Re: [FSP] The problem with no platform.

  • Kelly Setzer
    Message 1 of 27 , May 1, 2003
      On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:13:47PM -0500, delcomico wrote:

      > Is it even fair to those who will sacrifice their homes to this
      > movement, to sell the sizzle ("Liberty in our lifetime!") when there is
      > no steak..?

      Yes, it is fair. I don't like steak, I'd much prefer a hamburger.
      Most of all, don't try to make me eat something I don't like. I will
      move to wherever for some sizzle so long as I'm left alone to grill my
      own hamburger.

      In recruiting "liberty minded" individuals, all the FSP asks is that
      you attend the barbecue. If the FSP suddenly changes course and
      starts enumerating a political platform, I believe that it will have a
      negative impact on recruitment efforts and may cause a rift among the
      current FSP agreement signatories.

      Kelly
      --
      Res ipsa loquitur - the affair speaks for itself.
    • delcomico
      Message 2 of 27 , May 1, 2003
        No kidding! Anything to make me a liar, it seems. Good to hear. ;-)

        --Kev

        Message 3 of 27 , May 1, 2003
          --- Kelly Setzer <kelly.setzer@...> wrote:
          > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 04:13:47PM -0500, delcomico wrote:
          > >
          > > Is it even fair to those who will sacrifice their homes to this
          > > movement, to sell the sizzle ("Liberty in our lifetime!") when
          > > there is no steak..?
          > >

          > Yes, it is fair. I don't like steak, I'd much prefer a hamburger.
          > Most of all, don't try to make me eat something I don't like. I will
          > move to wherever for some sizzle so long as I'm left alone to grill
          > my own hamburger.

          I would instead describe it as spreading by word of mouth that this
          restaurant has the best damn steak in the universe among closet meat
          lovers in a world of vegans. The public front of the restaurant is that
          they have an excellent vegan menu with soy based "meat" entrees. The
          vegans have never tasted soy steak that is so great before. They don't
          realize they are eating the real thing until it is far too late...

          =====
          Mike Lorrey
          - Gen. John Stark
          "Pacifists are Objectively Pro-Fascist." - George Orwell
          "Treason doth never Prosper. What is the Reason?
          For if it Prosper, none Dare call it Treason..." - Ovid

          http://search.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 27 , May 1, 2003
            >Tim chimes in: In fact, some Porcupines do *not* want to abolish what some
            >of us call "victimless crime laws."

            > >Really? Do you think so? I haven't seen anyone like that. There's one
            > guy on the forum who opposes legalizing heroin, but he's not a member.
            >
            > I have seen posts in the Christian FSP email list worrying that
            > the FSP is going "too libertarian," IIRC. There
            > are libertarian-conservatives in the FSP, I believe, who would not agree
            >with legalizing "all" recreational drugs. --Tim C.
            >

            >I'm a libertarian-conservative and I favor legalizing all recreational
            >drugs. It shouldn't be implemented overnight, but there could be a
            >definite move to deconstruct the War On Drugs. We could start by
            >decriminalizing marijuana (in all contexts, not just for chronically ill
            >medical patients).
            >
            >--Kev

            I am too Kev, and I agree with you. But we're not going to get
            away from federal anti-drug statutes. All we can do in any event is abolish
            such laws on the state level. Which most likely will be done (since the FSP
            isn't a political organization, it's ultimately up to the people of the
            Freestate and their elected representatives, yes?). --Tim Condon
          • Mike Lorrey
            Message 5 of 27 , May 1, 2003
              --- Tim Condon <tcondon@...> wrote:
              > At 04:13 PM 5/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
              > >Even the word "libertarian" can cover a lot of territory. Consider
              > >that we have two famous talk show hosts---Neal Boortz and Bill
              > >Maher--who call themselves 'libertarians', and they are both cogs
              > > of the Republican and Democratic parties, respectively. Boortz is
              > > a flag-waving Bushie. Maher is a gun control advocate who has
              > >attended Democratic fundraisers. How very liberty-oriented.
              >
              > Bill Maher is a collectivist pig, no doubt about it. But
              > Boortz *is* a libertarian, as anyone can tell if they listen to his
              > program.

