Yellowstone and the railroads

  • sunsetexpress
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      Allow me to digress from Fred Harvey operations and mention a few
      words about the related general theme of railroad hostelry.
      Yellowstone was perhaps the epitome of railroad tourism development.
      Five different railroads had gateways to the park with their
      attendant rail facilities and hotels.
      An excellent chronicle of that story is this book:

      Yellowstone by Train
      A History Of Rail Travel To America's First National Park
      by Thornton Waite (Pictorial Histories Publishing, Inc.)

      The history of Yellowstone National Park and railroad travel to
      Yellowstone are closely connected because the railroad was the only
      practical means of reaching the park for many years.The railroads
      promoted the establishment and development of the park because they
      saw it as a potential business opportunity. This book covers all five
      entrances to the park and the railroads that serviced them.
      8-1/2x 11, 168 pgs., full color, hundreds of photos, maps,
      brochures, sb. $24.95 ISBN 1-57510-129-7