Fwd: Creating Historic Railroad District - Clovis Depot Model Train Museum

  • sfrr@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 10, 2011
      Eric,

      I hope you do not mind me forwarding this to the Fred Harvey list.

      Evan

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 10, 2011
        Evan,

        not at all. I would have posted on that site, originally, if I had thought about it, LOL!

        Eric

        Eric

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 12, 2011
          Here is an interesting piece that was in the museum in Cushing. Mr Read donated it to the good museum in Waynoka a few years back. Thought I'd share it with the group. I have some other pieces in my own collection, I'll post pics of in the future.

          Enjoy!

          Eric

          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/sooner/mrreadatwaynoka_3.jpg
        • Michael McMillan
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 14, 2011
            That's tremendous news that they're wanting to create that Historic Railroad District, but it doesn't even say they are going to do anything beyond "creating" the district. The only thing they mention actually working on is renovating the Hotel Clovis and the surrounding district, which is not the Railroad District to the south of there. It doesn't say the Harvey House will change ownership, or anything. The railroad office will be part of the district, though nothing will change there, I expect. But if the area is going to be revitalized, then something needs to be done with the Gran Quivira. Wonder what? Wish they had an email contact...

            --Michael

            "If the HRD becomes a reality, the Clovis Depot Model Train Museum, built in 1907, will be made available to the HRD. The other two buildings that will make up the HRD will be the Gran Quivira Harvey House hotel built in 1908 and the railroad’s general office building built in 1920.
            Burlington Northern-Santa Fe currently owns the office building and Harvey House.
            Management of the HRD would be by a committee within Clovis MainStreet, including the train society organization.
            With the renovation of Hotel Clovis and the surrounding district, the creation of a Historic Railroad District to its south will go a long way to fulfilling the goal of Clovis MainStreet to restore and rejuvenate our downtown district and make it an economically viable part of our community."

            http://www.cnjonline.com/opinion/creating-45970-lot-train.html