Re: NC 6 is in the bag and onto the CPNE!

  • cassandra
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 1, 2007
      *****john******
      just wanted to tell ya congradulations on passing nc 6. onto the cpne,
      must be an AWESOME feeling....i know i will be there someday.
      cassandra
    • nursingothers
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 2, 2007
        Congrats John! Great job.

        --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "John"
        <John.Hall@...> wrote:

        > Well I did it.
        >
        > I just finished NC6 today w/ an A. Not the hardest test, but way
        > harder then the practice exams for sure. I nearly jumped up onto
        my
        > chair in the testing center when it came back with an A. I have
        now
        > finished w/ 5 As and 2 Bs! I rec'vd Bs in NC2 and NC 5. I felt
        > those were the two most challenging exams.
        >
        > Several Qs on SLE, Mysthenia Gravis, and neuro trauma.
        > Many Qs on the application on the nursing process.
        > I saw some guidance from Excelsior suggesting that you did not need
        > to now pathology as much as application of nursing process. I can
        > not say I totally agree. Seemed like there was a fairly even mix.
        > Thus I do not think I did as well on pathology type questions.
        > Hardly any Qs on presentation of rashes. The only Q to appear like
        > that was where the lesions appear initially with chicken pox.
        >
        > By the time you get to this exam you should have a good idea what
        > expect. Test reviews posted in the files section had several
        direct
        > hit Qs.
        >
        > Good luck every one!
        > Now my target is the CPNE.
        >
        > Cheers
        >
        > John

      • DeLaunte Crawford
        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 3, 2007
          OK John I DID IT and I didn't have to get under the chair. Although
          I FLOATED ALL THE WAY TO THE CAR. JOHN HOW LONG AGO DID YOU TAKE
          NC5. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE STUDY MATERIAL.IT'S MY LAST NCEXAM AND
          THEN A&P. I REALLY NEED TO GIVE MYSELF TWO WEEKS ON EACH. LET ME
          KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP
          <John.Hall@...> wrote:

          > Well I did it.
          >
          > I just finished NC6 today w/ an A. Not the hardest test, but way
          > harder then the practice exams for sure. I nearly jumped up onto
          my
          > chair in the testing center when it came back with an A. I have
          now
          > finished w/ 5 As and 2 Bs! I rec'vd Bs in NC2 and NC 5. I felt
          > those were the two most challenging exams.
          >
          > Several Qs on SLE, Mysthenia Gravis, and neuro trauma.
          > Many Qs on the application on the nursing process.
          > I saw some guidance from Excelsior suggesting that you did not
          need
          > to now pathology as much as application of nursing process. I can
          > not say I totally agree. Seemed like there was a fairly even
          mix.
          > Thus I do not think I did as well on pathology type questions.
          > Hardly any Qs on presentation of rashes. The only Q to appear
          like
          > that was where the lesions appear initially with chicken pox.
          >
          > By the time you get to this exam you should have a good idea what
          > expect. Test reviews posted in the files section had several
          direct
          > hit Qs.
          >
          > Good luck every one!
          > Now my target is the CPNE.
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > John

        • John
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 4, 2007
            I can help you out. Congrats on getting past this one.

            I mind my last 3 exams with about 4 weeks between them.
            I will post more when I get to my office monday afternoon.

            Cheers & congrats,

            --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "DeLaunte Crawford"
            <delauntec@...> wrote:

            > OK John I DID IT and I didn't have to get under the chair. Although
            > I FLOATED ALL THE WAY TO THE CAR. JOHN HOW LONG AGO DID YOU TAKE
            > NC5. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE STUDY MATERIAL.IT'S MY LAST NCEXAM AND
            > THEN A&P. I REALLY NEED TO GIVE MYSELF TWO WEEKS ON EACH. LET ME
            > KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP
            > --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "John"
            > <John.Hall@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Well I did it.
            > >
            > > I just finished NC6 today w/ an A. Not the hardest test, but way
            > > harder then the practice exams for sure. I nearly jumped up onto
            > my
            > > chair in the testing center when it came back with an A. I have
            > now
            > > finished w/ 5 As and 2 Bs! I rec'vd Bs in NC2 and NC 5. I felt
            > > those were the two most challenging exams.
            > >
            > > Several Qs on SLE, Mysthenia Gravis, and neuro trauma.
            > > Many Qs on the application on the nursing process.
            > > I saw some guidance from Excelsior suggesting that you did not
            > need
            > > to now pathology as much as application of nursing process. I
            can
            > > not say I totally agree. Seemed like there was a fairly even
            > mix.
            > > Thus I do not think I did as well on pathology type questions.
            > > Hardly any Qs on presentation of rashes. The only Q to appear
            > like
            > > that was where the lesions appear initially with chicken pox.
            > >
            > > By the time you get to this exam you should have a good idea what
            > > expect. Test reviews posted in the files section had several
            > direct
            > > hit Qs.
            > >
            > > Good luck every one!
            > > Now my target is the CPNE.
            > >
            > > Cheers
            > >
            > > John

          • DeLaunte Crawford
            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 6, 2007
              Hey
              Did you forget about me :)

              <John.Hall@...> wrote:

