Request for Status Report

  • Elizabeth
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 6, 2004
      Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:

      -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
      -- The status of the President search
      -- The status of any other searches for positions
      -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
      have been added, but nothing has been said)
      -- The current IT organization, and why the server admin is
      unavailable for the upgrade of the member database
      -- The status of the trademark
      -- The status of the taxes
      -- The status of the debate on reincorporating in NH and possible
      501c3 status as part of that
      -- The status of a possible NH office
      -- The status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew,
      he said due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for
      months)

      Thank you.
    • Doug H.
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 7, 2004

        http://freestateproject.org/about/bios.jsp#alexander

        > -- The status of the President search

        Ongoing. Dreadfully few applicants.
        The few applicants that are brave enough to step forward are are soon
        trashed by fellow Porcs.

        > -- The status of any other searches for positions

        Amanda Phillips is the acting Treasurer.
        I say acting because she has not been ratified by the BoD.
        We need a Treasurer, she knows how to to the job and she will do the job.
        We need an Overall Publicity Coordintor

        > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
        > have been added, but nothing has been said)

        There is no Overall Publicity Coordintor.
        Amy Finstad is the Avertising Coordintor. We expect to release 2004

        > -- The current IT organization, and why the server admin is
        > unavailable for the upgrade of the member database

        An overhaul and upgrade is planned for tomorrow.
        This is conditioned on the availability of Eric W, who has said he will be
        available.

        > -- The status of the trademark

        Elizabeth M had volunteered to head up the effort.

        > -- The status of the taxes

        A-OK, thanks to Amanda Phillips.

        > -- The status of the debate on reincorporating in NH and possible
        > 501c3 status as part of that

        Ongoing and undetermined. Libertarians aren't the most cooperative people in
        the world. :o\

        > -- The status of a possible NH office

        Probably soon.

        > -- The status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew,
        > he said due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for
        > months)

        Much more than before and probably more than his family situation can
        afford.

        I hope this helps.

        Doug Hillman

        > Thank you.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Mary Lou Seymour
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
          On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:

          > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
          >
          > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
          Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website

          > -- The status of the President search
          Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing an
          org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties, thus
          making the pres jiob more "doable".

          > -- The status of any other searches for positions
          Still need a Treasurer, our Treasurer Mose Hastings is out of the
          country too much to do it on a sustained basis. He has agreed to
          review all quarterly reports.

          > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
          have
          > been added, but nothing has been said)

          Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator

          -- The current IT organization,
          > and why the server admin is unavailable for the upgrade of the
          member
          > database --
          I have no idea.

          The status of the trademark
          Unknown

          -- The status of the taxes --
          taken care of, thanks to Mose Hastings.

          > The status of the debate on reincorporating in NH and possible
          501c3
          > status as part of that

          Ongoing

          -- The status of a possible NH office
          First I've heard of it

          -- The
          > status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew, he
          said
          > due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for months)

          Jason appears to be as active as ever

          > Thank you.

          Thank you!
        • Jason P Sorens
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Elizabeth" <emckinst@h...>
            wrote:
            > -- The status on Jason's current level of involvement (last I knew,
            > he said due to his family he would be essentially unavailable for
            > months)

            I'm still on the Board and b/c of leadership turnover have started to
            take a more active role again the past 2-3 weeks. The biggest issues
            we need to deal with now are a new President and a strategic plan for
            this year. Differing visions on the Board have delayed action, but
            with Jean on the Board now, there will be a majority for one view or
            the other at the next meeting.

            Jason
          • Elizabeth
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
              Thanks to you and Doug for responding so quickly. I just have a few
              more quick questions for either of you (or anyone else in the
              leadership)...

              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
              <libertymls@k...> wrote:
              > On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:
              >
              > > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
              > >
              > > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
              > Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website

              I couldn't find her term anywhere... also, do we no longer have a
              Membership Director on the Board? Do you anticipate creating a more
              functional position to coordinate those duties (member outreach,
              responding to member questions)?

              > > -- The status of the President search
              > Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing
              an
              > org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties,
              thus
              > making the pres jiob more "doable".

              That sounds great. Any ETA on that?

              > > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several people
              > have
              > > been added, but nothing has been said)
              >
              > Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator

              I guess I was also thinking about Phil D., Dave M., the issue
              ambassadors, etc. -- I sort of found out about these people
              indirectly, but I don't really have a sense of how they work
              together, and I'm wondering if you were going to make some sort of
              annoucements about them, so people know whom to go to?

