Re: [FSP] Montana loses one. Good.

  • Rocky Frisco
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 2, 2003
      skypod@... wrote:

      > Montana loses one. Good
      > By The Helena IR
      > Opinions, Thursday, October 02, 2003
      >
      > One of life's earliest lessons is that you win some, and you lose some.
      > Fortunately for Montana, it lost one this week. New Hampshire's win is
      > Montana's gain.
      >
      > New Hampshire, whose motto is "Live Free or Die, was revealed as the first
      > choice of a group of libertarians nationwide that has been conducting a
      > well-publicized hunt for a state with a low population to which it can move
      > and start getting rid of a bunch of pesky laws.
      >
      > The Free State Project's 5,000 members already have pledged to move to the
      > state of choice, and they hope to attract a total of 20,000 libertarians
      > within two years. They think that's enough of a critical mass of voters to
      > transform it into a model of small government, few laws, and unfettered
      > individual liberty.
      >
      > The project made news here when Montana was mentioned as a likely target.
      > After all, a state made famous by the Freemen had to be fertile ground for
      > the freedom the members seek, like ending government restrictions on such
      > things as gambling and other "vices," and making sure that civil authorities
      > are basically limited to keeping the peace.
      >
      > As it turns out, Montana came in 3rd in the voting, right behind Wyoming. We
      > beat out Idaho, Alaska, Maine, Vermont, Delaware, South Dakota and North
      > Dakota.
      >
      > But as much as we're pleased to lose, there is one lingering concern. New
      > Hampshire, after all, is the state that holds the influential first
      > presidential primary every four years. Uh, oh.
      >
      > http://www.helenair.com/articles/2003/10/02/opinions_top/a04100203_01.txt

      My reply, sent to the newspaper:

      I find it informative and alarming that so many newspaper
      Editorial-writers are worried by the prospect of a return to the limited
      Government clearly required by the highest law in the nation, the United
      States Constitution, when every elected official, law-enforcement
      officer and member of the military must take a solemn oath to uphold and
      defend these very principles and the document that lists them.

      I would have expected that those with enough education, erudition and
      literacy to write Editorials would be far more worried by the present
      tendency for the highest office-holders in the federal government to
      abrogate and resist the Constitutional guarantees they swore to uphold.

      Rocky Frisco, Tulsa Oklahoma

      -Rock http://www.rocky-frisco.com
      --
      "JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm