Re: [freehelpexcelsiorstudents] Charge nurses

  • rude sugar
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
      No communication is the worse.

      Michelle <michellhall_31@...> wrote: Okay guys I was just offered a Full Time charge nurse position at my
      hospital.I am all new to this charging thing as a RN. I charged as LPN
      at the nursing home but I am starting to second quess myself. I have
      charged 3 times so far but I have a questions for all of you.

      What sort of things that your charge nurse does that TICKS you off the
      most?? I am really trying to be good at this. I beleive it will be
      good down the road when i get to teach after I finish my BSN and
      Masters.

    • Lisa Sarao
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
        The one thing that one of our charges does that drives the RNs batty is micromanaging ... they feel like it demonstrates no confidence in their skills as nurses, implying that they can't get their stuff done unless they're over-supervised. So it's better to manage from "way back here" than "right up close," if you know what I mean.

        Congratulations to you!!

        Lisa S.

        >Okay guys I was just offered a Full Time charge nurse position at my
        >hospital.I am all new to this charging thing as a RN. I charged as LPN
        >at the nursing home but I am starting to second quess myself. I have
        >charged 3 times so far but I have a questions for all of you.
        >
        >What sort of things that your charge nurse does that TICKS you off the
        >most?? I am really trying to be good at this. I beleive it will be
        >good down the road when i get to teach after I finish my BSN and
        >Masters.

        Lisa Sarao, NREMT-P
        www.thepixie.com
      • Kelly Hoffman
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
          The one thing that my old charge nurse used to do:
          She would sit at the desk and do nothing, then when it was time to get report, she would call us up over the intercom, for us to come to her, no matter how busy we were.

          Lisa Sarao <pixie@...> wrote:
          The one thing that one of our charges does that drives the RNs batty is micromanaging ... they feel like it demonstrates no confidence in their skills as nurses, implying that they can't get their stuff done unless they're over-supervised. So it's better to manage from "way back here" than "right up close," if you know what I mean.

          Congratulations to you!!

          Lisa S.

          >Okay guys I was just offered a Full Time charge nurse position at my
          >hospital.I am all new to this charging thing as a RN. I charged as LPN
          >at the nursing home but I am starting to second quess myself. I have
          >charged 3 times so far but I have a questions for all of you.
          >
          >What sort of things that your charge nurse does that TICKS you off the
          >most?? I am really trying to be good at this. I beleive it will be
          >good down the road when i get to teach after I finish my BSN and
          >Masters.

          Lisa Sarao, NREMT-P
          www.thepixie.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 1, 2007
            ---- Lisa Sarao <pixie@...> wrote:
            > The one thing that one of our charges does that drives the RNs batty is micromanaging ... they feel like it demonstrates no confidence in their skills as nurses, implying that they can't get their stuff done unless they're over-supervised. So it's better to manage from "way back here" than "right up close," if you know what I mean.
            >
            > Congratulations to you!!
            >
            > Lisa S.

          • Judy Grose

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
                I agree with Judy! a good charge nurse to me, is one that will get out on the floor and help out. Do some assessments and admissions if there is staff shortage or the acuity is high. Be a resource, be helpful and just be the team captain. You have worked hard for this and you will do well. Remember you will have to earn the respect from the other staff. So go out there and be proud of what you have accomplished!
                Shawna

                Judy Grose <generalfan07@...> wrote: Wow already doing Charge that is alot of responsibility how much orientation to this position will they give you? One of my charge nurses takes a Q1hr smoke break the other one sits with his feet propped up most of the shift. Acute care is way different than the nursing home be careful sister... JudyG.

                Michelle <michellhall_31@...> wrote: Okay guys I was just offered a Full Time charge nurse position at my
                hospital.I am all new to this charging thing as a RN. I charged as LPN
                at the nursing home but I am starting to second quess myself. I have
                charged 3 times so far but I have a questions for all of you.

                What sort of things that your charge nurse does that TICKS you off the
                most?? I am really trying to be good at this. I beleive it will be
                good down the road when i get to teach after I finish my BSN and
                Masters.

              • Michelle
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
                  Wow sounds like your charge nurses are completely lazy. Because I am
                  running all night long I have to eat lunch on the run. We have a lot
                  of new grads that I am constantly helping. Which that is my
                  favorite part to watch them really develop into the wonderful nurses
                  I know they can be. I think this will be good training down the road
                  when I am to old and can't be at the bedside, then I would like to
                  teach nursing, probably at the LPN level because I had such
                  wonderful teachers there.

                  --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, Judy Grose
                  <generalfan07@...> wrote:

                  > Wow already doing Charge that is alot of responsibility how much
                  orientation to this position will they give you? One of my charge
                  nurses takes a Q1hr smoke break the other one sits with his feet
                  propped up most of the shift. Acute care is way different than the
                  nursing home be careful sister... JudyG.

                  > Michelle <michellhall_31@...> wrote: Okay guys I was just
                  offered a Full Time charge nurse position at my
                  > hospital.I am all new to this charging thing as a RN. I charged as
                  LPN
                  > at the nursing home but I am starting to second quess myself. I
                  have
                  > charged 3 times so far but I have a questions for all of you.
                  >
                  > What sort of things that your charge nurse does that TICKS you off
                  the
                  > most?? I am really trying to be good at this. I beleive it will be
                  > good down the road when i get to teach after I finish my BSN and
                  > Masters.

                • Michelle
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 4, 2007
                    Thanks for the warning on acute care, I actually have been doing
                    acute care for 5 years now. I worked in ICU for 2 years before I
                    came to work at the hospital I am in now.
                    <generalfan07@...> wrote:

                    > Wow already doing Charge that is alot of responsibility how much
                    orientation to this position will they give you? One of my charge
                    nurses takes a Q1hr smoke break the other one sits with his feet
                    propped up most of the shift. Acute care is way different than the
                    nursing home be careful sister... JudyG.

                    > Michelle <michellhall_31@...> wrote: Okay guys I was just
                    offered a Full Time charge nurse position at my
                    > hospital.I am all new to this charging thing as a RN. I charged as
                    LPN
                    > at the nursing home but I am starting to second quess myself. I
                    have
                    > charged 3 times so far but I have a questions for all of you.
                    >
                    > What sort of things that your charge nurse does that TICKS you off
                    the
                    > most?? I am really trying to be good at this. I beleive it will be
                    > good down the road when i get to teach after I finish my BSN and
                    > Masters.

                  • Shelly
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007
                      I have seen alot of peole say what a good charge nurse will do. People say they should help the nurses work on the floor with stuff. I think everyone should first know what the responsiblity of the charge nurse is first before they decide what she should do.
                      I do have to admitt I have worked with some lazy charge nurses who were not worth a dime.
                      I have also worked with some lazy nurses who will try to work the charge nurse to death too so it goes both ways.
                      I used to think the unit secretary should do a better job but when the census dropped I worked as secretary to get 40 hours and I then realized that her job had alot of hidden duties and I had no right to feel the way I did. So until you sit in somes shoes dont be so quick to judge.
                      Shelly
                      310@... wrote:
                      ---- Lisa Sarao <pixie@...> wrote:
                      > The one thing that one of our charges does that drives the RNs batty is micromanaging ... they feel like it demonstrates no confidence in their skills as nurses, implying that they can't get their stuff done unless they're over-supervised. So it's better to manage from "way back here" than "right up close," if you know what I mean.
                      >
                      > Congratulations to you!!
                      >
                      > Lisa S.

                    • Rick
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 5, 2007