Re: [FSP] Request for Status Report

  • Mary Lou Seymour
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
      On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:

      > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
      >
      > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
      Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website

      > -- The status of the President search
      Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing an
      org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties, thus
      making the pres jiob more "doable".

      > -- The status of any other searches for positions
      Still need a Treasurer, our Treasurer Mose Hastings is out of the
      country too much to do it on a sustained basis. He has agreed to
      review all quarterly reports.

      > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
      have
      > been added, but nothing has been said)

      Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator

      -- The current IT organization,
      > and why the server admin is unavailable for the upgrade of the
      member
      > database --
      I have no idea.

      The status of the trademark
      Unknown

      -- The status of the taxes --
      taken care of, thanks to Mose Hastings.

      > The status of the debate on reincorporating in NH and possible
      501c3
      > status as part of that

      Ongoing

      -- The status of a possible NH office
      First I've heard of it

      -- The
      > status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew, he
      said
      > due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for months)

      Jason appears to be as active as ever

      > Thank you.

      Thank you!
    • Jason P Sorens
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <emckinst@h...>
        wrote:
        > -- The status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew,
        > he said due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for
        > months)

        I'm still on the Board and b/c of leadership turnover have started to
        take a more active role again the past 2-3 weeks. The biggest issues
        we need to deal with now are a new President and a strategic plan for
        this year. Differing visions on the Board have delayed action, but
        with Jean on the Board now, there will be a majority for one view or
        the other at the next meeting.

        Jason
      • Elizabeth
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
          Thanks to you and Doug for responding so quickly. I just have a few
          more quick questions for either of you (or anyone else in the
          leadership)...

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
          <libertymls@k...> wrote:
          > On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:
          >
          > > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
          > >
          > > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
          > Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website

          I couldn't find her term anywhere... also, do we no longer have a
          Membership Director on the Board? Do you anticipate creating a more
          functional position to coordinate those duties (member outreach,
          responding to member questions)?

          > > -- The status of the President search
          > Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing
          an
          > org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties,
          thus
          > making the pres jiob more "doable".

          That sounds great. Any ETA on that?

          > > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
          > have
          > > been added, but nothing has been said)
          >
          > Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator

          I guess I was also thinking about Phil D., Dave M., the issue
          ambassadors, etc. -- I sort of found out about these people
          indirectly, but I don't really have a sense of how they work
          together, and I'm wondering if you were going to make some sort of
          annoucements about them, so people know whom to go to?

          Also, Doug, your post got cut off -- when do you think we'll see the
          ad strategy for 2004? And do you think Amy would be willing to make
          a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
          experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
          they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
          this area...
        • Lady Liberty
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
            On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Elizabeth wrote:

            > And do you think Amy would be willing to make
            > a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
            > experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
            > they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
            > this area...

            I've checked out Amy's newspaper ads (for the Killington ads) as well as
            her Web site, and you're right: she does have some good experience and
            skills.

            That being said, so do I. I currently work as a graphic and Web designer
            and I also have a good deal of experience with both print and electronic
            media (including radio). In the relatively recent past, I've provided
            the FSP with upgraded and updated brochures, fliers, and a couple of
            magazine ads. And yet you say we "finally have someone onboard with
            experience in this area."

            I certainly mean no insult to Amy whose abilities are apparent and whose
            volunteerism is to be appreciated, but maybe that's one reason the FSP
            has an insufficient number of volunteers for many things.

            Yours for freedom,
            Lady Liberty
            "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
            active, the brave." Patrick Henry
            Freedom in our lifetime! Join the Free State Project.
            http://www.freestateproject.org
            News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe.
            Visit http://www.ladylibrty.com today!
          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
              No offense intended. I meant "in an official position" -- as opposed
              to, for example, myself, who was tasked with the advertising, but had
              no experience in the field. My point was simply that it might be
              nice for the members to know more about her, since everything is done
              in secret around here, whether intentionally or accidentally. I'm
              sure your volunteer work is greatly appreciated, your name is
              mentioned all the time in regard to the wonderful flyers.

              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Lady Liberty

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2004
                Still looking for answers below, also a couple more items:

                -- No Board meeting minutes have been posted since 11/8, but it looks
                like policies have been voted on since then?

                -- The member db apparently didn't go up this weekend due to another
                IT snafu -- any plans on smoothing those out?

                -- Can someone clarify the relationship between Organizers and the
                Board, and how Board Members and Organizers and Officers are selected?

                Thanks! I know you guys are busy.

                wrote:
                > Thanks to you and Doug for responding so quickly. I just have a
                few
                > more quick questions for either of you (or anyone else in the
                > leadership)...
                >
                > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
                > <libertymls@k...> wrote:
                > > On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:
                > >
                > > > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
                > > >
                > > > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
                > > Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website
                >
                > I couldn't find her term anywhere... also, do we no longer have a
                > Membership Director on the Board? Do you anticipate creating a
                more
                > functional position to coordinate those duties (member outreach,
                > responding to member questions)?
                >
                > > > -- The status of the President search
                > > Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing
                > an
                > > org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties,
                > thus
                > > making the pres jiob more "doable".
                >
                > That sounds great. Any ETA on that?
                >
                > > > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several
                people
                > > have
                > > > been added, but nothing has been said)
                > >
                > > Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator
                >
                > I guess I was also thinking about Phil D., Dave M., the issue
                > ambassadors, etc. -- I sort of found out about these people
                > indirectly, but I don't really have a sense of how they work
                > together, and I'm wondering if you were going to make some sort of
                > annoucements about them, so people know whom to go to?
                >
                > Also, Doug, your post got cut off -- when do you think we'll see
                the
                > ad strategy for 2004? And do you think Amy would be willing to
                make
                > a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
                > experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
                > they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
                > this area...
              • Jason P Sorens
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2004
                  wrote:

                  > -- No Board meeting minutes have been posted since 11/8, but it
                  looks
                  > like policies have been voted on since then?

                  Looks as if Matt has finished the Dec minutes now, just waiting on
                  the Jan-Feb minutes.

                  > -- The member db apparently didn't go up this weekend due to
                  another
                  > IT snafu -- any plans on smoothing those out?

                  I believe Doug has gotten our volunteers together on this now.

                  > -- Can someone clarify the relationship between Organizers and the
                  > Board, and how Board Members and Organizers and Officers are
                  selected?

                  Organizers are invited by the Board onto the email list; future Board
                  members and Officers are selected from among their number. I'd like
                  to start member elections for the Board in May.