Re: [freehelpexcelsiorstudents] college algebra

  • Personal
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 26, 2012
      U can CLEP out with college math. I am studying now for it and it seems pretty simple. Sam

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:01 PM, "ashmhale" <ashmhale@...> wrote:

      > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

    • DanB
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 27, 2012
        I am also seeking options for college algebra. Planning to CLEP it but have a long way to go to be ready. I've paid for a month of ALEKS (aleks.com) which was helpful but have ended that. Have also spent a lot of time on the free site Khan Academy (khanacademy.org)which has extensive algebra training and testing...actually too much at times. Check it out.

        Just want to focus as much as possible on the CLEP areas and am beginning to think I may need to hire a college math student to tutor me.

        DanB
        Tampa, FL

        --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "ashmhale" <ashmhale@...> wrote:

        > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

      • Brenda Taylor
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 27, 2012
          Right now I am taking Algebra through the local community college. It is very hard. I don't advise anyone to take this class through a clepout program unless they are excellent at math. It is hard enough for me to take it this way. I am having to redo my work schedule to make it. Going from 40 hrs to 34-36 hrs a week. The math itself is not necc hard. There is so much info.......

          Brenda

          ________________________________
          What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

        • hopingtobern
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 27, 2012
            Hi, i also have algebra to give. i am watching free khan academy video. it makes things so easy but again, still have not given yet.will be finishing video in another 3 days then go through clep book and give exam before fcca starts. but it is free so u can try it.

            --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "ashmhale" <ashmhale@...> wrote:

            > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

          • anniescott114
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 29, 2012
              I am working on college algebra right now. Its amazing how much I have forgotten in 15 years. LOL! Aleks.com offers 3 hours of tutoring free. You log on, take an assessment and it breaks down all areas you are weak in and goes over each item one thing at a time. So far I love it. I think after the free hours you have the option to sign up with them for $20 per month. After I feel confident I plan to take the CLEP for college algebra since its only around $80. I think its probably the cheapest way to do it. I hope this helps you. Good Luck!

              --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "ashmhale" <ashmhale@...> wrote:

              > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

            • Jennie O'sullivan
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 8, 2012
                I agree with you. I tried taking college algebra through straighterline and on my own. Just isn't going to happen...lol

                So next semester I will enroll at the local community college. Out of all the classes I need for this program this is the one giving me the most trouble!

                Jennie

                ________________________________
                Right now I am taking Algebra through the local community college. It is very hard. I don't advise anyone to take this class through a clepout program unless they are excellent at math. It is hard enough for me to take it this way. I am having to redo my work schedule to make it. Going from 40 hrs to 34-36 hrs a week. The math itself is not necc hard. There is so much info.......

                Brenda

                ________________________________
                What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

              • Corinne
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 8, 2012
                  I'm doing mine thru aleks...costing me more than it should but I'm doing a&p and English comp at same time and I work 4 12 hour shifts a week....if I read right once I learn 77% of content they will give me my credits

                  Sent from my iPhone

                  On Oct 27, 2012, at 10:30 AM, Brenda Taylor <preciouscraigbrenda@...> wrote:

                  > Right now I am taking Algebra through the local community college. It is very hard. I don't advise anyone to take this class through a clepout program unless they are excellent at math. It is hard enough for me to take it this way. I am having to redo my work schedule to make it. Going from 40 hrs to 34-36 hrs a week. The math itself is not necc hard. There is so much info.......
                  >
                  > Brenda
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                • Lindsay Krakeel
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 8, 2012
                    Use Alexis. It's super cheap and super easy!

                    Lindsay Krakeel

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:01 PM, "ashmhale" <ashmhale@...> wrote:

                    > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

                  • Michelle Auxt
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 9, 2012
                      can u do this with Micro??

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 12, 2012
                        Yes I Did micro and A &P. Took some study time but did great. You must remember there are only 120 questions on the test from the whole book. It is just learning the right info . Your excelsior study guide helps with this.
                        It also helps to take the practice test to kind of know how to study how detailed to study
                        Brenda

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 12, 2012
                          College algebra is a real kicker. Trying to avoid the final . I am just praying I pass. I spend at least 4-5 hours a day studying n it is still hard for me.

                          Brenda

                          On Nov 8, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Jennie O'sullivan <jennieo39sullivan@...> wrote:

                          > I agree with you. I tried taking college algebra through straighterline and on my own. Just isn't going to happen...lol
                          >
                          > So next semester I will enroll at the local community college. Out of all the classes I need for this program this is the one giving me the most trouble!
                          >
                          > Jennie
                          >
                          > ________________________________

                        • Tonya Bloch
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 12, 2012
                            No clep for micro

                            Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphoneMichelle Auxt <michelleauxt@...> wrote:can u do this with Micro??

                            ________________________________
                            U can CLEP out with college math. I am studying now for it and it seems pretty simple. Sam

                            Sent from my iPhone

                            On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:01 PM, "ashmhale" <mailto:ashmhale%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                            > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

                          • idiopathicmagic
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 13, 2012
                              Greetings, I have not seen where College Algebra is required on the prereq's for the Associate-RN-degree, and with courses evaluated "they" did not mention I needed to take it. I have statistics-(3 hours). Maybe "they" are using the statistics course for the math requirement of (2 hours)?

                              Is it necessarily college algebra that must be taken, to complete the math requirement? I don't need anymore surprises there always seems to be enough, without missing the obvious...LOL.

                              --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, Tonya Bloch <tnbloch85@...> wrote:

                              > No clep for micro
                              >

                              > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphoneMichelle Auxt <michelleauxt@...> wrote:can u do this with Micro??
                              >

                              > ________________________________

                            • Michelle Linwood
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 14, 2012
                                Wats Alexis website for classes I need A&p do excelsior accept and how much is it

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                On Nov 8, 2012, at 1:14 PM, Lindsay Krakeel <lindsay_krakeel@...> wrote:

                                > Use Alexis. It's super cheap and super easy!
                                >
                                > Lindsay Krakeel
                                >
                                > Sent from my iPhone
                                >
                                > On Oct 26, 2012, at 2:01 PM, "ashmhale" <ashmhale@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > What is everyone doing for the college level math course? Has anyone done the Uexcel math course? I want to get this one over with but done know which test I should do!!!

                              • Kendetta Tutt-Johnson
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 21, 2012
                                  For myself they told me that if I took a 4 credit hour A&P with lab and 4 credit hour Micro with lab then it will satisfy the math requirement. My college algebra is being used towards my free elective, not the math requirement.

                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 21, 2012
                                    No, they also accept beginning Algebra too. I did mine thru Alexis and it was so cheap and pretty easy. It has been so many years since I took Algebra, I had forgotten a lot and didn't want it to be so hard.

                                    Lindsay Krakeel

                                    Sent from my iPhone

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 28, 2012
                                      Statistics counts as a college level algebra course. You have 2 choices. Statistics or algebra for your credit for ADN.

                                      On Nov 13, 2012, at 6:52 AM, "idiopathicmagic" <mailto:idiopathicmagic%40yahoo.com> wrote:

                                      > Greetings, I have not seen where College Algebra is required on the prereq's for the Associate-RN-degree, and with courses evaluated "they" did not mention I needed to take it. I have statistics-(3 hours). Maybe "they" are using the statistics course for the math requirement of (2 hours)?
                                      >
                                      > Is it necessarily college algebra that must be taken, to complete the math requirement? I don't need anymore surprises there always seems to be enough, without missing the obvious...LOL.
                                      >
                                      > --- In mailto:freehelpexcelsiorstudents%40yahoogroups.com, Tonya Bloch <tnbloch85@...> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > No clep for micro
                                      > >

                                      > > Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S™III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphoneMichelle Auxt <michelleauxt@...> wrote:can u do this with Micro??

                                    • Jay A Garnier
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 21, 2013

                                          Look into the CLEP and DANTES exams.  They are inexpensive, and widely accepted.

                                          You may want to consider them for much of the gen ed.

                                          For prep materials, look into Kahn Academy; it’s free.  Also, Learner.org has an old video series that is free.

                                          Excelsior has a $95 stats exam, you may want to also consider that.

                                      • LaCita