              One of the great things about a libertarian society is that true
              liberty is the default state. If voluntary consensual groups of
              individuals wish to surrender their freedom to their respective groups
              (i.e. form a commune) within such a society, that is their right, they
              just can't initiate force to do so against anyone. That the reverse
              isn't allowed to occur is indicative of which is the truly just
              condition. Bill Maher is a collectivist, no doubt, but so, to my mind,
              are many christian oriented libertarians who submit to a collective
              religious dogma. There is nothing wrong with this at all, so long as it
              is consensual for all participants.

              This is the libertarian principle of enclavism at work.

              > Incidentally, he talked about the Free State Project for about 20
              > minutes today, took calls from two Porcs (including me), and outright
              > endorsed the project, saying he thought it could work. "Build me a
              > studio and I'll be right there with you!" he said.

              This is great. People like this need to be recruited as spokespersons.

              =====

              Message 6 of 27 , May 1, 2003
                >I'm not an anarchist, I believe in a small, limited government; I am quite
                >patriotic, and believe that America is the last, best chance for the world
                >to show how to have widespread freedom and justice (the "original"
                >America, as envisioned by the Founding Fathers, I should say); I support a
                >very strong, but light and fast-moving military for national defense; I
                >believe that the nuclear family is the main bulwark against unhinged
                >statism; I believe strongly in religion, particularly the Christian
                >religion, and am very pro-church and pro-organized-religion; and I am very
                >much in favor of individualism and capitalism across the board; I abhor
                >those who advocate violence to achieve political ends with
                >respect to the struggle for freedom in America, and I explicitly reject
                >the notion of secession, as does the Free Sttate Project. Pretty
                >conservative, hah? Of course I hold all the other standard libertarian
                >positions, but I mention those above to distinguish me from the anarchists
                >and left-libertarians. --Tim Condon
                >
                >Not all libertarians are anarchists. You sound pretty mainstream
                >libertarian to me.
                >Gary

                Yeah? Well I'll bet there are a bunch of libertarians who would
                disagree with you...but let's not quibble about it; we're all trying to get
                to the same place.

                >P.S. My take is that the FSP does not explicitly reject the notion of
                >secession, but sees it as a last resort.

                The FSP isn't a secessionist movement, period. If things get dicey
                years in the future, that will be for those people to deal with. However,
                after everyone sees the extraordinary success of the Freestate, America
                will turn around and start re-embracing the freedoms that the Founding
                Fathers bequeathed to us, thus negating any silliness about secession now
                or in the future. At least that's the theory.... ---Tim C.
                Message 7 of 27 , May 1, 2003
                  At 04:13 PM 5/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
                  >Even the word "libertarian" can cover a lot of territory. Consider that
                  >we have two famous talk show hosts---Neal Boortz and Bill Maher--who
                  >call themselves 'libertarians', and they are both cogs of the Republican
                  >and Democratic parties, respectively. Boortz is a flag-waving Bushie.
                  >Maher is a gun control advocate who has attended Democratic fundraisers.
                  >How very liberty-oriented.

                  Bill Maher is a collectivist pig, no doubt about it. But Boortz
                  *is* a libertarian, as anyone can tell if they listen to his program.
                  Incidentally, he talked about the Free State Project for about 20 minutes
                  today, took calls from two Porcs (including me), and outright endorsed the
                  project, saying he thought it could work. "Build me a studio and I'll be
                  right there with you!" he said. ---Tim Condon
                • PJ
                  Message 8 of 27 , May 1, 2003
                    Yes. "Quality libertarian activists" and "subtlety of thought".

                    "Influence is not an automatic gift bestowed on good people. It is earned. It falls to a huge variety of people, most of whom consciously plan on acquiring influence." ----Hugh Hewitt

                    Message 9 of 27 , May 2, 2003
                      I find myself pretty much in agreement with our thoughts Tim. Ouch, does that mean that my next stop is a jail cell???? (smile)
                      >How, exactly, do you distinguish between a conservative libertarian and a
                      >libertarian?
                      >Gary

