Re: [FSP] Re: SB 454 Update

  • Keith Murphy
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
      This is not at all "core" FSP infrastructure, but simply a private
      email list. It isn't even run off the FSP server, but instead is run
      off of the Yahoo servers. It would be like a Sierra Club member
      operating a yahoo group for like-minded environmentalists. Surely
      501(c)3 doesn't prohibit members of organizations PRIVATELY supporting
      certain legislation or candidates. As long as FSP resources (which
      doesn't include this list) aren't used to further candidates or
      legislation then we should be fine.

      Nevertheless, to avert the perceived conflict, I will not post anything
      else related to campaigns or legislation to this list. Have a good
      day.

      On Apr 1, 2004, at 3:47 AM, simplulo wrote:

      > Am I on drugs, or do I see people using core FSP infrstructure to
      > try to influence legislation? Not only is this a violation of the
      > 501(c)3 rules, it is a distraction from the FSP's mission, which is
      > to get 20K libertarians to move to New Hampshire. I don't care what
      > happens in NH now if we don't get 20K people signed up. Go ahead
      > and work privately with the porcs and others in NH, but this is not
      > an FSP function.
      >
      > Each of us, every single day, should be writing letters to the
      > editor and posting in non-FSP discussion forums and generally doing
      > everything we can to recruit new members.
    • Adam W. Gonnerman
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
        Keith,

        Send to me and I'll post anything pertaining to campaigns and legislation in NH on the FSP Christians, FSP States Rights, FSP Believers Church and FSP Pro-Immigration list (so long as it doesn't directly conflict with the aims of a particular list).

        Adam G.

        This is not at all "core" FSP infrastructure, but simply a private
        email list. It isn't even run off the FSP server, but instead is run
        off of the Yahoo servers. It would be like a Sierra Club member
        operating a yahoo group for like-minded environmentalists. Surely
        501(c)3 doesn't prohibit members of organizations PRIVATELY supporting
        certain legislation or candidates. As long as FSP resources (which
        doesn't include this list) aren't used to further candidates or
        legislation then we should be fine.

        Nevertheless, to avert the perceived conflict, I will not post anything
        else related to campaigns or legislation to this list. Have a good
        day.

        On Apr 1, 2004, at 3:47 AM, simplulo wrote:

        > Am I on drugs, or do I see people using core FSP infrstructure to
        > try to influence legislation? Not only is this a violation of the
        > 501(c)3 rules, it is a distraction from the FSP's mission, which is
        > to get 20K libertarians to move to New Hampshire. I don't care what
        > happens in NH now if we don't get 20K people signed up. Go ahead
        > and work privately with the porcs and others in NH, but this is not
        > an FSP function.
        >
        > Each of us, every single day, should be writing letters to the
        > editor and posting in non-FSP discussion forums and generally doing
        > everything we can to recruit new members.

      • Steve
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
          That this group has over 13K messages should be a clue as to its
          origins. If you go back to the beginning, all will be clear: the
          FSP was founded here, and the primary purpose of this forum remains
          discussion of FSP business, though we do sometimes tend to go off on
          tangents (I think a recent post of mine was moderated). It was a
          very long time before we opened the web site, and even then, some
          functions were never duplicated: if you click on the groupware links
          at the left (files, photos, etc) you will see how we used to
          collaborate, and still occasionally do. There is no other place
          where any member can upload files for sharing with the others.

          The group moderators
          http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freestateproject/members?group=mod
          are mostly from the leadership, including directors.

          Anyone who is still uncertain should read the statement on this
          group's home page:

          "This group/list is moderated and is for discussion of FSP business
          or FSP-specific issues or questions. This is the only official e-
          mail discussion list run by the Free State Project; other email
          lists are unofficial and run by FSP members or supporters. We also
          have a new web community that we invite everyone to join to discuss
          almost any topic under the sun on various boards:
          http://forum.freestateproject.org ."

          This is indeed a private e-mail list--a private official FSP mailing
          list--and a good deal more. Anything said or done here should
          reflect and further the FSP's goals, and certainly not interfere
          with them.

