Harveycar garage - Winslow, AZ

  • Jim Lowman
    Message 1 of 17 , May 1, 2008
      I've uploaded a photo of the Harveycar garage, across
      the street from La Posada in Winslow, AZ.

      This one nearly got away. I took the photo as we were
      leaving for Santa Fe yesterday.

      The two nights at La Posada were great! I took a
      number of photos, inside and out. If there is
      interest, I'll upload selected ones into a new "La
      Posada" album in the photos section.

      Jim
    • Sandie Olson

        Message 3 of 17 , May 11, 2008

          I enjoyed the impressive Union Station in Pueblo, CO.

          I was able to get the same story from three separate --and I would assume credible-- sources that the eating establishment that existed in that Depot was not associated with Fred Harvey. They all specifically said it wasn't.

          1) I was given a history sheet in the Depot Office.
          2) I received a phone message while I was gone from someone at the Historical Society across the street (where I'd left a business card).
          3) Lastly, and most interesting, I ran across a large wooden plaque flanked by some old photographs on the second floor at the top of the main staircase. The plaque quoted someone who was the manager there for several decades who said they had purposely set out to copy a Fred Harvey Lunch Room, but there was never any connection. Hanging beside the wooden plaque were several B&W photos of the Lunch Room and/or waitresses in their uniforms.  Seeing those, it is easy to understand why people now or then may have thought it a Harvey House! (I took pictures of all that, but haven't dug through them that far back, yet.)

          This does not explain away the references to Fred Harvey in Pueblo in the late 1880s.

          > Pueblo is listed in the Appendixes of both "The Harvey House
          > Cookbook" and "Meals by Fred Harvey." The former says it closed
          > c. 1888, the latter gives the dates c. 1887 - c. 1889.

          The existing Depot has the date 1889 in stone above the main doorway.

          I need to call the Historical Society gentleman back about that.

          [There was no one at the Railway Museum when I was there.]

          --Michael