The Ultimate Solar Power System

  • shawn.mccaslin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2006
      Looking for a real potential solution to global warming and energy
      production?

      Check this out:

      The principle of operation is simple, and imitates Mother Nature...
      the Sun heats the Earth, warming the air and water. Warm air tends
      to rise up and potentially release some of the water and heat it
      carries.
      A chimney concentrates and accelerates these actions, and forms a
      strong draft in the process. Wind turbines draw energy from the
      draft and generate electric power. Water condenses from the
      rising air and is collected inside the chimney. Descending water
      also generates electric power. The generated electric power
      displaces consumption of fossil fuel, indirectly producing a
      long-term reduction of global temperature. Cloud streamers exit the
      chimney top at a selected altitude, and produce locally an immediate
      to mid-term cooling effect. Many chimneys together provide direct
      control over global temperature, and may effectively displace fossil
      and nuclear fuel use. No fuel is required, and no solar collector
      has
      to be built; waste heat is rapidly radiated into space.

      The basic idea was introduced by MIT's Prof Victor Starr
      in 1971. We recently (and independently) re-invented the idea, and
      made refinements which (we believe) make it practical.

      You can find Starr's original article and more information here:

      Chimney%20files/

      Shawn McCaslin
    • frodobag
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 8, 2006
        The main problem I see is constructing a chimney tall enough to reach
        the upper atmosphere. It would have to be a 'virtual chimney' since
        any physical chimney would be torn apart by the wind velocites at such
        an altitude as well collapsing under as it's own weight and other factors.

        This would be an easy way to solve the chloro-fluorocarbon problem
        that allegedly causes holes in our ozone layer. There is an
        over-abundance of atmospheric ozone at the lower levels, too little at
        high altitude. Just move 'em on up and problem solved.
      • catboat15@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 9, 2006
          There have been several proposals to build a large chimney up the slopes of
          our local mountains that surround the Los Angeles basin. Most of the nature of
          digging a long tunnel up the mountain slopes. I have seen this presented as
          a means to eliminate the basin's smog problem by breaking up the "inversion
          layer" that traps the smog in the basin and also as a power generating system
          (Put a big fan in the tunnel and tie it to a generator) I know of no serious
          studies made of this scheme as the expense would be enormous compared to the
          benefit.
          (That big whooshing sound you hear is John and his car being sucked up the
          mountain and ejected to the stratosphere.)