Re: [FSP] FW: Google News Alert - libertarian

  • Mike Lorrey
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 31, 2003
      More than that. NH has been steadily growing since I was a kid, when
      pop was under 900k, when the popular bumper sticker was "Make it in
      Mass, Spend it in N'Hampsha", and before southern yankees morphed from
      'flatlandahs' to 'massholes'. More move from MA to NH than to all other
      NE states combined, and these people are typically the strongest
      supporters of anti-tax politics.

      =====
      Mike Lorrey
      - Gen. John Stark
      - Mike Lorrey
      Do not label me, I am an ism of one...

      http://search.yahoo.com/top2003
    • G Triest
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2003
        I commented on that, insofar that us FSP'ers moving 20K people there would be a drop in the bucket of actual pop growth, possibly diluted by the attitudes of govt brainwashed people who would swamp our efforts, like salmon swimming upstream (notwithstanding that the salmon en masse eventually get there ;-))

        More than that. NH has been steadily growing since I was a kid, when
        pop was under 900k, when the popular bumper sticker was "Make it in
        Mass, Spend it in N'Hampsha", and before southern yankees morphed from
        'flatlandahs' to 'massholes'. More move from MA to NH than to all other
        NE states combined, and these people are typically the strongest
        supporters of anti-tax politics.

        --- G Triest <garyonthenet@...> wrote:
        > I didn't know that NH had a population growing naturally by 10K a
        > year.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • apugh75
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
          First Post of 2004, YEAH I RULE

          Seriously now. about this issue I would just like to add this.

          "..It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
          --Samuel Adams

          --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Mike Lorrey <mlorrey@y...>

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
            [Moderator note: Thanks, Tim. This topic should now be moved to a place for discussion of NH politics. The issue and nature of the existing migration into NH was known and discussed as a factor prior to the state vote, and NH was chosen with the knowledge that this factor will need to be dealt with once we're there. It now does not have bearing on the task of getting our 20,000 (minimum) signed up and moving there, especially if the discussion of it distracts and/or detracts from our efforts to do so. PXB]

            Gary, the mere number 20 thousand isn't a be-all and end-all of
            the Free State Project. That's just the initial goal arrived at by Jason
            Sorens when he considered the number of Parti Quebequois (bad spelling)
            members that it took in relation to the entire population of Quebec to get
            the issue of Quebec secession not only on the radar, but actually voted on,
            not once but twice. In fact, ultimately there will be hundreds of thousands
            of freedom-loving individualists who will gravitate to the Free State. Why
            do I say that? Because LP presidential candidate Ed Clark got just under a
            million votes in the 1980 election. And LP presidential candidate Harry
            Browne got just under 400,000 votes in the 2000 election. Barry Goldwater,
            who was as libertarian as you will see on the national scene, got over 27
            million votes in the 1964 presidential contest with Lyndon Johnson. There
            are many more libertarians and other freedom-lovers in the country than
            those who are willing to make a statement today by casting their vote for
            the LP candidate. I'd say on the order of at least ten times that number.
            That means that there are at least four *million* people in America---and
            most likely many more---who hold our values and who will stand with us in
            dramatically reducing the size and intrusiveness of state government in New
            Hampshire. Will all of those people move to the Free State? Of course not.
            Most people live where they live because that's where they want to live,
            and they don't care to move. So let's say only one out of ten will
            ultimately choose to move; that's a not-unreasonable estimate. That means
            that at least 400,000 freedom-lovers will arrive in a single
            small-population state that had a TOTAL of 567,000 votes cast---for all
            candidates of multiple political parties---in the 2000 presidential
            campaign. Add to that the fact that New Hampshire already harbors some of
            the most freedom-oriented politics and population in the country, and you
            have a formula for a radical return to individual freedom, personal
            privacy, property rights, human dignity, and reduction in governmental
            power in a single, important, media-centric state in the United States.

            LET ME SAY THIS: All you people who are faint of heart and
            complaining about the choice of New Hampshire as the Free State, I'm going
            to have to write an article about why you all need to suck it up and
            continue marching with the rest of us Porcupines. This extraordinary and
            audacious plan to reform American politics is going to succeed, and not
            because we are shrinking violets and sunshine patriots. It will succeed
            because we're all going to do what needs to be done to make an example of
            what freedom means, and what freedom can do for all of us, to become a
            shining beacon to the entire world. ---Tim Condon

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
              Tim:

              Don't get me wrong. I not complaining about NH, nor the FSP. I am enthusiastic about the whole damn thing (in fact if you look in the files section, you will see posted the NYLP newsletter FreeNY with an article in it written by me).
              I was just not aware that our concentration of 20K freedom loving people was not only so diluted by the existent population (which I knew about), but also diluted by the influx of the equivilent of our 20K every two years.
              I see that the plan is to create a trend of immigration of freedom lovers from all over the country by example, and that the numbers we hope would run into the hundreds of thousands.
              (Of course I am also aware that the original 20K are to be activists and proselytizers of the existent population, but I don't know how effective that will be - people have inertia on things like this. I still hope for the best)

              btw, let me know where this topic should ordinarily post.

              Gary T.

> [...]

              complaining about the choice of New Hampshire as the Free State, I'm going
              to have to write an article about why you all need to suck it up and
              continue marching with the rest of us Porcupines. This extraordinary and
              audacious plan to reform American politics is going to succeed, and not
              because we are shrinking violets and sunshine patriots. It will succeed
              because we're all going to do what needs to be done to make an example of
              what freedom means, and what freedom can do for all of us, to become a
              shining beacon to the entire world. ---Tim Condon

              At 11:24 PM 12/31/2003, you wrote:
              >I commented on that, insofar that us FSP'ers moving 20K people there would
              >be a drop in the bucket of actual pop growth, possibly diluted by the
              >attitudes of govt brainwashed people who would swamp our efforts, like
              >salmon swimming upstream (notwithstanding that the salmon en masse

            • Jason P Sorens
              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
                --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "G Triest"
                <garyonthenet@y...> wrote:
                > I was just not aware that our concentration of 20K freedom loving
                people was not only so diluted by the existent population (which I
                knew about), but also diluted by the influx of the equivilent of our
                20K every two years.

                Of course, Free Staters will be squeezing out many of those people
                who would otherwise be moving in, by taking available jobs and real
                estate. In the meantime, the migration NH has had in the past is a
                good propaganda point for us. We won't be making a huge impact on
                the state's need for schools, roads, etc. compared to former
                immigrants. And if we crowd out immigrants from Massachusetts in
                future, so much the better - "better free state than Bay State"!
                (Recognizing that some of the newcomers are likely to be sympathetic
                with our goals nonetheless.)
              • Bill Alleman
                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 3, 2004
                  Jason P Sorens wrote on 1/3/2004, 11:27 AM:

                  > "better free state than Bay State"!

                  Better dead than Ted? >;->
                  --

                  BikerBill=- ©¿©¬