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Keith Murphy

          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
            I agree wholeheartedly:

            >Individual members can use the contacts we've made for
            >political (or any other) activity not endorsed by the FSP

            Just not in this Yahoo group, on the FSP web site, or in any way
            that falsely suggests FSP endorsement.
          • Adam W. Gonnerman
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
              Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass muster, Steve?

              Adam G.

              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                on 4/2/04 2:16 PM, Adam W. Gonnerman at freestatepatriot@...
                wrote:

                > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP
                > activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass
                > muster, Steve?

                Steve isn't stifling activism. He's got some valid concerns re: the 501(c)3
                status and whether or not a list labeled as "official business" for the FSP
                might likely be subject to 501(c)3 requirements - and if a failure to adhere
                to the requirements on such a list might jeopardize the 501(c)3 status once
                it's obtained.

                Of course, I and the people like me who were against the 501(c)3 status in
                the first place never even THOUGHT that something like this might come up...
                <cough>

                Yours for freedom,
                Lady Liberty

                "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
                active, the brave." Patrick Henry
                News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe.
                Visit http://www.ladylibrty.com today!
              • Philip L. Welch
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                  > That this group has over 13K messages should be a clue as to its
                  > origins. If you go back to the beginning, all will be clear: the
                  > FSP was founded here

                  Wait a minute. You founded the Free State Project on
                  freestateproject@yahoogroups.com? Is there time travel involved?

                  Philip L. Welch
                  http://www.philwelch.net/
                  http://www.PetitionOnline.com/philscar/petition.html

                • Alan R. Weiss
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                    My dear Adam,

                    Do you *really* think, in your heart, that Steve wants to stifle
                    activism?

                    All he is saying is "not on THIS particular list", and "not in a
                    place that can jeopardize the status of the FSP." We both know,
                    indeed everyone knows, that you support the mission of the FSP (as
                    does Steve). How can anyone who has read your words not know your
                    commitment?

                    Lets save our vitriol, bile, rejectionism, nastiness, and general
                    mayhem for the REAL enemies of liberty and seek to remember who WE
                    are. :-)

                    WE are better than them. WE treat each other with respect and
                    dignity. Most of all, WE don't eat our own over what in the long-
                    term will not be a crisis-issue.

                    OK, fellow Porcupines?

                    With regards to both,

                    Alan R. Weiss
                    Austin
                    Member, FSP

                    --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Adam W. Gonnerman"

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 3, 2004
                      Now, now, guys. Relax, Adam. Steve is trying to protect the Free
                      State Project in sounding his concerns, just as you're trying to advance
                      the movement with your call to activism. No need to get acidic. ---Tim Condon

                      At 06:16 PM 4/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                      >Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP
                      >activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass
                      >muster, Steve?
                      >
                      >Adam G.

                    • Adam W. Gonnerman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 3, 2004
                        The only good alternative, then, is that I leave this list.

                        Adam G.

                        <freestatepatriot@b...> wrote:
                        > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up
                        an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does
                        that not pass muster, Steve?

                        > Adam G.

                        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                      • Oliver Dyer
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 3, 2004
                          Hey folks, I monitor your chat as an interested man ready to go BUT you gotta
                          get off this government priviledge deal. The 501 (c)3 status is for government
                          sanctioned organizations meaning they can regulate you. I don't think ANYONE in
                          the FSP frame of mind wants that. As for the people who will not contribute if
                          you're not going to be a dedutable expense; forget them and move on. The
                          organization will suffer sabotoge at the hands of the contributors if you go the
                          501c3 route. Just quit now before everyone gets their feelings hurt if you're
                          not going to do it right. Oliver, in what I wish was a fsp state; Texas.

