Re: One Thing about the abolish Drug Laws argument

  • Zack Bass
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2003
      --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wilson"
      <wilsonmc@m...> wrote:
      > Please folks, don't forget about the feds. Look at what they're doing
      > in States which have legalized medicinal Marijuana;, they are still
      > closing clinics and enforcing the Federal laws.

      That's not a problem. No one is suggesting that we get rid of Federal
      Drugs Laws, any more than we will get rid of Federal Gun Laws. what
      we CAN AND WILL do, though, is get rid of STATE Prohibition. And
      there is nothing the Feds can do about tHAT. They are still welcome
      to spend THEIR money to enforce whatever Federal Laws they like; but
      there's no reason a STATE ought to be doing it for them.

      Think about it: If you have a roach in your ashtray, are you afraid
      of a Federal Agent coming by, or are you afraid to report the fact
      that your TV was stolen because your Local Sheriff will snoop around
      your home while pretending to investigate? Are you afraid that a
      Federla Agent will stop your car for a broken taillight? Or would
      that be the LOCAL COP?
      Same for carrying a weapon. It's mostly the STATE that is violating
      your Second Amendment rights, not the Feds.
      Get rid of the threat from these guys, and the Feds are no bother.
    • Kelly Setzer
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2003
        [Moderator note: This is getting off of FSP business... let's try to keep it on track!]

        On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 08:05:20PM -0000, Zack Bass wrote:
        > --- In freestateproject@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Wilson"
        > <wilsonmc@m...> wrote:
        > > Please folks, don't forget about the feds. Look at what they're doing
        > > in States which have legalized medicinal Marijuana;, they are still
        > > closing clinics and enforcing the Federal laws.
        > >

        > That's not a problem. No one is suggesting that we get rid of Federal
        > Drugs Laws, any more than we will get rid of Federal Gun Laws. what
        > we CAN AND WILL do, though, is get rid of STATE Prohibition. And
        > there is nothing the Feds can do about tHAT. They are still welcome
        > to spend THEIR money to enforce whatever Federal Laws they like; but
        > there's no reason a STATE ought to be doing it for them.

        The Office of National Drug Control Policy involved itself in a recent
        Nevada ballot initiative:

        http://www.bostonphoenix.com/boston/news_features/other_stories/multipage/documents/02585209.htm

        Walters also made a point of interjecting himself into the Arizona,
        Nevada, and Ohio initiative contests personally, traveling to all
        three states for public appearances. His campaigning raised questions
        about the propriety of a federal official stumping against statewide
        ballot initiatives, which Walters dismissed with a combination of
        arguments: he was begged by anti-initiative forces to make an
        appearance, and he wasn?t spending ONDCP cash to do so.

        The minimum drinking age and highway speed limits are two other examples
        in which the federal government interposed itself in state-level policy
        making.

        Kelly
        --
        One measure of friendship consists not in the number of things friends
        can discuss, but in the number of things they need no longer mention.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 1, 2003
          <wilsonmc@m...> wrote:
          > Please folks, don't forget about the feds. Look at what they're
          doing in States which have legalized medicinal Marijuana;, they are
          still closing clinics and enforcing the Federal laws. So we can talk
          all we want about making this legal and that legal and until you can
          figure out a way to make the feds go away, nothing changes. Local
          taxes, local victimless crimes can all be voted on and changed,
          drivers license requirements etc can all be locally changed, once you
          start messing with what the feds say is their direct domain, I don't
          care if you have 20,000 like minded people, you will lose.

          > Baby steps, folks baby steps
          >
          > Michael

          In Montana, the feds can't come in within permission from the
          Sheriff! We'll need to elect a good Sheriff to begin with, who will
          not enforce victimless 'laws'.

          Note the (') marks. Many of these 'laws' are not Laws. They are
          Statutes or Regulations. Violation of them is NOT a 'Crime'.
          A 'Crime' needs a Victim to swear out a Complaint.

          Motie