Re: [FSP] Re: Dramatically Increase FSP Membership Growth Now -

  • Freedom Fred
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 1, 2004
      On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 22:37, Bill Alleman wrote:
      > Rick wrote on 5/27/2004, 1:06 PM:
      >
      > > On that same token, I will not fight for those rights, it's their
      > > personal battle

      > "They came after the Jews and I was not a Jew, so I did not protest.
      > They came after the Trade Unionists, and I was not a Trade Unionist, so
      > I did not protest. They came after the Roman Catholics, and I was not a
      > Roman Catholic, so I did not protest. Then they came after me, and there
      > was no one left to protest."
      > -Pastor Niemoeller-
      > Upon exiting Nazi death camp

      Yep.

      If the government is abridging the rights of ANY person in ANY fashion
      we should be right there to eliminate it.

      I've taken on personal battles myself over "small" issues because if I
      don't, the "small" issues can turn into big ones.

      I would not want to marry another man myself, but I fully support the
      rights of others to do that if they want.

      Better, as someone mentioned, would be for the government to butt out of
      family issues -- including marriage -- altogether, because marriage
      gives government the "right" to control your personal and family life.
      I'd much rather see partners that wish to pledge themselves to each
      other draw up private contractual agreements. Alas, the current court
      systems may not respect such agreements, no matter how carefully they
      are drawn up, simply because they don't fit "traditional" agreements and
      can be challenged on that ground alone (though not necessarily in those
      words).

      If we want government out of our lives in our lifetime, we must push
      back everywhere it intrudes. Eventually, it will get the message and
      leave us alone.

      We Libertarians (bold assumption that most of us here are) will never
      completely agree on the fine details of Liberty, but I think we can ALL
      agree that we don't want government meddling in our affairs or dictating
      to us how we arrange our personal lives in any fashion.

      Thus, we can have a "Unity of Division" -- we allow ourselves diversity
      of thought, which I deem a Good Thing, yet be united in recognizing
      that:

      The Government has wedged itself up every orifice and in every crevasse
      of our persons, and it's going to take one helluva shower to wash it
      out.

      --
      Freedom Fred <fred@...>
      Freedom