Re: [FSP] Re: SB 454 Update

  • Keith Murphy
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
      This is not at all "core" FSP infrastructure, but simply a private
      email list. It isn't even run off the FSP server, but instead is run
      off of the Yahoo servers. It would be like a Sierra Club member
      operating a yahoo group for like-minded environmentalists. Surely
      501(c)3 doesn't prohibit members of organizations PRIVATELY supporting
      certain legislation or candidates. As long as FSP resources (which
      doesn't include this list) aren't used to further candidates or
      legislation then we should be fine.

      Nevertheless, to avert the perceived conflict, I will not post anything
      else related to campaigns or legislation to this list. Have a good
      day.

      On Apr 1, 2004, at 3:47 AM, simplulo wrote:

      > Am I on drugs, or do I see people using core FSP infrstructure to
      > try to influence legislation? Not only is this a violation of the
      > 501(c)3 rules, it is a distraction from the FSP's mission, which is
      > to get 20K libertarians to move to New Hampshire. I don't care what
      > happens in NH now if we don't get 20K people signed up. Go ahead
      > and work privately with the porcs and others in NH, but this is not
      > an FSP function.
      >
      > Each of us, every single day, should be writing letters to the
      > editor and posting in non-FSP discussion forums and generally doing
      > everything we can to recruit new members.
    • Michelle
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
        From where I sit (which happens to be NH), I see individual FSP
        **members** becoming more active and trying to influence
        legislation. The core FSP infrastructure has **nothing** to do with
        it and I can't understand how anyone would see it as either a
        violation of 501(c)3 rules or a distraction from the FSP mission.

        In fact, far from being a distraction, I believe the exact opposite.
        If only a handful of real activists begin to have a positive impact
        in NH (and we already are!!), it will dramatically accelerate FSP
        recruitment.

        Michelle

        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, simplulo <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > Am I on drugs, or do I see people using core FSP infrstructure to
        > try to influence legislation? Not only is this a violation of the
        > 501(c)3 rules, it is a distraction from the FSP's mission, which
        is
        > to get 20K libertarians to move to New Hampshire. I don't care
        what
        > happens in NH now if we don't get 20K people signed up. Go ahead
        > and work privately with the porcs and others in NH, but this is
        not
        > an FSP function.
        >
        > Each of us, every single day, should be writing letters to the
        > editor and posting in non-FSP discussion forums and generally
        doing
        > everything we can to recruit new members.
      • Adam W. Gonnerman
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
          I disagree wholeheartedly. Individual members can use the contacts we've made for political (or any other) activity not endorsed by the FSP and the FSP can report on it as an update on member activity without violating the beast's tax law. Yes, we should and are seeking new members, but we also want our future home to be as worth moving to as possible. Some have already made the move, others will soon and some of us will be a little longer. Should those who are there do nothing? And what about us who are in temporary exile out here?

          Adam G.

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Keith Murphy
          <keithrmurphy@c...> wrote:
          > OK, here's where we stand on Senate Bill 454:
          >
          > From what I understand, most of the testimony today was in favor
          of the
          > bill -- approximately a dozen FSP members showed up, along with
          > representatives from the NHLA and the LPNH.  The opposition
          continues
          > to be from the NH police chiefs, who are loath to give up their
          power
          > in deciding who is worthy to carry a concealed firearm.  The next
          step
          > is the committee vote, which will likely be held on 23 April.
          >
          > That gives us three more weeks to persuade those that need to be
          > persuaded.  The committee has 21 members, and we need 11 votes to
          pass
          > the motion to give the bill an "ought to pass" label.
          >
          > Eight of the 21 representatives have made it clear that they will
          > either support the bill or oppose it, regardless of our efforts.
          Those
          > in favor are representatives Bicknell, Welch, and Kennedy.  Those
          > opposed are representatives Robertson, Gilbert, Bemis, Knowles,
          and
          > Callaghan.  WE SHOULD NOT WASTE TIME AND EFFORT WITH THESE
          > REPRESENTATIVES!!!
          >
          > The other thirteen representatives have not yet indicated,
          directly or
          > indirectly, whether they will support or oppose SB 454.  Those
          > representatives are:
          >
          > Tholl (leaning NO)
          > Fesh
          > Nedeau (leaning NO)
          > Weare
          > Fish
          > Oliver
          > Winchell
          > Smith
          > Pentelakos
          > Stevens
          > Jones
          > Berube
          > Movsesian
          >
          > Here's what you can do:  Each of us, every single day for the next
          20
          > days, should send a letter AND an email to each of these
          > representatives.  It can obviously be the same letter and email
          > each.  Your communication should be friendly and informative,
          polite
          > and concise.  At all costs avoid an argumentative, defensive tone.
          >
          > Please don't make phone calls -- the NHLA has a lobbyist dedicated
          > working this bill with face-to-face contact.  Focus on the
          thirteen
          > undecided representatives -- they will decide whether this bill
          passes
          > or dies.
          >
          > In the event that you get a response from one of these
          representatives,
          > indicating whether he/she intends to support or oppose the
          legislation,
          > please post it here so the rest of us can adjust our efforts
          > accordingly.  To find the addresses of the members of the
          committee, go
          > here:
          >
          > http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ns/billstatus/commdetails.asp?
          > txtcommcode=H26
          >
          > LET'S GET TO WORK, PEOPLE!!!  TIME TO BE ACTIVISTS!!!

