[FSP] Re: 10/25 - Boston Objectivist Salon

  • Phyllis
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 31, 2003
      Definitely Not

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "skypod \(Melissa\)"
      <skypod@D...> wrote:
      > No.
      >
      > Melissa (skypod)
      > http://profiles.yahoo.com/skypod
      > Praise God and pass the ammunition!

    • Adam Selene
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 2, 2003
        > She regarded any form of altruism as
        > downright evil, which is complete nonsense.

        Not really.

        al·tru·ism
        1 : unselfish regard for or devotion to the welfare of others
        2 : behavior by an animal that is not beneficial to or may be
        harmful to itself but that benefits others of its species

        > We do it because we love it.

        Exactly. Which is both selfish and beneficial to you, and
        therefore not altruistic.

        What she regarded as evil is self-sacrifice; doing something
        based upon guilt, obligation or a moral/ethical code imposed
        upon you. Anything you decide to do for your own emotional,
        philosophical, physical or financial benefit is highly regarded.

        Adam
      • Patrick
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
          Wow! I didn't realize I would ignite a philosophic debate by asking how many objectivists were in this forum...

          I'm sticking strictly to FSP business from now on.

          - Patrick
          http://profiles.yahoo.com/new_intellectual

        • Mary Lou Seymour
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 4, 2003
            The Policy Page, consisting of policies passed to date by the FSP
            Board,
            is now online at
            http://freestateproject.org/policies.htm

            As new policies are passed, they will be added. Hope this is helpful!
          • Alan R. Weiss
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
              --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Lou Seymour"
              <libertymls@k...> wrote:
              > The Policy Page, consisting of policies passed to date by the FSP
              > Board,
              > is now online at
              > http://freestateproject.org/policies.htm
              >
              > As new policies are passed, they will be added. Hope this is
              helpful!

              Considering that NH is a real Town Hall type of place, are FSP
              members allowed to vote and/or comment on policies?

              Alan R. Weiss
            • Mary Lou Seymour
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
                On 5 Nov 2003 at 13:17, Alan R. Weiss wrote:
                > Considering that NH is a real Town Hall type of place, are FSP
                > members allowed to vote and/or comment on policies?

                The FSP is a private corporation, not a town hall, and the Board sets
                policies, the Officers implement them. The FSP is not a "NH
                organization", it is a national organization.

                We do have numerous email lists, forums, committees etc in which
                people can comment to their hearts content, and yes, of course the
                Board looks at comments and utilizes input to make policy, in fact,
                most of the recent policies you see on the page were passed due to
                concerns and input from members.

                So certainly continue to post comments to the forums and lists, that's
                how we know what our members concerns are, so that we can set
                policy to keep our organization running smoothly to the benefit of all
                our members. If you see an issue that has not been addressed, but
                needs addressing, please send it on.

                And again, for those who were impatiently waiting for the Web Site
                policy and the Partners Policy, for example, we have a lot on our
                plate but are steadily working our way through the issues, and we do
                appreciate your patience. But we do get things done fairly quickly, I
                think, for an all volunteer organization.
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 5, 2003
                  > > As new policies are passed, they will be added. Hope this is helpful!
                  >
                  >Considering that NH is a real Town Hall type of place, are FSP members
                  >allowed to vote and/or comment on policies?
                  >Alan R. Weiss

                  Of course, Alan! How could it be otherwise? --Tim C.