Re: [FSP] Full-Page Ad in USA Today -- Will You Contribute?

  • odellndc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 29, 2004
      Hi this is Odell Huff, I've been raising money in the free-market movement for ten years (IHS, LEC, GLIL, CSE). I don't wish to start too much of a debate, but I don't recommend the full page ad idea as a fundraising tool. For that amount of money--actually, much less--we could do direct mail or even hire a full-time fundraiser. FSP has the potential to raise significant funds from individuals, but an ad in USA Today is neither leveraged nor targeted. Rather, let's use the Internet to raise money for a direct mail campaign--keeping in mind that this is an election year. In any event, we shouldn't try to raise much money until a leader has articulated a vision for what X is.

      Yours,
      Odell

      In a message dated 1/29/2004 12:18:02 AM Eastern Standard Time, keithrmurphy@... writes:

      > One of the members of my local group, Gary Snyder, wrote to the list
      > today to argue for a big advertising move by the FSP. It has been
      > observed that members respond much better to:
      >
      > 1.) Give money so that we can do X.
      >
      > than
      >
      > 2.) Give money so that we can do things.
      >
      > Gary suggested a full-page ad in USA Today. A black and white ad,
      > full-page, costs $90,800 Monday through Thursday and $110,800 on
      > Friday. That's approximately $20 per member.
      >
      > I don't know if this much money is feasible or not, but I'm willing to
      > give it a shot. After all, if we don't try we'll never know.
      >
      > So here's how we'll do it. If you are willing to give money to this
      > idea, simply post your pledge at:
      >
      > http://forum.freestateproject.org/index.php?board=4;action=display;
      > threadid=5356
      >
      > Give no money now. In the event the pledges total $90,000, almost
      > enough to run the ad, the pledge collection will be triggered and
      > everyone should send in their money to FSP HQ through the usual means.
      >
      > For the record, the paid daily circulation of USA Today is 2.25 million
      > people. Also, as Gary points out, there is a good chance
      > of a huge ad
      > like this generating more regular media attention

    • Gary Snyder
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 29, 2004
        Odell wrote:

        > Hi this is Odell Huff, I've been raising money in the free-market
        > movement for ten years (IHS, LEC, GLIL, CSE). I don't wish to start
        > too much of a debate, but I don't recommend the full page ad idea as
        > a fundraising tool.

        It's not a fundraising tool. It's a membership recruitment tool.

        > For that amount of money--actually, much less--we could do direct
        > mail or even hire a full-time fundraiser. FSP has the potential to
        > raise significant funds from individuals, but an ad in USA Today is
        > neither leveraged nor targeted. Rather, let's use the Internet to
        > raise money for a direct mail campaign--keeping in mind that this is
        > an election year.

        I think a direct mail campaign to the hundreds of thousands of
        registered Libertarians - most of which have likely never heard of
        us - should be higher in the priority chain. But there are some FSP
        members, apparently, who believe we've exhausted efforts among
        Libertarians. Therefore, I made the USA TODAY suggestion as an
        alternative to ad placement in local, mainstream papers.

        > In any event, we shouldn't try to raise much money until a leader
        > has articulated a vision for what X is.

        X isn't a dollar amount. It's an ad.

        Gary

        > Keith writes:
        >
        >> One of the members of my local group, Gary Snyder, wrote to the list
        >> today to argue for a big advertising move by the FSP. It has been
        >> observed that members respond much better to:
        >>
        >> 1.) Give money so that we can do X.
        >>
        >> than
        >>
        >> 2.) Give money so that we can do things.
      • Pat
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2004
          Hi,
          I read the original post as an ad for recruitment, not fundraising.
          Was I wrong?

          Pat