Re: [FSP] Re: One Thing about the abolish Drug Laws argument

  • Kelly Setzer
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1 1:47 PM
      [Moderator note: This is getting off of FSP business... let's try to keep it on track!]

      On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 08:05:20PM -0000, Zack Bass wrote:
      > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wilson"
      > <wilsonmc@m...> wrote:
      > > Please folks, don't forget about the feds. Look at what they're doing
      > > in States which have legalized medicinal Marijuana;, they are still
      > > closing clinics and enforcing the Federal laws.
      > >

      > That's not a problem. No one is suggesting that we get rid of Federal
      > Drugs Laws, any more than we will get rid of Federal Gun Laws. what
      > we CAN AND WILL do, though, is get rid of STATE Prohibition. And
      > there is nothing the Feds can do about tHAT. They are still welcome
      > to spend THEIR money to enforce whatever Federal Laws they like; but
      > there's no reason a STATE ought to be doing it for them.

      The Office of National Drug Control Policy involved itself in a recent
      Nevada ballot initiative:

      http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multipage/documents/02585209.htm

      Walters also made a point of interjecting himself into the Arizona,
      Nevada, and Ohio initiative contests personally, traveling to all
      three states for public appearances. His campaigning raised questions
      about the propriety of a federal official stumping against statewide
      ballot initiatives, which Walters dismissed with a combination of
      arguments: he was begged by anti-initiative forces to make an
      appearance, and he wasn?t spending ONDCP cash to do so.

      The minimum drinking age and highway speed limits are two other examples
      in which the federal government interposed itself in state-level policy
      making.

      Kelly
      --
      One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends
      can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention.
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1 3:40 PM
        <wilsonmc@m...> wrote:
        > Please folks, don't forget about the feds. Look at what they're
        doing in States which have legalized medicinal Marijuana;, they are
        still closing clinics and enforcing the Federal laws. So we can talk
        all we want about making this legal and that legal and until you can
        figure out a way to make the feds go away, nothing changes. Local
        taxes, local victimless crimes can all be voted on and changed,
        drivers license requirements etc can all be locally changed, once you
        start messing with what the feds say is their direct domain, I don't
        care if you have 20,000 like minded people, you will lose.

        > Baby steps, folks baby steps
        >
        > Michael

        In Montana, the feds can't come in within permission from the
        Sheriff! We'll need to elect a good Sheriff to begin with, who will
        not enforce victimless 'laws'.

        Note the (') marks. Many of these 'laws' are not Laws. They are
        Statutes or Regulations. Violation of them is NOT a 'Crime'.
        A 'Crime' needs a Victim to swear out a Complaint.

        Motie