[Freedom Lawyers of America] And This Guy Can Pull The Trigger

  • sheldon waxman
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
      'There are known knowns, there are things we know we know'
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2003/12/01/urums.xml&sSheet=/portal/2003/12/01/ixportaltop.html/news/2003/12/01/urums.xml

      Donald Rumsfeld, the American secretary of defence, has won the annual
      "Foot in Mouth" award for bad English.

      Mr Rumsfeld narrowly beat Arnold Schwarzenegger, the actor turned
      politician, and Chris Patten, the European Commissioner, to win the prize
      from the Plain English Campaign.

      The award singles out what judges believe to be the most baffling statement
      made by a public figure in the past year.

      Fiona Bruce, the BBC newsreader, will also hand out prizes at a ceremony in
      London tomorrow for the best and worst communication in business.

      Mr Rumsfeld, who is not expected to attend the ceremony, won the prize for
      a statement in which he told reporters about "unknown unknowns".

      He said: "Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always
      interesting to me because, as we know, there are known knowns; there are
      things we know we know.

      "We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are
      some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns - the ones
      we don't know we don't know."

      Mr Schwarzenegger missed out on the top prize for comments in which he said
      gay marriage was "something that should be between a man and a woman".

      Mr Patten made a similarly nonsensical statement when he said the
      Conservative Party was "living to regret" having committed "political suicide".

      Sheldon (Shelly) Waxman, Writer/Lawyer
      "The Black Messiah Murders," Sam Cohen #1
      "Piranhas On the Loose," Sam Cohen #2
      "In the Teeth of the Wind,"
      "All Anybody Needs to Know About Independent Contracting"
      PURCHASE AT MY WEBSITE: http://thelawyer.info/ OR Call Iuniverse toll free 1-877-823-9235

      --
      Posted by sheldon waxman to Freedom Lawyers of America at 12/2/2003 08:45:37 AM

      Powered by Blogger Pro
    • sheldon waxman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003

      • JamesNPost@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
          I'd say Rummy is getting a bad rap on this one.  It may be a little over think-tanked, but his comment makes OK sense.  Known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns is if anything a too simplistic analysis, even if the average American high school grad finds the syntax over his head and can't understand a word of it.

          "He who knows and knows he knows, he who knows not, and knows he knows not, and he who knows not and knows not he knows not..."   we have heard before.
          James

        • Shelly Waxman
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2003
            How can you know an unknown??? And if you know, you know--you don't need you know you know.