Oh, My Aching Back!

  • Sean Cochran
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3 1:48 AM
      Please consider this free-reprint article written by:
      Sean Cochran

      IMPORTANT - Publication/Reprint Terms

      - You have permission to publish this article electronically in
      free-only publications such as a website or an ezine as long as
      the bylines are included.

      - You are not allowed to use this article for commercial
      purposes. The article should only be reprinted in a publicly
      accessible website and not in a members-only commercial site.

      - You are not allowed to post/reprint this article in any
      sites/publications that contains or supports hate, violence,
      porn and warez or any indecent and illegal sites/publications.

      - You are not allowed to use this article in UCE (Unsolicited
      Commercial Email) or SPAM. This article MUST be distributed in
      an opt-in email list only.

      - If you distribute this article in an ezine or newsletter, we
      ask that you send a copy of the newsletter or ezine that
      contains the article to support@...

      - If you post this article in a website/forum/blog, ALL links
      MUST be set to hyperlinks and we ask that you send a copy of
      the URL where the article is posted to support@...

      - We request that you ask permission from the author if you
      want to publish this article in print.

      The role of iSnare.com is only to distribute this article as
      part of its Article Distribution feature (
      http://www.isnare.com/distribution.php ). iSnare.com does NOT
      own this article, please respect the author's copyright and
      this publication/reprint terms. If you do not agree to any of
      these terms, please do not reprint or publish this article.

      Article Title: Oh, My Aching Back!
      Author: Sean Cochran
      Word Count: 1019
      Article URL: http://www.isnare.com/?id=13421&ca=Sports
      Format: 64cpl
      Author's Email Address: support@...

      Easy Publish Tool: http://www.isnare.com/html.php?id=13421

      ================== ARTICLE START ==================
      Are you an individual who is suffering from a lower back

      Is your lower back stiff and sore when you get out of bed in
      the morning? Or, heaven forbid, are you one of many individuals
      that has undergone back surgery?

      Probably everyone reading this article has experienced a lower
      back problem at some time or another in their lives. They are
      no fun, can be very debilitating, and when it comes to golf,
      they certainly won�t help lower your handicap or drive the ball
      300 yards.

      I would like to share with you an e-mail question that I
      received from my website www.bioforcegolf.com. Our BioForce
      Golf family member stated: �I am a �mature� individual and
      suffering from lower back disc problems. They are not to the
      point that requires surgery, but they do limit my ability to
      play golf.� His e-mail continued to describe his lower back
      issues and ended with a question: �Would someone like me
      benefit from your lower back exercises, or would they
      exacerbate the problem?�

      Before answering this gentleman�s question, let me give you a
      little background information. BioForce Golf has a golf fitness
      manual available titled Your Body & Your Swing. In this manual,
      there are many exercises to assist in improving your golf game.

      Two stated goals exist for the exercises in this program;
      number one is injury prevention, and number two is performance
      improvement. Fairly self-explanatory in terms of their stated
      goals. Realize even the slightest injury will hurt your golf
      performance significantly.

      I replied to this e-mail with a resounding �yes.�

      The exercises in our program will help you with this type of
      low back disc problem.

      Let me explain how exercises for the lower back can assist you.

      The lower back is comprised of countless muscles, skeletal
      structures, and fibrous structures. The fibrous structures are
      in the form of discs and other types of cartilage. Injuries to
      the body have what I call a �three tier effect.� If the body is
      overstressed by any activity like swinging a golf club, lifting
      heavy boxes, or even typing on a computer, the overload on the
      body (amount of work performed by the body) will affect the
      muscular system first. This can be in the form of muscle
      soreness, tightness, or a slight pull. If I lift too many heavy
      boxes or swing a club too many times, my muscles are the �first
      line of defense� to injury.

      If I continue to perform this high workload level and ignore
      what my muscles are telling me, my second line of defense kicks

      The �second line of defense� is my cartilage and ligament
      structures (i.e. discs in the lower back).

      How do you know if you are suffering from a second tier

      Indicators are inflammation, tears, or bulging of a lower back
      disc. Usually this is when folks go to a doctor. If you are
      reading this and this paragraph hits a chord, I strongly
      suggest seeking counsel of a physician.

      Finally, if the workloads still continue at a high level,
      without any intervention, the skeletal structure will be
      affected. This can be in the formation of bone spurs or stress

      An example of such a situation is the formation of bone spurs
      commonly found in a pitcher�s elbow or the degeneration of
      lower back structures in a golfer.

      To stop this injury cycle, or help in the rehabilitation of a
      current problem, I strongly suggested you first seek
      professional medical attention. This will assist in the
      diagnosis and proper treatment of the injury.

      Exercises can help rehab a golfer in such situations if
      implemented correctly and under supervision of a qualified

      The best way to prevent an injury is to Prehab. Prehab
      exercises, as they are often called, develop high levels of
      muscular strength and endurance to �handle� the workloads
      placed upon the body. This can assist in preventing an injury
      that begins the cycle described above.

      Now, if you are a golfer that is already �walking down the
      path� of a debilitating injury, our goal is to help you reverse
      the cycle.

      Again, seek professional medical attention and be under
      supervision throughout the process if you have suffered a
      problem. If you are starting a new golf fitness program to help
      with your prehab, seek professional guidance to help minimize
      the risk of injury.

      The cycle can be reversed by unloading the skeletal and
      ligament structures and placing the loads upon the muscular
      structure. Let me explain using the example from above.

      For example, if a person is in a situation where his muscular
      structures are �overloaded� and his discs are taking the brunt
      of the work, every time he swings a club, bends over to line up
      his putt, or picks up his ball, the discs are screaming �ouch!�
      My goal, if I were his trainer, would be to start a series of
      exercises that would strengthen the muscles of the lower back,
      resulting in the stresses being taken away from the discs. Once
      the muscles are strong and have high levels of endurance, they
      can handle the �workloads� placed upon the body during golf or
      any activity!

      Over time, the exercises would alleviate the stress on the
      discs, get this individual out of �pain,� and restore them to a
      higher level of activity.

      In a nutshell, to prevent injury you must develop the muscular
      strength and endurance to handle the workloads placed upon your
      body everyday. If you are an avid golfer then I would strongly
      suggest starting a golf-specific fitness program. This will
      help you to prevent an injury resulting from the stresses
      placed upon your body during repetitive golf swings.

      Secondarily, a golf-specific fitness program will help you
      dramatically improve your performance on the course.

      Sean Cochran

      About The Author: Sean Cochran is one of the most recognized
      golf fitness instructors in the world today. He travels the PGA
      Tour regularly with 2005 PGA & 2004 Masters Champion Phil
      Mickelson. He has made many of his golf tips, golf instruction
      and golf swing improvement techniques available to amateur
      golfers on the website http://www.bioforcegolf.com To contact
      Sean, you can email him at support@....

      For more free-reprint articles by Sean Cochran please visit: