Re: [fred_harvey] Roof Tiles - Re: Seligman Harvey House

  • Michael McMillan
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
      > Wonder who is going to get those tiles???

      Hope they find a new home on some other depot or historic structure, not just someone's private residence.

      I wouldn't have minded having a reject, broken one.

      --Michael

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
        Hi Bob,

        Great pictures, thanks for the links.

        Don Gray is one of our members here, who has family connections to the Seligman Harvey House. If I remember correctly, I encouraged him to go to the BNSF and get permission to take the interior pictures for history's sake, prior to the demolition.

        I had also suggested that with someone who had access to El Garces, before all that gutting for the big remodeling project.

        Wish we could also see inside the Gran Quivira.

        I hate to see such history going to waste. And when it's gone, it's gone...

        --Michael

        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
          I wish someone could get inside and take similar photos in the Casteneda in Las Vegas, NM.

          Evan

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
              I suppose you mean upstairs? That would be great, and the Dining Room, too. I've taken pictures in the places I was allowed to see: Lobby and old Lunch Room area.

              I remember the realtor's page showed a couple small shots upstairs. Not sure where that link is. Hard to find...

              --Michael

              I wish someone could get inside and take similar photos in the Casteneda in Las Vegas, NM.

              Evan

              .

            • Michael McMillan
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2011
                Hi Eric,

                True, but the Havasu looked pretty bad inside, too. It's still good to see what remains and imagine it in better days. However bad it is, pictures would be better than no pictures.

                Take care,
                Michael

                  Too bad the furniture isn't still in it. The lady who owns the place lives in a coupe of rooms upstairs, when she is in town. I don't know if she uses some of the original furniture or not, but pretty much all of it is gone from what I understand. It would be neat to get up there and take shots to see what it looks like, tho.

                  Eric

                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 3, 2011
                      I was not allowed even out of the bar area back around 2004.  I asked if I could tour and the owner said, no, you would need to be accompanied and I am the only one here.

                      So what was your impression?  Had it been modified after it closed?

                      Evan

                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 3, 2011
                        I know the lobby area has been redone and has been used in a lot of commercials and movies. It was done around 10-15 years ago, I believe.

                        Eric

                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 3, 2011
                          I was able to get a few shots through the windows of the lobby.  From what I can tell it was a true restoration and not a remodeling.

                          As an architectural purist, I hate to see remodeling.  The "shell" is not all that is important.  Understanding the history of how people used interior spaces is as important to preservation as how the building looked from the outside.

                          Evan

                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 3, 2011
                            > I was able to get a few shots through the windows of the lobby.

                            Hi Evan,

                            That may be boarded up now. Every time I've been there, more windows were boarded up. The glass was smashed in the door leading to the bar, when I was there in January.

                            > From what I can tell it was a true restoration and not a remodeling.

                            Yes, the Lobby is very impressive-looking. Unfortunately, my camera battery was bad, so I could only get a poor shot or two in there. The last time I was there, she wouldn't let me in the Lobby.

                            > As an architectural purist, I hate to see remodeling.  The "shell" is not all that is important.

                            Exactly, which is why I didn't like what they were doing to El Garces -- they were even changing the shell!

                            > I was not allowed even out of the bar area back around 2004.

                            Could you recognize any of the Lunch Room? It's outside the bar, where the pool tables and stage/dance floor are. You have to go through part of that when you enter the place. Original paneling and light fixtures...

                            [Stage would be to the far right, bar through door to the far left.]

                            I'll try to post a couple pictures next week.

                            Have a good one,

                            Michael

                            Message 13 of 16 , Nov 3, 2011
                              Evan,

                              That is what I meant to say, restored. One of the times I was there around 10 or so years ago, the doors to the lobby were open, I did not go inside, as nobody was around, but I did get a good look. Unfortunately, when you consider the totality of the building, only a very small part of it has been restored.

                              One of the persons I talked to years ago, has a shop down on the square, opposite of the Plaza Hotel. He has known the lady who owns the place for many years and he has actually done some of the restoration/repair work around the outside of the building. He told me a few things about the structure and the complexities of trying to keep the place up.

                              Personally, I don't think the place is ever going to get the work done on it that it deserves. Every year that goes by without work being done sees that much more damage that needs to be repaired and at some point, it is going to be too late to save it. Water is the great destroyer and the are places around the roof and the outside where water is getting in. You can see these spots if you walk around the structure and it all adds up.

                              I hope I'm wrong,

                              Eric

                              Message 14 of 16 , Nov 4, 2011
                                Unfortunately, I agree with you Eric.  However; as my brother has said, "You never know what is going to happen."  This one will be as tragic in my opinion as the loss of the Alvarado.