Re: Harvey Girl marquetry project

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 10 , May 21, 2007
      I've added a new picture in the Marquetry folder showing what my wood
      veneer Harvey Girl looks like now.

      --Michael
    • Michael McMillan
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 12, 2007
        Last night I finished cutting in all the pieces of my wood veneer
        Harvey Girl. (There is a new picture in the marquetry folder.) Right
        now, it is just a thin, fragile assemblage of veneers, so it needs
        gluing to a thicker board, edge veneers added, sanding and finishing.

        The illustration is one found on some of the menus from the 1950s.

        I have another one marquetry picture started of a Harvey House, but
        since it is more complicated, I decided to do the stylized Harvey Girl
        first, since I was able to get a picture of her from a menu.

        --Michael McMillan
      • Michael McMillan
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 25, 2007
          Since nothing else is going on, I decided to upload to the Marquetry
          folder the latest view of my Harvey Girl, now with decorative border
          added, waiting to be glued to the wood base. It is being held together
          with Post-it tape, so she's not quite looking her best right now.

          I've also included a sneak peek at the Las Vegas New Mexico "Castaneda"
          Hotel portrait I'm in the middle of now.

          --Michael McMillan
        • Sandie Olson

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 26, 2007
              > We have had many visitors from many places over the last several days,
              > thanks to the Santa Fe Railroad Historical and Modelling Society
              > annual meeting in Okla City. It's been great. On Thursday, the
              > convention had a day trip to Waynoka and Curtis Hill as an option.
              > Visitors were amazed at our history - Santa Fe Railroad, Fred Harvey,
              > and Transcontinental Air Transport - and our restored Harvey House.

              Hello Sandie,

              Great to hear you've had an influx of visitors due to the convention.

              What's new with the depot renovation since we were up there?

              --Michael
            • Sandie Olson
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 26, 2007
                Michael,

                The three arches are opened now on the outdoor viewing area of our county-seat style depot. We expect to be ready to move the restored railroad scale house to Waynoka Station within the next few weeks. We expect to open bids on July 19 for the replacement of windows and doors on the depot, and the paving of the parking area. If you know of any qualified general contractors who would be interested in the project, please ask them to contact me. A lot is happening at Waynoka Station, including the museum upgrade.

                Sandie

                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 27, 2007
                  > The three arches are opened now on the outdoor viewing area of our
                  > county-seat style depot. We expect to be ready to move the restored
                  > railroad scale house to Waynoka Station within the next few weeks.
                  > We expect to open bids on July 19 for the replacement of windows and
                  > doors on the depot, and the paving of the parking area. If you know
                  > of any qualified general contractors who would be interested in the
                  > project, please ask them to contact me. A lot is happening at Waynoka
                  > Station, including the museum upgrade.

                  Hello Sandie--

                  Busy place, it sounds like!

                  I wrote to someone involved in restoring a Harvey House down here in
                  Texas, to see if he had any recommendations. He should! The Harvey
                  House is fixed up very nicely. I remember being impressed with the
                  doors and windows, too. And they have a good parking lot put in.

                  --Michael
                • Michael McMillan
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 14 6:20 PM
                    My Harvey Girl picture is about completed. I'm still working on the
                    finish. Just put on a second coat today. But it bascially looks done,
                    so I put 2 new pictures I took today in the marquetry folder.

                    --Michael
                  • Donna L. Carlaw
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
                      Hello, Michael,
                      I just saw the photo of your Harvey Girl. It's beautiful.

                      Donna

                      --- In fred_harvey@yahoogroups.com, "Michael McMillan"
                      <harvey_house@...> wrote:

                      > My Harvey Girl picture is about completed. I'm still working on the
                      > finish. Just put on a second coat today. But it bascially looks done,
                      > so I put 2 new pictures I took today in the marquetry folder.
                      >
                      > --Michael

                    • Michael McMillan
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 24, 2007
                        Thank you, Donna. I need to get back to some of my other pictures I've
                        already begun.

                        Welcome to the group!

                        --Michael

                        --- In fred_harvey@yahoogroups.com, "Donna L. Carlaw" <dlkaijala@...>