute.

      Ken Leidner, director of the Statehouse's visitor center, is a student
      of the flags and their stories and is an excellent guide.

      He's behind the FLAG Initiative (Flag Legacy for Additional
      Generations). This is a volunteer fund-raising effort to raise the
      hundreds of thousands of dollars needed to restore and ensure that
      future generations can see and respect the flags.

      Contributions can be made to: FLAG Initiative, Statehouse, Room 119,
      Concord NH 03301, payable to: Flag Restoration and Care Fund. The fund
      is managed by the visitor center and maintained by the state treasurer.
      For additional information, you can e-mail Leidner at
      nhflaglegacy@....

      Your dollars -- and dimes from schoolchildren -- can preserve a
      patriotic legacy and prevent an injustice.

      It would be nice to write a decade from now of the flags at the
      Statehouse that were saved from rot by the people of New Hampshire.