RE: [FSP] Request for Status Report

  • Doug H.
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2004

      http://freestateproject.org/about/bios.jsp#alexander

      > -- The status of the President search

      Ongoing. Dreadfully few applicants.
      The few applicants that are brave enough to step forward are are soon
      trashed by fellow Porcs.

      > -- The status of any other searches for positions

      Amanda Phillips is the acting Treasurer.
      I say acting because she has not been ratified by the BoD.
      We need a Treasurer, she knows how to to the job and she will do the job.
      We need an Overall Publicity Coordintor

      > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
      > have been added, but nothing has been said)

      There is no Overall Publicity Coordintor.
      Amy Finstad is the Avertising Coordintor. We expect to release 2004

      > -- The current IT organization, and why the server admin is
      > unavailable for the upgrade of the member database

      An overhaul and upgrade is planned for tomorrow.
      This is conditioned on the availability of Eric W, who has said he will be
      available.

      > -- The status of the trademark

      Elizabeth M had volunteered to head up the effort.

      > -- The status of the taxes

      A-OK, thanks to Amanda Phillips.

      > -- The status of the debate on reincorporating in NH and possible
      > 501c3 status as part of that

      Ongoing and undetermined. Libertarians aren't the most cooperative people in
      the world. :o\

      > -- The status of a possible NH office

      Probably soon.

      > -- The status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew,
      > he said due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for
      > months)

      Much more than before and probably more than his family situation can
      afford.

      I hope this helps.

      Doug Hillman

      > Thank you.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mary Lou Seymour
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
        On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:

        > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
        >
        > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
        Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website

        > -- The status of the President search
        Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing an
        org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties, thus
        making the pres jiob more "doable".

        > -- The status of any other searches for positions
        Still need a Treasurer, our Treasurer Mose Hastings is out of the
        country too much to do it on a sustained basis. He has agreed to
        review all quarterly reports.

        > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
        have
        > been added, but nothing has been said)

        Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator

        -- The current IT organization,
        > and why the server admin is unavailable for the upgrade of the
        member
        > database --
        I have no idea.

        The status of the trademark
        Unknown

        -- The status of the taxes --
        taken care of, thanks to Mose Hastings.

        > The status of the debate on reincorporating in NH and possible
        501c3
        > status as part of that

        Ongoing

        -- The status of a possible NH office
        First I've heard of it

        -- The
        > status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew, he
        said
        > due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for months)

        Jason appears to be as active as ever

        > Thank you.

        Thank you!
      • Jason P Sorens
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <emckinst@h...>
          wrote:
          > -- The status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew,
          > he said due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for
          > months)

          I'm still on the Board and b/c of leadership turnover have started to
          take a more active role again the past 2-3 weeks. The biggest issues
          we need to deal with now are a new President and a strategic plan for
          this year. Differing visions on the Board have delayed action, but
          with Jean on the Board now, there will be a majority for one view or
          the other at the next meeting.

          Jason
        • Elizabeth
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
            Thanks to you and Doug for responding so quickly. I just have a few
            more quick questions for either of you (or anyone else in the
            leadership)...

            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
            <libertymls@k...> wrote:
            > On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:
            >
            > > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
            > >
            > > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
            > Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website

            I couldn't find her term anywhere... also, do we no longer have a
            Membership Director on the Board? Do you anticipate creating a more
            functional position to coordinate those duties (member outreach,
            responding to member questions)?

            > > -- The status of the President search
            > Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing
            an
            > org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties,
            thus
            > making the pres jiob more "doable".

            That sounds great. Any ETA on that?

            > > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
            > have
            > > been added, but nothing has been said)
            >
            > Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator

            I guess I was also thinking about Phil D., Dave M., the issue
            ambassadors, etc. -- I sort of found out about these people
            indirectly, but I don't really have a sense of how they work
            together, and I'm wondering if you were going to make some sort of
            annoucements about them, so people know whom to go to?

            Also, Doug, your post got cut off -- when do you think we'll see the
            ad strategy for 2004? And do you think Amy would be willing to make
            a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
            experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
            they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
            this area...
          • Lady Liberty
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
              On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Elizabeth wrote:

              > And do you think Amy would be willing to make
              > a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
              > experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
              > they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
              > this area...