              Also, Doug, your post got cut off -- when do you think we'll see the
              ad strategy for 2004? And do you think Amy would be willing to make
              a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
              experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
              they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
              this area...
            • Lady Liberty
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
                On Sunday, February 8, 2004, at 12:56 PM, Elizabeth wrote:

                > And do you think Amy would be willing to make
                > a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
                > experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
                > they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
                > this area...

                I've checked out Amy's newspaper ads (for the Killington ads) as well as
                her Web site, and you're right: she does have some good experience and
                skills.

                That being said, so do I. I currently work as a graphic and Web designer
                and I also have a good deal of experience with both print and electronic
                media (including radio). In the relatively recent past, I've provided
                the FSP with upgraded and updated brochures, fliers, and a couple of
                magazine ads. And yet you say we "finally have someone onboard with
                experience in this area."

                I certainly mean no insult to Amy whose abilities are apparent and whose
                volunteerism is to be appreciated, but maybe that's one reason the FSP
                has an insufficient number of volunteers for many things.

                Yours for freedom,
                Lady Liberty
                "The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the
                active, the brave." Patrick Henry
                Freedom in our lifetime! Join the Free State Project.
                http://www.freestateproject.org
                News, commentary, and a patriotic goodie shoppe.
                Visit http://www.ladylibrty.com today!
              • Elizabeth
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 8, 2004
                  No offense intended. I meant "in an official position" -- as opposed
                  to, for example, myself, who was tasked with the advertising, but had
                  no experience in the field. My point was simply that it might be
                  nice for the members to know more about her, since everything is done
                  in secret around here, whether intentionally or accidentally. I'm
                  sure your volunteer work is greatly appreciated, your name is
                  mentioned all the time in regard to the wonderful flyers.

                  --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Lady Liberty

                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 9, 2004
                    Still looking for answers below, also a couple more items:

                    -- No Board meeting minutes have been posted since 11/8, but it looks
                    like policies have been voted on since then?

                    -- The member db apparently didn't go up this weekend due to another
                    IT snafu -- any plans on smoothing those out?

                    -- Can someone clarify the relationship between Organizers and the
                    Board, and how Board Members and Organizers and Officers are selected?

                    Thanks! I know you guys are busy.

                    wrote:
                    > Thanks to you and Doug for responding so quickly. I just have a
                    few
                    > more quick questions for either of you (or anyone else in the
                    > leadership)...
                    >
                    > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
                    > <libertymls@k...> wrote:
                    > > On 6 Feb 2004 at 17:55, Elizabeth wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Would the FSP organization please update us (soon) on:
                    > > >
                    > > > -- The new Board Member (name, bio, term, duties)
                    > > Jean Alexander, her bio is on the website
                    >
                    > I couldn't find her term anywhere... also, do we no longer have a
                    > Membership Director on the Board? Do you anticipate creating a
                    more
                    > functional position to coordinate those duties (member outreach,
                    > responding to member questions)?
                    >
                    > > > -- The status of the President search
                    > > Still accepting applications. We are in the process of discussing
                    > an
                    > > org chart which would substantially change and reassign duties,
                    > thus
                    > > making the pres jiob more "doable".
                    >
                    > That sounds great. Any ETA on that?
                    >
                    > > > -- The current Publicity/Advertising organization (several
                    people
                    > > have
                    > > > been added, but nothing has been said)
                    > >
                    > > Amy Finstead is Ad Coordinator
                    >
                    > I guess I was also thinking about Phil D., Dave M., the issue
                    > ambassadors, etc. -- I sort of found out about these people
                    > indirectly, but I don't really have a sense of how they work
                    > together, and I'm wondering if you were going to make some sort of
                    > annoucements about them, so people know whom to go to?
                    >
                    > Also, Doug, your post got cut off -- when do you think we'll see
                    the
                    > ad strategy for 2004? And do you think Amy would be willing to
                    make
                    > a post introducing herself? I've heard she's got wonderful
                    > experience and skills, and maybe it would inspire the membership if
                    > they knew that we finally have someone onboard with experience in
                    > this area...
                  • Jason P Sorens
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 9, 2004
                      wrote:

                      > -- No Board meeting minutes have been posted since 11/8, but it
                      looks
                      > like policies have been voted on since then?

                      Looks as if Matt has finished the Dec minutes now, just waiting on
                      the Jan-Feb minutes.

                      > -- The member db apparently didn't go up this weekend due to
                      another
                      > IT snafu -- any plans on smoothing those out?

                      I believe Doug has gotten our volunteers together on this now.

                      > -- Can someone clarify the relationship between Organizers and the
                      > Board, and how Board Members and Organizers and Officers are
                      selected?

                      Organizers are invited by the Board onto the email list; future Board
                      members and Officers are selected from among their number. I'd like
                      to start member elections for the Board in May.