Re: Reject Action For SPF

  • Mark Andrews
    Message 1 of 6 , May 3, 2012
      In message <a5bf45cb6468286ec3048a82a4e12243.squirrel@...-infotech.net
      >, "Prabhpal S. Mavi" writes:
      >
      > > Why would you want to reject mail from legitimite senders that do not
      > > have SPF records published?
      > >
      > > Glen
      >
      > Dear Glen. B
      >
      > Thanks for your response, We want to implement this no our backup MX
      > server. i trust this explains the reason. i know SPF is not spam
      > prevention mechanize. Can you tell me how to set reject action?

      Fix your backup server to have the data required to perform the
      filtering. Don't force the rest of the world to waste cycles and
      bandwidth attempting to send email to a backup MX that you have
      advertised. If you can't do it correctly, DO NOT DO IT.

      > Prabh S. Mavi

      Mark Andrews, ISC
      PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742 INTERNET: marka@...
    • Prabhpal S. Mavi
      Message 2 of 6 , May 4, 2012
        > Fix your backup server to have the data required to perform the
        > filtering. Don't force the rest of the world to waste cycles and
        > bandwidth attempting to send email to a backup MX that you have
        > advertised. If you can't do it correctly, DO NOT DO IT.

        Hello Mark. A

        Don't you think you guys are telling that what is SPF and how should we
        use it. SPF is in system for a while, almost everyone is aware what it is.
        And what it does.

        funny enough, no one answered to the actual question. all this info is
        available on the web. Anyways

        Prabh S. Mavi

      • Holger Kipp
        Message 3 of 6 , May 4, 2012
          Am 04.05.2012 um 09:45 schrieb Prabhpal S. Mavi:

          >> Fix your backup server to have the data required to perform the
          >> filtering. Don't force the rest of the world to waste cycles and
          >> bandwidth attempting to send email to a backup MX that you have
          >> advertised. If you can't do it correctly, DO NOT DO IT.
          >
          > Hello Mark. A
          >
          > Don't you think you guys are telling that what is SPF and how should we
          > use it. SPF is in system for a while, almost everyone is aware what it is.
          > And what it does.

          Good reading:
          http://david.woodhou.se/why-not-spf.html

          > funny enough, no one answered to the actual question. all this info is
          > available on the web. Anyways

          You might want to alter http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~kitterman/postfix-policyd-spf-perl/trunk/view/head:/postfix-policyd-spf-perl
          to return a proper reject-message if no spy-record was found.

          Best regards,
          Holger

          --
          Holger Kipp