              I've checked out Amy's newspaper ads (for the Killington ads) as well as
              her Web site, and you're right: she does have some good experience and
              skills.

              That being said, so do I. I currently work as a graphic and Web designer
              and I also have a good deal of experience with both print and electronic
              media (including radio). In the relatively recent past, I've provided
              the FSP with upgraded and updated brochures, fliers, and a couple of
              magazine ads. And yet you say we "finally have someone onboard with
              experience in this area."

              I certainly mean no insult to Amy whose abilities are apparent and whose
              volunteerism is to be appreciated, but maybe that's one reason the FSP
              has an insufficient number of volunteers for many things.

              Yours for freedom,
              Lady Liberty
              "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
              active, the brave." Patrick Henry
              Freedom in our lifetime! Join the Free State Project.
              http://www.freestateproject.org
              News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe.
              Visit http://www.ladylibrty.com today!
            • Elizabeth
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
                No offense intended. I meant "in an official position" -- as opposed
                to, for example, myself, who was tasked with the advertising, but had
                no experience in the field. My point was simply that it might be
                nice for the members to know more about her, since everything is done
                in secret around here, whether intentionally or accidentally. I'm
                sure your volunteer work is greatly appreciated, your name is
                mentioned all the time in regard to the wonderful flyers.

                --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Lady Liberty

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2004
                  Still looking for answers below, also a couple more items:

                  -- No Board meeting minutes have been posted since 11/8, but it looks
                  like policies have been voted on since then?

                  -- The member db apparently didn't go up this weekend due to another
                  IT snafu -- any plans on smoothing those out?

                  -- Can someone clarify the relationship between Organizers and the
                  Board, and how Board Members and Organizers and Officers are selected?

                  Thanks! I know you guys are busy.

                  wrote:
                  > Thanks to you and Doug for responding so quickly. I just have a
                  few
                  > more quick questions for either of you (or anyone else in the
                  > leadership)...
                  >
                  > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
                  > <libertymls@k...> wrote:
                  > > On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:
                  > >
                  > > > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
                  > > >
                  > > > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
                  > > Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website
                  >
                  > I couldn't find her term anywhere... also, do we no longer have a
                  > Membership Director on the Board? Do you anticipate creating a
                  more
                  > functional position to coordinate those duties (member outreach,
                  > responding to member questions)?
                  >
                  > > > -- The status of the President search
                  > > Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing
                  > an
                  > > org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties,
                  > thus
                  > > making the pres jiob more "doable".
                  >
                  > That sounds great. Any ETA on that?
                  >
                  > > > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several
                  people
                  > > have
                  > > > been added, but nothing has been said)
                  > >
                  > > Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator
                  >
                  > I guess I was also thinking about Phil D., Dave M., the issue
                  > ambassadors, etc. -- I sort of found out about these people
                  > indirectly, but I don't really have a sense of how they work
                  > together, and I'm wondering if you were going to make some sort of
                  > annoucements about them, so people know whom to go to?
                  >
                  > Also, Doug, your post got cut off -- when do you think we'll see
                  the
                  > ad strategy for 2004? And do you think Amy would be willing to
                  make
                  > a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
                  > experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
                  > they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
                  > this area...
                • Jason P Sorens
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 9, 2004
                    wrote:

                    > -- No Board meeting minutes have been posted since 11/8, but it
                    looks
                    > like policies have been voted on since then?

                    Looks as if Matt has finished the Dec minutes now, just waiting on
                    the Jan-Feb minutes.

                    > -- The member db apparently didn't go up this weekend due to
                    another
                    > IT snafu -- any plans on smoothing those out?

                    I believe Doug has gotten our volunteers together on this now.

                    > -- Can someone clarify the relationship between Organizers and the
                    > Board, and how Board Members and Organizers and Officers are
                    selected?

                    Organizers are invited by the Board onto the email list; future Board
                    members and Officers are selected from among their number. I'd like
                    to start member elections for the Board in May.