                          Lady Liberty wrote:

                          > on 4/2/04 2:16 PM, Adam W. Gonnerman at freestatepatriot@...
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP
                          > > activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass
                          > > muster, Steve?
                          >
                          > Steve isn't stifling activism. He's got some valid concerns re: the 501(c)3
                          > status and whether or not a list labeled as "official business" for the FSP
                          > might likely be subject to 501(c)3 requirements - and if a failure to adhere
                          > to the requirements on such a list might jeopardize the 501(c)3 status once
                          > it's obtained.
                          >
                          > Of course, I and the people like me who were against the 501(c)3 status in
                          > the first place never even THOUGHT that something like this might come up...
                          > <cough>
                          >
                          > Yours for freedom,
                          > Lady Liberty
                          >
                          > "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
                          > active, the brave." Patrick Henry

                        • Rick LaPoint
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 4, 2004
                            Why in the hell are we having this discussion?

                            On this list?

                            Have we not learned to ignore convention yet?

                            Anarchists, denite!

                            rick

                            <freestatepatriot@b...> wrote:
                            > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up
                            an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does
                            that not pass muster, Steve?

                            > Adam G.

                          • Mary Lou Seymour
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 4, 2004
                              Since the IRS wanted transcripts of radio interviews when the FSP
                              applied for c3 status last time, it's certainly possible they'd want
                              email postings. (and have the RIGHT to them, BTW). Posts labeled "SB
                              454 update" on the official email list would obviously be a red flag.
                              (The invasion of privacy aspect is only one of the many reasons i've
                              always opposed c3, of course.)
                              (And no, I don't read this list much anymore, just when people ask me
                              to "look at what's going on now".)

                              On 2 Apr 2004 at 17:47, Lady Liberty wrote:

                              > on 4/2/04 2:16 PM, Adam W. Gonnerman at freestatepatriot@...
                              > wrote:
                              >
                              > > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting
                              up
                              > > an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does
                              > > that not pass muster, Steve?
                              >
                              > Steve isn't stifling activism. He's got some valid concerns re: the
                              > 501(c)3 status and whether or not a list labeled as "official
                              > business" for the FSP might likely be subject to 501(c)3
                              requirements
                              > - and if a failure to adhere to the requirements on such a list
                              might
                              > jeopardize the 501(c)3 status once it's obtained.
                              >
                              > Of course, I and the people like me who were against the 501(c)3
                              > status in the first place never even THOUGHT that something like
                              this
                              > might come up... <cough>
                              >
                              > Yours for freedom,
                              > Lady Liberty
                              >
                              > "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the
                              vigilant,
                              > the active, the brave." Patrick Henry
                              > ------ News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe. Visit
                              > http://www.ladylibrty.com today!

                              ====================

                              My alternate email address is
                              libertymls@...

                              If you email me and I don't respond within 12 hours,
                              please resend to the alternate address.
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 5, 2004
                                Oliver, it's not possible for the FSP to suffer sabotage at the
                                hands of contributors when we have our 501(c)(3) status. Why? Because we're
                                not a political organization; we're a recruiting and migration-sparking
                                organization. Once in the Free State, it will be up to everyone how to
                                engage in activism to get to a drastically reduced state government. In the
                                meantime, however, the only job of the Free State Project is to gather
                                together 20,000 people who promise to move to the Free State, and then pull
                                the trigger (so to speak) on the migration. That's all. ---Tim Condon,
                                FSP member services

                                At 02:08 PM 4/3/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                >Hey folks, I monitor your chat as an interested man ready to go BUT you gotta
                                >get off this government priviledge deal. The 501 (c)3 status is for government
                                >sanctioned organizations meaning they can regulate you. I don't think
                                >ANYONE in
                                >the FSP frame of mind wants that. As for the people who will not contribute if
                                >you're not going to be a dedutable expense; forget them and move on. The
                                >organization will suffer sabotoge at the hands of the contributors if you
                                >go the
                                >501c3 route. Just quit now before everyone gets their feelings hurt if you're
                                >not going to do it right. Oliver, in what I wish was a fsp state; Texas.
                              • Mike Denny
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 5, 2004
                                  Exactly Tim....politics will come later.

                                  Greetings from San Francisco....looking forward to being with you all in
                                  the Free State.

                                  Mike Denny