*Issue*of*the*Week*

  • Philip Denisch (CBIZ MTDonahoe)
    Message 1 of 45 , May 14, 2003
      Aloha,
      Gad-zooks, I've run out of letters! Nobody ever tells me these things!

      After my initial panic-attack subsided, I had a brief email conversation
      with Jason about what to do next. His suggestion was to do an "Issue of the
      Week". And to prove we're not a cult of personality, I though I would do a
      why-something-might-be-an-issue-in-the-first-place series first. The English
      language may need 26 letters to enlighten the masses, but the Constitution
      of the United States of America only needed 10 ten amendments to set it
      right. Well, at least initially. Well, "set it right" may be a bit strong.
      Well...cut me some slack, I'm not Prof. Amar. Anyway, assuming none of them
      get rescinded by the time I finish writing these, it will help to serve as a
      basis for discussion on the issues of concern for the Free State Project and
      it's participants. Ok, ok, I could have gone back to the original seven
      articles of the Constitution, or better yet, natural rights, but that would
      have been Soooo messy.

      [Keep in mind this is the *Federal* government we're talking about here.
      After the Free State is chosen, we'll have to take a good, long look at its
      state constitution. For quick links to the candidate states' info, see
      http://www.freestateproject.org/aotw.htm#Q - darn that ego again :)]
      ----------------------
      Article the third [Amendment I]
      Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or
      prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,
      or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to
      petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
      --------------------

      Hmmm, Let's see how we stack up. Is anyone violating any of these?

      Establishment of religion: Well, the violations go back a bit, don't they?
      When did "IN GOD WE TRUST" (yes, in all capital letters) appear on the
      money? (We won't even discuss whether or not the Federal Reserve is a
      "branch" of the government.) And besides, where's all this WE business come
      from, anyway?

      Prohibiting the free exercise thereof: I wonder if the government would have
      something to say if I televised (nationally) a weekly live, baby Harp seal
      sacrifice to Poseidon. How about, "Survivor: Last to be Sacrificed!" Wow,
      think of the ratings! Would Bernardo Gui be allowed "the free exercise
      thereof"?

      Freedom of speech: This one, at least, seems mostly intact, although I doubt
      the Capital police would tolerate my spewing forth of copious racial
      epithets from the steps of the Jefferson monument. Not to mention the
      "public" universities that have "free-speech zones". That means the vast
      majority of the campus is a "only-approved-by-(blankout)-speech zone".

      Freedom of the press: We may want to take this one up with Irwin Schiff. I
      wonder what law the judge cites as referring to "abridgment of the press, if
      it concerns federal taxation". Would "The Anarchist's Cookbook" be allowed
      under the...I can't say it, U-S-A-P-A-T-R... act?

      Peaceably to assemble: As much as I may disagree with some of the
      protestors these days, restricting them to a particular area seems to be
      "making a law respecting". Either it's public property or it's not (right
      Tim?) I wonder if the Communist Union of Feminine Falangist & Uniformed
      Satanists (CUFF-US) would be given a "permit" to march on the Mall.

      Petition the Government for a redress of grievances: I am *glad* to say that
      I am free to petition the government for a redress of grievances, but I am
      *sad* to say that I won't be holding my breath waiting for a reply of any
      consequence. Besides, the immunity of federal employees chaffs a bit (right
      along the handcuff line). I don't even know the difference between
      sovereign, official, and qualified immunity, much less how I can get some
      for myself. :-#

      Well, how's that for a first "issue"? Please forgive my rudeness in not
      supplying emesis basins for everyone, but time is short and the Free State
      waits.

      Assorted hyperlinks, in no particular order.
      The Constitution Society: http://www.constitution.org
      The Electronic Frontier Foundation: http://www.eff.org
      Irwin Schiff (tax book guy): http://www.paynotaxes.com
      Some bits on immunity:
      http://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions/pub/96/96-50463-cv0.htm
      http://www.oalj.dol.gov/public/wblower/refrnc/wnew122001.htm#s7
      No-nukes protestors/vigilers: http://www.prop1.org/legal
      Ok, these guys too: http://archive.aclu.org/issues/freespeech/hmfs.html
      And the solution to most of the violations: http://www.FreeStateProject.org

      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      *~*~*~*
      The views expressed do not necessarily represent those of the Free State
      Project, its Officers, or Directors.
      And the views expressed by the Free State Project, its officer and Directors
      do not necassarily represent those of the author, so there. And the views
      expressed by my great-aunt Mary do not necessarily represent those of the
      Communist Union of Feminine Falangist & Uniformed Satanists.
      *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
      *~*~*~*

      If I missed an important resource, gotten something wrong, or if you'd like
      to make a suggestion or comment, feel free to email me at
      PDenisch@....
    • Philip Denisch
      Message 45 of 45 , Jul 8, 2004
        <Bang>
        In case you're wondering, that was an echo from the FSP starting gun.
        It went off quite a while ago. That particular echo was heard at the
        conclusion of the state vote (Last October, in case you were asleep).
        Starting gun for what, you ask? Well, my lethargic liberty-lover, the
        start of recruitment! I'm no mathematician, but 6,000 does not equal
        20,000. Now it is true that I personally feel the FSP has succeeded
        in the most important ways (identifying a freer-than-most state,
        focusing the attention of the liberty-minded, and reenergizing the
        freedom-lovers in NH and around the country - dare I say world?), but
        there remains that semi-magical participant count of 20,000. The
        number suggested as needed to keep the liberty bell ringing and to
        even add a few peals.

        Twenty thousand. Quite a few in many ways, but only a drop in the
        bucket to the span of history. But unlike that bucket of water that
        Columbus could have dropped in the ocean way back when that we would
        today find one molecule of in every teaspoon, the porcupines of the
        FSP are like ice-nine. Well, let's call it ice-five and three-
        quarters instead. The porcs won't lock up all of the liberty-minded
        people on the planet into a never-changing paradigm of forced
        freedom, they will instead spread the freedom meme around the state,
        country and world.

        So start running, don't say no one told you when to go. The clock is
        ticking, its ticks and tocks sounding in our hearts and minds,
        crescendoing until we really do grow too old, and fall into that
        silent shade. Reach out to your family, friends, and neighbors and,
        if they are willing to work for freedom, give a pen and sign 'em up.

        I came across a great quote the other day:
        On the Plains of Hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions
        who, at the Dawn of Victory, sat down to wait, and waiting - died!
        (George W. Cecil)

        K.V.'s Ice-nine: http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=415
        P.F.'s Time: http://www.pinkfloydonline.com/lyrics/dsotm.html (scroll
        down a little to the song "Time")
        (Tax Dollars at work) "Official government time":
        http://nist.time.gov/

        [Phil's ego is wondering if he'd look good as a bleached blonde and
        apologizing for the rather clumsy sentence structure.]