        • Mike Lorrey
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
            You are on drugs. 501c3 rules apply to spending money on advertizing.
            Individuals testifying in person and submitting written testimony to a
            legislative committee is not restricted by those rules, nor is
            restrictions on communication between members. What is restricted are
            official publications of an organization (i.e. Quill) advocating to
            membership and/or the public at large a position on legislation. The
            FSP yahoogroup is not an official publication.

            Recruiting members hinges in large part on convincing prospects that NH
            is truly a good place to do what we want to do. Part of that convincing
            relies on proving with real political victories that we can do what we
            want to do, even with the few members who have already moved here.

            501c3 rules only require that the leadership and the finances of the
            organization not be involved in influencing legislation.

            =====
            Mike Lorrey
            Chairman, Free Town Land Development
            - Gen. John Stark

          • Adam W. Gonnerman
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 1, 2004
              Keith,

              Send to me and I'll post anything pertaining to campaigns and legislation in NH on the FSP Christians, FSP States Rights, FSP Believers Church and FSP Pro-Immigration list (so long as it doesn't directly conflict with the aims of a particular list).

              Adam G.

              This is not at all "core" FSP infrastructure, but simply a private
              email list. It isn't even run off the FSP server, but instead is run
              off of the Yahoo servers. It would be like a Sierra Club member
              operating a yahoo group for like-minded environmentalists. Surely
              501(c)3 doesn't prohibit members of organizations PRIVATELY supporting
              certain legislation or candidates. As long as FSP resources (which
              doesn't include this list) aren't used to further candidates or
              legislation then we should be fine.

              Nevertheless, to avert the perceived conflict, I will not post anything
              else related to campaigns or legislation to this list. Have a good
              day.

              On Apr 1, 2004, at 3:47 AM, simplulo wrote:

              > Am I on drugs, or do I see people using core FSP infrstructure to
              > try to influence legislation? Not only is this a violation of the
              > 501(c)3 rules, it is a distraction from the FSP's mission, which is
              > to get 20K libertarians to move to New Hampshire. I don't care what
              > happens in NH now if we don't get 20K people signed up. Go ahead
              > and work privately with the porcs and others in NH, but this is not
              > an FSP function.
              >
              > Each of us, every single day, should be writing letters to the
              > editor and posting in non-FSP discussion forums and generally doing
              > everything we can to recruit new members.

            • Steve
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                That this group has over 13K messages should be a clue as to its
                origins. If you go back to the beginning, all will be clear: the
                FSP was founded here, and the primary purpose of this forum remains
                discussion of FSP business, though we do sometimes tend to go off on
                tangents (I think a recent post of mine was moderated). It was a
                very long time before we opened the web site, and even then, some
                functions were never duplicated: if you click on the groupware links
                at the left (files, photos, etc) you will see how we used to
                collaborate, and still occasionally do. There is no other place
                where any member can upload files for sharing with the others.

                The group moderators
                http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freestateproject/members?group=mod
                are mostly from the leadership, including directors.

                Anyone who is still uncertain should read the statement on this
                group's home page:

                "This group/list is moderated and is for discussion of FSP business
                or FSP-specific issues or questions. This is the only official e-
                mail discussion list run by the Free State Project; other email
                lists are unofficial and run by FSP members or supporters. We also
                have a new web community that we invite everyone to join to discuss
                almost any topic under the sun on various boards:
                http://forum.freestateproject.org ."

                This is indeed a private e-mail list--a private official FSP mailing
                list--and a good deal more. Anything said or done here should
                reflect and further the FSP's goals, and certainly not interfere
                with them.

                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                  I agree wholeheartedly:

                  >Individual members can use the contacts we've made for
                  >political (or any other) activity not endorsed by the FSP

                  Just not in this Yahoo group, on the FSP web site, or in any way
                  that falsely suggests FSP endorsement.
                • Adam W. Gonnerman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                    Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass muster, Steve?

                    Adam G.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                      on 4/2/04 2:16 PM, Adam W. Gonnerman at freestatepatriot@...
                      wrote:

                      > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP
                      > activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass
                      > muster, Steve?

                      Steve isn't stifling activism. He's got some valid concerns re: the 501(c)3
                      status and whether or not a list labeled as "official business" for the FSP
                      might likely be subject to 501(c)3 requirements - and if a failure to adhere
                      to the requirements on such a list might jeopardize the 501(c)3 status once
                      it's obtained.

                      Of course, I and the people like me who were against the 501(c)3 status in
                      the first place never even THOUGHT that something like this might come up...
                      <cough>

                      Yours for freedom,
                      Lady Liberty

                      "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
                      active, the brave." Patrick Henry
                      News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe.
                      Visit http://www.ladylibrty.com today!
                    • Philip L. Welch
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                        > That this group has over 13K messages should be a clue as to its
                        > origins. If you go back to the beginning, all will be clear: the
                        > FSP was founded here

                        Wait a minute. You founded the Free State Project on
                        freestateproject@yahoogroups.com? Is there time travel involved?

                        Philip L. Welch
                        http://www.philwelch.net/
                        http://www.PetitionOnline.com/philscar/petition.html

                      • Alan R. Weiss
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 2, 2004
                          My dear Adam,

                          Do you *really* think, in your heart, that Steve wants to stifle
                          activism?

                          All he is saying is "not on THIS particular list", and "not in a
                          place that can jeopardize the status of the FSP." We both know,
                          indeed everyone knows, that you support the mission of the FSP (as
                          does Steve). How can anyone who has read your words not know your
                          commitment?

                          Lets save our vitriol, bile, rejectionism, nastiness, and general
                          mayhem for the REAL enemies of liberty and seek to remember who WE
                          are. :-)

                          WE are better than them. WE treat each other with respect and
                          dignity. Most of all, WE don't eat our own over what in the long-
                          term will not be a crisis-issue.

                          OK, fellow Porcupines?

                          With regards to both,

                          Alan R. Weiss
                          Austin
                          Member, FSP

                          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Adam W. Gonnerman"

                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 3, 2004
                            Now, now, guys. Relax, Adam. Steve is trying to protect the Free
                            State Project in sounding his concerns, just as you're trying to advance
                            the movement with your call to activism. No need to get acidic. ---Tim Condon

                            At 06:16 PM 4/2/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                            >Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP
                            >activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass
                            >muster, Steve?
                            >
                            >Adam G.

                          • Adam W. Gonnerman
                            Message 13 of 20 , Apr 3, 2004
                              The only good alternative, then, is that I leave this list.

                              Adam G.

                              <freestatepatriot@b...> wrote:
                              > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up
                              an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does
                              that not pass muster, Steve?

                              > Adam G.

                              Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

                            • Oliver Dyer
                              Message 14 of 20 , Apr 3, 2004
                                Hey folks, I monitor your chat as an interested man ready to go BUT you gotta
                                get off this government priviledge deal. The 501 (c)3 status is for government
                                sanctioned organizations meaning they can regulate you. I don't think ANYONE in
                                the FSP frame of mind wants that. As for the people who will not contribute if
                                you're not going to be a dedutable expense; forget them and move on. The
                                organization will suffer sabotoge at the hands of the contributors if you go the
                                501c3 route. Just quit now before everyone gets their feelings hurt if you're
                                not going to do it right. Oliver, in what I wish was a fsp state; Texas.

