FreedomFest: results

  • Jason P Sorens
    Message 1 of 1 , May 16 7:42 PM
      Just got back from FreedomFest and am making here a very quick & dirty
      summary.

      For a breakout talk, I seemed to get very good turnout; I would say
      perhaps 45 people (out of about 200 at the conference - I competed with 4
      other breakouts). I met a number of Porcupines, including Seth A.,
      Michael Edelstein, and a number of people from the LV area and the SF area
      as well. I also reaffirmed connections with the Therouxs (Independent
      Institute), David Boaz, Alan Bock, several people at Cato, met Ron Paul,
      Louis James, and Patri Friedman - floated the idea of a collaborative NH
      thinktank to David Theroux and a couple other people, & that met with some
      initial interest. We had dinner with Free Staters and a couple of
      prospectives; 14 were there. No one that I saw signed up on the spot, but
      Seth said a few did before I came, and several said that they almost
      certainly would. I'm still meeting people who've never heard of us!

      Overall, a success. When it comes to influencing libertarian opinion
      makers, our job is to renew our demonstration that we have staying power.
      We did that first by reaching 5k; now that we're past the vote, we need to
      have another recruiting blitz (and fundraising success wouldn't hurt
      either) to show that this is still happening, and that minor internal &
      external divisions are leaving no lasting damage. The people I talked to
      think that we are pursuing exactly the right strategies for the
      organization, but before they go out on a limb for us, they want to see
      that the movement (which is separate from the organization - one could
      disagree with or have no role in the organization yet sign the Statement
      of Intent and move to NH, for example) is attracting consistent,
      widespread support and could accomplish a great deal very soon.

      Jason P Sorens - jason.sorensATyale.edu - <http://pantheon.yale.edu/~jps35>

      <http://www.freestateproject.org> - Do you want liberty in your lifetime?