RE: [FSP] 'Social Freedoms'

  • delcomico
    Message 1 of 71 , May 1 1:56 PM
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Zack Bass [mailto:yahoo@...]
      Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2003 1:12 PM
      To: freestateproject@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [FSP] Elizabeth on MSNBC

      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, Kelly Setzer
      <kelly.setzer@p...> wrote:
      > On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 02:58:51AM -0400, Gary Snyder wrote:
      >
      > > THIS dialogue isn't a problem. But when your stance that we
      > > shouldn't take advantage of an opportunity to comment on drug
      > > prohibition on TV is shared by someone in position to make that
      > > comment, it's a problem, IMO.
      >
      > It seems like a very large contigent of the participants have
      > expressed a desire to stay under the radar, as it were. By words and
      > deeds, the FSP leadership has demonstrated that all efforts are in
      > reaching the membership goals, not towards political action.

      It seems that a decision HAS been made to emphasize TAXES as our
      priority.
      How many people do you think would move to, say, Wyoming for the LOWER
      TAXES, considering that they will make less money there?

      Here's a simple math problem for those who have successfully completed
      the sixth grade:
      Let's say you live in a VERY HIGH-TAX State, where the combination of
      State Income Tax and Sales Tax takes 20% of your annual salary, which
      is $40,000.
      And say you own Real Estate worth $100,000, which is taxed at the rate
      of 15 mils (1.5 percent) per year.
      Now suppose you move to Wyoming, where you will earn $30,000 per year.

      Problem to solve: How low must the State Income Tax, Sales Tax, and
      Property Tax be so that you will be as well off FINANCIALLY as you
      were in the high-tax State?

      Now tell me we ought to emphasize TAXES as our priority! Whom are we
      going to sign up, greedy stupid people?
      Let's face it, people are going to move to the Free State to create
      and enjoy SOCIAL FREEDOMS, or not at all.>

      No, Zack, YOU will move to the Free State to create and enjoy 'social
      freedoms', since they are an extremely high priority for you,
      personally. I believe social freedoms are somewhat important, but my
      major motivation is to move somewhere where the Second Amendment is
      respected, property rights are absolute, the long arm of Washington is
      further away, and taxes are lower.

      My 'inherent rights' to stand on the steps of the State Capitol naked
      and smoke a doobie are not a high priority on this list of issues.

      --Kev
    • Mary Lou Seymour
      Message 71 of 71 , May 2 8:52 PM
        And should someone feel moved to take a very EZ action, go to the
        newsletter pg, download the May Quill, print off a few copies and give
        them to your friends (or leave a few in your local library, coffeeshop,
        university, convenience store, laundromat, bus stop, etc. This would
        cost you, oh, a coupla bucks at Kinko's, and, if you simply carry them
        with you on your daily rounds, no time at all.