Re: [FSP] Re: One Thing about the abolish Drug Laws argument

  • Michael Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2003
      I don't worry about a local or federal agent breaking into my house now to see if I have roach in my ashtrays, and I believe you're missing my point, you can tell local officers not to enforce or to not enforce as severly, and probably get away with it, BUT if you go and 'legalize heroin, legalize marijuana, legalize crack cocaine in your state', the feds can and will show up in your state and start enforcing federal laws against the war on drugs, and yes they will gladly spend thousands of dollars to make their point. And if you legalize Automatic weapons in the State which are prohibited by Federal law, you will face the same problems. I personnaly could care less how anyone spends their spare time, what I believe is that only by reducing the regulations that have been imposed by misuse of the Interstate Commerce Act can you begin to regain your freedoms. State are not regularitory by nature, they become regulated because of a fear of losing federal monies.
      If the State itself is willing to provide for maintenance of highways, the public safety and showing a true free market system works and is willing to ween itself off the federal feeding trough then it will be intrinsically more free than anything out there now.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 1, 2003
        At 03:54 PM 5/1/2003 -0500, you wrote:
        >I don't worry about a local or federal agent breaking into my house now to
        >see if I have roach in my ashtrays, and I believe you're missing my point,
        >you can tell local officers not to enforce or to not enforce as severly,
        >and probably get away with it, BUT if you go and 'legalize heroin,
        >legalize marijuana, legalize crack cocaine in your state', the feds can
        >and will show up in your state and start enforcing federal laws against
        >the war on drugs, and yes they will gladly spend thousands of dollars to
        >make their point. And if you legalize Automatic weapons in the State
        >which are prohibited by Federal law, you will face the same problems.

        Mike, we're not going to go off willy-nilly and "legalize"
        things...there just aren't going to be any laws with regard to those
        things. Think about it: If there's no law about concealed or open
        carry...then you can do what you want, right? And if there's no law about
        recreational drugs, then you need only obey the federal statutes, because
        the state doesn't have anything to say about it. I make that distinction
        (perhaps without a difference). We won't be passing laws that say "everyone
        can open or concealed carry." Or "everyone can smoke pot." As Barry
        Goldwater famously said in 1964 (and was slandered for it), "I'm here to
        repeal laws, not pass more of them." ---Tim Condon