Tipai Mukh Dam is a Monster to Many Indian Indigenous & Bangladeshi Population

  • union_faruque
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2009

      Do You Know the Tipai Mukh Dam is a Monster to Many Indian Indigenous and Bangladeshi Population?

      Resource hungry Indian entrepreneurs would do anything for a mighty dollar. The compliant politicians would do the same. Then what will be the future of nature, the environment, indigenous population, indigenous flora and fauna? Because these groups can't afford lobby groups and are lacking in having a fat cheque book!

      This dangerous project will have severe impact on nature, the environment, the indigenous population, indigenous flora and fauna, including the people of the region and beyond. The adverse impact on fish stocks, food production, water ways transportation, clogging the arteries, rise of arsenic levels, and many basic things of life that we got for granted.

      The Farakkah Dem, India and the Farakka Dam, REPORT ON THE IMPACT OF FARAKKA    BARRAGE ON THE HUMAN FABRIC, Farakka Dam Action Committee - International Farakka Committee    and The impact of Farakka Barrage on Bangladesh's Agriculture The impact of Farakka Barrage on Bangladesh's Agriculture (a very poor and only one! Face book) are blatant examples Monster Farakkah and it's impact on nature, environment and mankind.

      Similarly, the impact of Tipai Mukh Dam will be worse than Farakkah.

      From: David Oldfield doldfield@...  Subject: RE: Tipai Mukh Dam - A Curse or Cup of Poisoned Chalice
      To: "Faruque Ahmed"
      union_faruque@... Received: Monday, 3 August, 2009, 6:51 PM

      Thanks Faruque.

      David.

      Dear Shahbaz bhi

      I have not heard from you for some time. If you have not forgotten, we met at the Politics in the Pub in Sydney. During our conversation you mentioned certain arrangements between India and Pakistan in relation to water distribution.

      At this time I would like to enhance my knowledge about the Tipei Mukh Dem project. For your information I am appending the information below.

      I am waiting for your response.

      Faruque

      Tipai Mukh Dam – A Cursed and a Poisoned Chalice

      Link # 2

      Resource hungry Indian entrepreneurs would do anything for a mighty dollar. The compliant politicians would do the same. Then what will be the future of nature, the environment, indigenous population, indigenous flora and fauna? Because these groups can't afford lobby groups and are lacking in having a fat cheque book!

      This dangerous project will have severe impact on nature, the environment, the indigenous population, indigenous flora and fauna, including the people of the region and beyond.

      Please spread the word and raise awareness of this important issue.

      Faruque Ahmed

      Mobile: 041 091 4118, Email: union_faruque@...

      Dear Dr. Peter

      CEO

      ACAIR

      Re: Proposed Tipai Mukh Dam by India - Violation of   UN Convention on the Law of the Non navigational Uses of International Watercourses-1997

      Honorable Dr. Peter:

      Good day from Sydney , Australia. We, the downstream people of international river Barak, are writing this letter to draw your attention to the gross violation of UN Convention and recommendations of World Commission on Dams (WCD) by Indian Government.  We are afraid that if Tipaimukh Dam is built by India on International Water courses at downstream of the confluence of Barak and Tuivai rivers near Tipaimukh village and it remains unabated, it would pose a great threat to the nature, environment and peoples of Bangladesh and turn Bangladesh into a desert. We also afraid if this injustice and Water crime continue, you might see the rise of political unrest and extremism in Bangladesh as we know all that injustice begets extremism.

      The unilateral construction of Tipaimukh dam by India on this international river Barak is a violation of the article 9 of Bangladesh-India Ganges Water Sharing Treaty, 1996. The Tipaimukh Dam project was entirely developed and approved without informing the government of Bangladesh or involving its people in any meaningful exercise to assess the downstream impacts of the dam. Bangladesh was not invited to participate, fully and actively in the decision-making process as a key stakeholder. This is clearly a gross violation of co-riparian rights of Bangladesh.

      Dear High Commissioner, Rivers, watersheds and aquatic ecosystems are the biological engines and blood vessels of the planet. They are the basis for life and the livelihoods of local communities. Dams transform landscapes and create risks of irreversible impacts.

      It is a water crime and one kind of state sponsored environmental terrorism against one hundred and forty million people of Bangladesh that is set to defeat justice, human rights and ecological systems of our motherland.

      Indeed, today we are living in a world which is very volatile and vulnerable. By ignoring the emerging unlawful activities on international rivers, the international community can not escape from their obligation and duties to wards humanity, nature.

      For your action against these inhumane activities we have enclosed relevant reports.

      We must not betray our conscience!

      Sincerely,

      Ertaz Chowdhury, MIEAust, CPEng, NPER

      Representative of Save Bangladesh, Sydney , Australia

      Sources: Do you care for nature and environment?, Who would like to destroy nature for greed?, Free America Now, Free Australia Now,