Sandrock, M. T.

  • harvey_house
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009

      Greetings from Sandrock, M. T. I just arrived on the train last night with Hazel, Deborah and Alma who are beginning their adventures as Harvey Girls in the new Harvey House here in Mountain Territory.

      Wherever that is, it is the scene of the story "The Harvey Girls" written by Samuel Hopkins Adams and published in 1942. This was the inspiration for the 1946 MGM musical, "The Harvey Girls" with Judy Garland.

      Some of the characters' names are exactly the same in the movie as they were in the book, but Judy Garland's mail order bride character was changed from Hazel Biggs to Susan Bradley. Others were partly changed, as in the case of Deborah Rapalje being understandably changed to Deborah Andrews.

      After 30 pages, the girls are just trying on their uniforms and getting ready to start work.

      I have added a picture of this vintage paperback to the Books album, including a view of the back cover, showing a cartoon bird's eye view of Sandrock, including a plan of the Harvey House interior, which sported not only a Lunch Room and Dining Room, but also a Ladies Parlor. Nice map, but I doubt anyone could really get lost in downtown Sandrock, or miss where the Harvey House was.

      http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/20237783/or/1859316685/name/TheHarveyGirls-Adams.jpg

      My copy has the 1942 copyright date, but says it was "Reprinted by arrangement with Random House, Inc., New York, N. Y." No date for that is given, though it has to have been after 1946, since in the front, under the heading "What this story is about--" it mentions "--a story which has already delighted millions in the motion picture of the same name." That is the only reference to the film.

      --Michael

    • harvey_house
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009
        While browsing The Internet Movie Database for the film "The Harvey Girls," I discovered that the inspiration for the Sandrock Harvey House was the Castaneda in Las Vegas, NM. I don't recall it looking at all like the mission style Castaneda, so I'll have to go back and check that.

        I have put the movie "Red Dawn" in my "To Rent" list, since it apparently was actually filmed in Las Vegas and at the Castaneda.

        Thankfully, the Castaneda is not currently fenced off as the IMDb Trivia says. It was for sale though, last I heard.

        ~~~~~

        The setting of the story in "Sandrock" and the design of the Harvey House sets that stood on MGM's Back Lot #3 and on the sound stage for this film were inspired by the Castaneda Harvey House in Las Vegas, New Mexico, which still stands as a National and State Historic Landmark of New Mexico, along the old Santa Fe tracks and just to the north of that town's current Amtrak station. Amtrak's Southwest Chief still stops at the station, but the Castaneda is vacant and fenced off. Although the studio sets were constructed of wood, elements from the Castaneda's basic exterior architecture and of the interior dining room were applied to the set designs for this film. A few of the historic incidents that had occurred at the Castaneda were incorporated into the script. A large outcrop of rock such as that where Susan Bradley (Judy Garland) and Ned Trent (John Hodiak) meet can be seen from the Castaneda across a small prairie. The balcony upon which Garland, Cyd Charisse and Virginia O'Brien share a song is a replication of the Castaneda's street-side second-floor balcony. And yes, a saloon once existed directly across the street from the Castaneda in a building which is now abandoned. All of the sets from the The Harvey Girls (1946) were built in Culver City, California; most of them utilizing existing western street buildings on the back lot; using the Castaneda and Las Vegas, New Mexico, only as a blueprint for elements in the script and for set design. However, the Castaneda and much of Las Vegas, New Mexico, would later be used as an actual location in Red Dawn (1984).

        http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038589/trivia

        --Michael
      • harvey_house
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009
          I was just thinking what a shame it was, with all the variety of Harvey Houses still standing in 1945, and having the support of the Fred Harvey Company in making this, that they couldn't have filmed some scenes at a real Harvey House location, instead of using totally unimpressive, standard Western sets at Culver City.

          --Michael

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 11, 2009
            Having watched "The Harvey Girls" earlier this week, I noted that Ned Trent [John Hodiak] gave us a clue where Sandrock was in relation to reality, when he told Susan Bradley [Judy Garland] that he was moving 100 miles down the line to Flagstaff.

            Seligman, Ash Fork, Williams and Winslow are all 75 miles or less from Flagstaff, and Kingman and Gallup are 150 miles and more from it, so that random 100 mile figure doesn't point to anything concrete.

            By the way, for IMDb to claim that the Castaneda was the inspiration for the Sandrock Harvey House: "elements from the Castaneda's basic exterior architecture and of the interior dining room were applied to the set designs for this film" just doesn't seem to add up in reality. The movie's dining room is split level with Victorian gingerbread brackets and posts, which is nothing like this:
            http://harvey.library.arizona.edu/finding_aid/8nm/3/8-3-15.html

            "The balcony upon which Garland, Cyd Charisse and Virginia O'Brien share a song is a replication of the Castaneda's street-side second-floor balcony."

            As anyone can see form the Google Maps site, there is no balcony on the street side of the Castaneda! There are about five little fake balconies [railings] under some of the upper windows, hardly the inspiration for the location for a threesome song and dance number.

            --Michael