                                Lady Liberty wrote:

                                > on 4/2/04 2:16 PM, Adam W. Gonnerman at freestatepatriot@...
                                > wrote:
                                >
                                > > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up an FSP
                                > > activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does that not pass
                                > > muster, Steve?
                                >
                                > Steve isn't stifling activism. He's got some valid concerns re: the 501(c)3
                                > status and whether or not a list labeled as "official business" for the FSP
                                > might likely be subject to 501(c)3 requirements - and if a failure to adhere
                                > to the requirements on such a list might jeopardize the 501(c)3 status once
                                > it's obtained.
                                >
                                > Of course, I and the people like me who were against the 501(c)3 status in
                                > the first place never even THOUGHT that something like this might come up...
                                > <cough>
                                >
                                > Yours for freedom,
                                > Lady Liberty
                                >
                                > "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
                                > active, the brave." Patrick Henry

                              • Rick LaPoint
                                Message 15 of 20 , Apr 4, 2004
                                  Why in the hell are we having this discussion?

                                  On this list?

                                  Have we not learned to ignore convention yet?

                                  Anarchists, denite!

                                  rick

                                  <freestatepatriot@b...> wrote:
                                  > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting up
                                  an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does
                                  that not pass muster, Steve?

                                  > Adam G.

                                • Mary Lou Seymour
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 4, 2004
                                    Since the IRS wanted transcripts of radio interviews when the FSP
                                    applied for c3 status last time, it's certainly possible they'd want
                                    email postings. (and have the RIGHT to them, BTW). Posts labeled "SB
                                    454 update" on the official email list would obviously be a red flag.
                                    (The invasion of privacy aspect is only one of the many reasons i've
                                    always opposed c3, of course.)
                                    (And no, I don't read this list much anymore, just when people ask me
                                    to "look at what's going on now".)

                                    On 2 Apr 2004 at 17:47, Lady Liberty wrote:

                                    > on 4/2/04 2:16 PM, Adam W. Gonnerman at freestatepatriot@...
                                    > wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Great Steve, stifle activism. Nice. How about someone setting
                                    up
                                    > > an FSP activists list? FSP could list it on their site. Or does
                                    > > that not pass muster, Steve?
                                    >
                                    > Steve isn't stifling activism. He's got some valid concerns re: the
                                    > 501(c)3 status and whether or not a list labeled as "official
                                    > business" for the FSP might likely be subject to 501(c)3
                                    requirements
                                    > - and if a failure to adhere to the requirements on such a list
                                    might
                                    > jeopardize the 501(c)3 status once it's obtained.
                                    >
                                    > Of course, I and the people like me who were against the 501(c)3
                                    > status in the first place never even THOUGHT that something like
                                    this
                                    > might come up... <cough>
                                    >
                                    > Yours for freedom,
                                    > Lady Liberty
                                    >
                                    > "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the
                                    vigilant,
                                    > the active, the brave." Patrick Henry
                                    > ------ News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe. Visit
                                    > http://www.ladylibrty.com today!

                                    ====================

                                    My alternate email address is
                                    libertymls@...

                                    If you email me and I don't respond within 12 hours,
                                    please resend to the alternate address.
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Apr 5, 2004
                                      Oliver, it's not possible for the FSP to suffer sabotage at the
                                      hands of contributors when we have our 501(c)(3) status. Why? Because we're
                                      not a political organization; we're a recruiting and migration-sparking
                                      organization. Once in the Free State, it will be up to everyone how to
                                      engage in activism to get to a drastically reduced state government. In the
                                      meantime, however, the only job of the Free State Project is to gather
                                      together 20,000 people who promise to move to the Free State, and then pull
                                      the trigger (so to speak) on the migration. That's all. ---Tim Condon,
                                      FSP member services

                                      At 02:08 PM 4/3/2004 -0600, you wrote:
                                      >Hey folks, I monitor your chat as an interested man ready to go BUT you gotta
                                      >get off this government priviledge deal. The 501 (c)3 status is for government
                                      >sanctioned organizations meaning they can regulate you. I don't think
                                      >ANYONE in
                                      >the FSP frame of mind wants that. As for the people who will not contribute if
                                      >you're not going to be a dedutable expense; forget them and move on. The
                                      >organization will suffer sabotoge at the hands of the contributors if you
                                      >go the
                                      >501c3 route. Just quit now before everyone gets their feelings hurt if you're
                                      >not going to do it right. Oliver, in what I wish was a fsp state; Texas.
                                    • Mike Denny
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Apr 5, 2004
                                        Exactly Tim....politics will come later.

                                        Greetings from San Francisco....looking forward to being with you all in
                                        the Free State.

                                        Mike Denny