Re: [fred_harvey] Re: New Member

  • Anthesis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 30, 2010
      On 6/30/2010 8:49 PM, harvey_house wrote:

      Hello Anne,

      I'm glad you found us, too -- welcome to the group! What a great heritage you have, with a grandmother who was a Harvey Girl at one of the great Harvey Hotels

      The best of luck on your research. I hope you will share some of your findings with us, as you run across things. I sure haven't seen much on the Escalante. Good to know about the Ash Fork Museum. I suppose you saw the Escalante monument on the street near the site? It had a plaque with a little history. I think I have a readable photo of that, if you need it.
      Yes, the monument is a nice touch, and I also photographed the plaque.
      Do you have "The Harvey Girls" by Lesley Poling-Kempes? That'd be a *must* for anyone wanting to get a grasp of what it was like to be a Harvey Girl. Lots of good background and persoanl stories.
      I'll have to pick up a copy.  Thanks for the reference.
      Ash Fork doesn't get much coverage in the book, though it does quote one girl who worked there during WWII. Regarding your grandmother's era, on p.123 it says: "Double track was not laid on this section of the Santa Fe until 1920, at which time train traffic was exceptionally heavy. Each stop--Kingman, Seligman, Ash Fork, Williams, and Winslow--received at least two assigned meal trains a day." Wonder if she got her job due to this second track and increased traffic?
      Good speculation.
      Regards,

      Michael

    • dkrails@sbcglobal.net
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 14, 2011
        I would like to introduce my self I am Dave Kohler and I live in Fort Worth.
        This past weekend I attended the Lone Star Region of NMRA in Lubbock. One of the tours was the Harvey House in Slaton that has been restored to a B&B. I was able to meet a lady whose mother was a Harvey Girl. Ironically there were 48 people on the tour the same number that would have been served in the dinning room. There was a stool from a Harvey house that had the hat hook on it with a Fred Harvey hat. A good time was had by all
        Dave