Re: Ring Around The Equator

  • c_b_kauai
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
      I think others have suggested the true but expensive to start idea of
      having a circumferal train of weights orbit at compensating greater
      than orbital velocity low friction levitation within a stationary ring
      around the earth in stationary housing Earth orbit. With interior
      vacuum boost this can be in the near space upper atmosphere. The
      geostationary space elevator cables would then deliver their cargo to
      very high altitudes nevertheless much less than geosynchronous where
      orbital transfer vehicles that don't operate in the lower atmosphere
      work from levitation runways on the roof of the ring to transfer the
      cargo to different space destinations. The levitation runways would
      efficiently recover the energy from landing orbital transfer vehicles
      and apply it to orbital transfer vehicles taking off perhaps
      syncronized on parallel runways. Any stationary overall structure has
      to balance on the Earth's center. Polar rings connected to equtorial
      rings are possible. A balanced group of rings over the Earth's
      parallels or structure's parallels is possible.(With a corresponding
      involvement of mechanical tension and loss of natural stability in the
      coaxial parts)

      A;loha, Charlie
    • dstesla
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
[...]

        Thanks Charlie and Others.

        Now that makes total sense. Deep, yes, comprehensive, yes.
        Glad I asked the question, maybe I am not such a dummy after all?
        Don't answer that alright.

        Charlie is a likable guy, it seems that the man has good character,
        the man has class, very admirable and I suspect he is equally
        brilliant. A bit of a contrast from 3=1, if you will.

        What is 3=1? well, it's open to speculation, perhaps I have, "Cracked
        the secret.".

        Ring Around The Equator.
        I suppose one would be better off focusing on the ultimate alternative
        energy, then perhaps, he or she who succeeds, could focus on building
        the ultimate ring around the equator, perhaps with some assistance
        from the likes of Charlie and others who are equally civilized.

        DSTesla
      • c_b_kauai
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
          Thanks dstesla. Working on the nit in the proposed ring - the width on
          first order picks up compressive forces – brings to issue that
          perpendicular rings can support the width. If the centrifugal support
          mass has to shift in speed than superconducting particles can be used.
          A new nit is that incoming lunar material will add energy to this space
          grid at the landing runways. The energy should be used, one use is
          launch catapults.

          Aloha, Charlie
        • rlm555339
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 1, 2005
            dstesla wrote:

            > Ring Around The Equator.
            > I suppose one would be better off focusing on the ultimate alternative
            > energy, then perhaps, he or she who succeeds, could focus on building
            > the ultimate ring around the equator, perhaps with some assistance
            > from the likes of Charlie and others who are equally civilized.
            >
            > DSTesla

            Los Alamos has been talking about graphite nanotubes for over a year now
            for the purpose of building a "space elevator."