              > I can help you out. Congrats on getting past this one.
              >
              > I mind my last 3 exams with about 4 weeks between them.
              > I will post more when I get to my office monday afternoon.
              >
              > Cheers & congrats,

              > --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "DeLaunte
              Crawford"
              > <delauntec@> wrote:
              > >
              > > OK John I DID IT and I didn't have to get under the chair.
              Although
              > > I FLOATED ALL THE WAY TO THE CAR. JOHN HOW LONG AGO DID YOU
              TAKE
              > > NC5. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE STUDY MATERIAL.IT'S MY LAST NCEXAM
              AND
              > > THEN A&P. I REALLY NEED TO GIVE MYSELF TWO WEEKS ON EACH. LET ME
              > > KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP
              > > --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "John"
              > > <John.Hall@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Well I did it.
              > > >
              > > > I just finished NC6 today w/ an A. Not the hardest test, but
              way
              > > > harder then the practice exams for sure. I nearly jumped up
              onto
              > > my
              > > > chair in the testing center when it came back with an A. I
              have
              > > now
              > > > finished w/ 5 As and 2 Bs! I rec'vd Bs in NC2 and NC 5. I
              felt
              > > > those were the two most challenging exams.
              > > >
              > > > Several Qs on SLE, Mysthenia Gravis, and neuro trauma.
              > > > Many Qs on the application on the nursing process.
              > > > I saw some guidance from Excelsior suggesting that you did not
              > > need
              > > > to now pathology as much as application of nursing process. I
              > can
              > > > not say I totally agree. Seemed like there was a fairly even
              > > mix.
              > > > Thus I do not think I did as well on pathology type
              questions.
              > > > Hardly any Qs on presentation of rashes. The only Q to appear
              > > like
              > > > that was where the lesions appear initially with chicken pox.
              > > >
              > > > By the time you get to this exam you should have a good idea
              what
              > > > expect. Test reviews posted in the files section had several
              > > direct
              > > > hit Qs.
              > > >
              > > > Good luck every one!
              > > > Now my target is the CPNE.
              > > >
              > > > Cheers
              > > >
              > > > John

            • John
              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 7, 2007
                Hey,

                No I didn't forget. The fact of the mater is I have not made it into
                my office. The GI "bug" came to visit the house of "Hall" so I have
                been trying to nurse the 3 boys and the wife back to the land of the
                living.

                I am back to work tomorrow, but in Medic refresher training. Yea...
                For once I get to sit an listen to other people lecture. Kind of sad
                when you look forward to those days.

                Here is what I remember off of the NC5.

                Not a huge emphasis on the different type/characterisitics of psych
                conditions. Some but not a lot. Many questions on theraputic
                interation and "what statement by the nurse would be most
                theraputic..." type of questions. There is a section in the psych
                nursing book where they specifically talk about theraputic
                modalties. Also, several questions on the mind set of the patient;
                ie all or nothing thinking, catastophizing, etc. Also, seemed like
                there were several ?? on anorexia, bulemia, etc.

                As a medic, you understand the acute problems of diabetes. Pay close
                attention to the long term implications of the disease and how it
                applies accross the life span. Impact on an adolesent or a geri,
                what about a patient visually impaired how do you work with that.

                I would also make sure you are familiar with the difference thyroid
                conditions and the S/Sx of each. Also, the post surgical management
                of each. Remember, a patient returning from thyroid surgery might
                need airway management so have suction & ET equipment available.
                Take a little bit of time to review each gland what it does and what
                happens when it goes high or low. Also, make sure you understand the
                terms for graves disease and addisons. Don't let yourself get
                confused between the syndromes. Lastly, make sure your understand
                SIADH (Syndrome of Inappropriate Antidiuetic Hormone)

                That is the bulk of what I can recall for NC5. Might not have been
                too much help.

                Good luck on the exam.

                Cheers

                JBH

                <delauntec@...> wrote:

                > Hey
                > Did you forget about me :)
                >
                > --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "John"
                > <John.Hall@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I can help you out. Congrats on getting past this one.
                > >
                > > I mind my last 3 exams with about 4 weeks between them.
                > > I will post more when I get to my office monday afternoon.
                > >
                > > Cheers & congrats,

                > > --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "DeLaunte
                > Crawford"
                > > <delauntec@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > OK John I DID IT and I didn't have to get under the chair.
                > Although
                > > > I FLOATED ALL THE WAY TO THE CAR. JOHN HOW LONG AGO DID YOU
                > TAKE
                > > > NC5. DO YOU STILL HAVE THE STUDY MATERIAL.IT'S MY LAST NCEXAM
                > AND
                > > > THEN A&P. I REALLY NEED TO GIVE MYSELF TWO WEEKS ON EACH. LET
                ME
                > > > KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP
                > > > --- In freehelpexcelsiorstudents@yahoogroups.com, "John"

                > way
                > onto
                > > > my
                > have
                > > > now
                > felt

                > > > need
                > > can
                > > > mix.
                > questions.
                > > > like

                > what
                > > > direct

              • DeLaunte Crawford
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 7, 2007
                  Thank you. That is very helpful. Hope your wife and the boys fel
                  better.