When Molly Was a Harvey Girl

  • sunsetexpress
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 1 3:51 AM
      Here's a book review of a recently published work of historical fiction with a Harvey Girl theme:
      http://www.readingtoknow.com/2010/10/when-molly-was-harvey-girl-by-by.html

      I had not heard of it nor read it.

    • Michael McMillan
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 1 12:10 PM
        I saw that book at a bunch of Harvey-related places on our January trip. It was totally new to me, too. Didn't get it on the road, but made a note to try to get one later.

        On Amazon, her blub says, in part: "My new book, When Molly Was a Harvey Girl, is set in New Mexico where my very own great-grandmother was once a Harvey Girl - back when the West was wild, wonderful, and totally unpredictable."

        I've been known to read some romance fiction about Harvey Girls. I don't mind reading books on the subject for younger readers, either.

        I wish the book well. Young girls need better role models than what our toxic society is elevating today.

        Thanks for telling us about it.

        --Michael

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 10 9:14 AM
          I am about 1/4 of the way through Frances Wood's "When Molly Was A Harvey Girl," and am enjoying it. Molly and her sister just arrived in Raton. They got an eye-opening preview of what their job would be like stopping at several Harvey Houses enroute from their home in Illinois, like Topeka, Newton, and La Junta.

          In the back of the book, there is a photograph of Frances' great grandmother, Jennie in 1885, who was the inspiration for the fictional book. Jennie became a Harvey Girl in 1887. There is also a nice photograph of the staff of the Raton Harvey House taken in 1894. I'm assuming Jennie was not shown in the group photo, because she would have been married to a conductor named George by then? Frances mentions her great grandfather gave her great grand mother a pocket watch in 1889, I think it was.

          Frances, do you know how long was Jennie a Harvey Girl?

          Thanks,

          Michael

          --- In fred_harvey@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetexpress" <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

          > Here's a book review of a recently published work of historical fiction with a Harvey Girl theme:
          > http://www.readingtoknow.com/2010/10/when-molly-was-harvey-girl-by-by.html
          >
          > I had not heard of it nor read it.

        • Frances Wood
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 10 12:25 PM
            Michael, I don't know how long Jennie was a Harvey Girl, but I'm guessing no more than four years since she and George were married in June 1891. She is not in the group photo at the back of my book. But my grandmother was born in Raton, and lived there until she was five years old, so the family stayed a while.

            Frances

            www.francesmwood.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 11 7:26 AM
              Hello Frances,

              I think it's real exciting to have a relative who left familiar surroundings and went west like that in the early days to work for Fred Harvey. What an adventure!

              > she and George were married in June 1891. She is not in the group photo at the back of my book. But my grandmother was born in Raton, and lived there until she was five years old, so the family stayed a while.

              George must've continued with the railroad for awhile, perhaps. I guess it's likely Jennie knew some of the people in the photo, since they would have still been in town when it was taken.

              Stephen Fried's "Appetite For America" has dates of 1881 - 1903 for Raton.

              Interesting how some of those little Eating Houses evidently had some available lodging for the night.The Raton picture in your book has a "Depot Hotel" sign on the building. Some of them looked hardly big enough to house the staff upstairs!

              Have you been to Raton? I like seeing where these places were, imagining what it must've been like. It'd be more meaningful to have relatives who worked some at them.

              Regards,

              Michael

              Michael, I don't know how long Jennie was a Harvey Girl, but I'm guessing no more than four years since she and George were married in June 1891. She is not in the group photo at the back of my book. But my grandmother was born in Raton, and lived there until she was five years old, so the family stayed a while.

              Frances

              www.francesmwood.com

              I am about 1/4 of the way through Frances Wood's "When Molly Was A Harvey Girl," and am enjoying it. Molly and her sister just arrived in Raton. They got an eye-opening preview of what their job would be like stopping at several Harvey Houses enroute from their home in Illinois, like Topeka, Newton, and La Junta.

              In the back of the book, there is a photograph of Frances' great grandmother, Jennie in 1885, who was the inspiration for the fictional book. Jennie became a Harvey Girl in 1887. There is also a nice photograph of the staff of the Raton Harvey House taken in 1894. I'm assuming Jennie was not shown in the group photo, because she would have been married to a conductor named George by then? Frances mentions her great grandfather gave her great grand mother a pocket watch in 1889, I think it was.

              Frances, do you know how long was Jennie a Harvey Girl?

              Thanks,

              Michael

              --- In fred_harvey@yahoogroups.com, "sunsetexpress" <denmeg_hogan@...> wrote:

              > Here's a book review of a recently published work of historical fiction with a Harvey Girl theme:
              > http://www.readingtoknow.com/2010/10/when-molly-was-harvey-girl-by-by.html
              >
              > I had not heard of it nor read it.

              Need Mail bonding?
            • harvey_house
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 28 5:24 PM
                I finished "When Molly was a Harvey Girl" over the weekend, and enjoyed it very much.

                It had a good ending, but I would have liked it to go on longer. Several of the characters had situations that were changing at the end, so it would be nice to hear more about them in their new positions. One of the main characters left her job at the Harvey House and was going to write a book. I hope that is a sign that we might learn more about Molly and friends!

                --Michael
              • Frances Wood
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 1, 2011

                  So glad you liked MOLLY, Michael!