                      I'm not an anarchist, I believe in a small, limited government; I
                      am quite patriotic, and believe that America is the last, best chance for
                      the world to show how to have widespread freedom and justice (the
                      "original" America, as envisioned by the Founding Fathers, I should say); I
                      support a very strong, but light and fast-moving military for national
                      defense; I believe that the nuclear family is the main bulwark against
                      unhinged statism; I believe strongly in religion, particularly the
                      Christian religion, and am very pro-church and pro-organized-religion; and
                      I am very much in favor of individualism and capitalism across the board; I
                      abhor those who advocate violence to achieve political ends with respect to
                      the struggle for freedom in America, and I explicitly reject the notion of
                      secession, as does the Free Sttate Project. Pretty conservative, hah? Of
                      course I hold all the other standard libertarian positions, but I mention
                      those above to distinguish me from the anarchists and
                      left-libertarians. --Tim Condon

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • Zack Bass
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 2, 2003
                        [Moderator Note: I'm letting this through because the last bit peripherally has to do with our communication strategy, but discussion of drug policy is off-topic, so if you want to discuss victimless crime policy, please respond on crackerbarrel. Thanks!]

                        --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Tim Condon <tcondon@f...> wrote:

                        > .... In fact, some Porcupines do *not* want to abolish
                        > what some of us call "victimless crime laws." Why? Because they
                        > disagree that such crimes are "victimless."

                        Who do they think is the Victim? And whom do they propose to punish?

                        The term "Victimless" is shorthand; it also implies a Perpetrator.
                        You cannot make a Criminal Law against something without stating whom
                        you will punish. The Perpetrator cannot also be the Victim. Saying
                        that a whore or a drug user is a Victim does not justify punishing him.

                        People who pretend that Victimless Crimes actually have Victims are
                        simply liars who want to pretend to accept the notion of a Victimless
                        Act and yet punish people they don't like anyhow.

                        I believe that Porcupines who do this may be convinced by pointing out
                        to them their error. I do not believe that the Statists in the place
                        we intend to move to will ever be so convinced though.
                      • Amanda Phillips
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 3, 2003
                          >>Kevin said: (B) Call ourselves 'libertarians';
                          >>
                          >>Amanda said: But we don't call ourselves 'libertarians.' I
                          am an
                          >>anarchist. I think Tim C is a Republican. And there are a
                          lot of people
                          >>who consider themselves libertarian. That's OK with me...
                          I'm happy that
                          >>you Republicans and Libertarians will be moving to my Free
                          State because I
                          >>think you want most of the same things that I want. If we
                          ever get to the
                          >>point where we're arguing amongst ourselves about whether or
                          not we should
                          >>privatize the police force, I'll be a happy little anarchist.
                          >
                          > Tim chimes in: Yep, I'm a registered Republican, and
                          what I'd call
                          >a "conservative libertarian." It's worth noting that there
                          are plenty of
                          >freedom-loving *non*-libertarians, both in the world and in
                          the FSP. To
                          >coin a phrase, we have a "big tent." All you have to do to
                          comport with the
                          >goals of the FSP is believe in individual freedom and support
                          the ultimate
                          >reduction in size of state government by 2/3 or more (more,
                          in my case).

                          Excellent! How about reducing the state government by 3/3?

                          >>Amanda said: Since I take issue with A, B, and C, I don't
                          need to tell you
                          >>that I think D is wrong. Also, I *hate* the word "invade."
                          We want
                          >>freedom, not an invasion.
                          >>Peace,
                          >>Amanda
                          >
                          > Tim chimes in: Agree strongly with Amanda, even
                          though she's a
                          >dangerous anarchist. (joak, joak!)

                          Not nearly as dangerous as you statists! :) But I will work
                          with you statists as long as you're moving in my direction...
                          even though you are ultimately misguided! (joak, joak!)

                          Peace,

                          Amanda
                          http://amanda42.livejournal.com
                        • Jim
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 4, 2003
                            This IS a big tent. I have never seen an anarchist Republic in
                            history. Can anybody think of one? I'm a
                            Conservative /Libertarian /Southern Nationalist if it comes to
                            definitions. I'm a registered Repub because I don't want to dis-
                            enfranchise myself. I vote Repub. mostly in local elections. One of
                            our own SN's is looking like he's going to run in the Republican
                            Primaries in theb Southern States against GW. His main point is to
                            get the intrusive Federal Government into the public debate. Rev.
                            John Thomas Cripps looks like he he will be going after the
                            Governorship of Mississippi. He was one of the main players in the
                            Mississippi flag fight and got the thing out to be voted on by the
                            people. The entire States Rights and the concept of a "Republic of
                            Republics" is what I'm about.

                            Jim

                            --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Phillips