Persuasion—a Powerful Tool

  • Alvin Day
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 8:00 AM
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Alvin Day
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * freE-zinecontent@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Persuasion�a Powerful Tool

      Article Description:
      ====================

      How do you get a 'YES' in response to your requests? Most of us
      make requests of others all day long. The ability to influence
      others, to persuade people to agree with your views, requests and
      propositions can be a powerful tool. Learn how to persuade others
      effectively by applying this proven method.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2008-04-04 11:00:00

      Written By: Alvin Day
      Copyright: 2008
      Contact Email: mailto:alvin.day39@...

      Alvin Day's Picture URL:
      http://alvinday4free.com/wp-content/uploads/alvindaypic.gif

      For more free-reprint articles by Alvin Day, please visit:
      http://www.alvinday.com/articles/index.php
      AND
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/alvin-day.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=5914&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/d/persuasion.shtml#get_code

      Persuasion�a Powerful Tool
      Copyright (c) 2008 Alvin Day
      alvinday4free.com
      http://alvinday4free.com/ebook5/

      Without the ability to persuade people to agree with your ideas
      and propositions, your attempts to influence others will be
      ineffective and your success will be unpredictable. In order to
      get the end result you desire from a given situation, seek to
      further your knowledge of the art of persuasion. Whether you want
      to influence others in business or personal matters, the power to
      persuade is the most important tool you can add to your arsenal.

      In my many years in the sales profession, I have observed human
      behavior, a subject that fascinates me greatly. I learned that a
      deep understanding of people�s motivations is the most powerful
      tool anyone can use to persuade others. My experiences so far
      have led me to record and document a process that has created
      repeatable and predictable success for people who desire to get
      YES.

      Take the following example: I recently helped a colleague create
      some promotional material for a community organization that she
      runs. In need of funds, she had decided to approach local store
      owners for donations, so she showed me the first draft of her
      pamphlet.

      She had created an impressive flyer that spoke about the
      organization, its purpose, its achievements, and its future
      plans. I could see that a great deal of work had gone into
      informing prospects of the organization�s background as well as
      other formal information. It was detailed and well organized, but
      it was completely ineffective in terms of persuasion power.

      My colleague wrote the document from her point of view. She
      focused on issues that were important to her and paid little
      attention to the fact that the business owners she planned to
      approach may not share her interest. In the dangerous fashion of
      those who do not consider their customer, she had created
      something that many of them would never even read all the way
      through.

      A mental shift was necessary in order to create a persuasive
      pamphlet that would inspire local business owners to answer her
      call to action. As one example, instead of beginning the pamphlet
      with a call for contribution, she would have been more effective
      by opening with a paragraph that included a benefit statement.

      Evaluate these two opening statements:

      1) �Contribute and Help Support the Arts in your Local
      Community.� 2) � Become Known in your Community as a Generous
      Supporter of the Arts.�

      The first statement is a plain request for contribution; the
      second clearly leads with a benefit to potential
      contributors...esteem, recognition and reputation. One is far
      more persuasive than the other.

      When you consider the first statement, it may seem obvious that
      contributing to a local community organization will have all of
      the great effects promised in the second statement. Naturally,
      everyone knows that when a business sponsors a community
      organization it will automatically be given a prestigious
      standing as a local contributor, a good reputation for �giving
      back,� and a favorable opinion in the minds of local patrons.
      However, leaving this information to be intuitively figured out
      by the prospect is a big mistake.

      What if your prospect does not figure it out? What if your
      prospect does not make the connection? Within your proposition,
      your prospect is looking for benefits; things he or she will get
      out of performing the action you are proposing.

      When your prospect makes a final decision, it will be based
      mostly on his or her perception of these benefits. The only way
      you can be certain that all the benefits you feel your
      proposition offers are taken into consideration is if you clearly
      explain these benefits instead of hoping that the prospect will
      simply understand them.

      Try this exercise to help you construct a more persuasive
      proposition.

      * Plan out what you will say as you present your product,
      service, idea, request etc. * Visualize yourself having a
      conversation with the prospect about your proposition. * Every
      time you make a point, picture your prospect asking the question,
      �Why would I want that?�

      Doing this exercise, you should come up with answers that
      directly reflect what the prospect will gain from agreeing to
      your proposition.

      Remember, in trying to persuade, your prospects are always
      wondering how your proposition will serve them. Approach your
      prospects by clearly communicating what is in it for them; this
      is more likely to heighten interest in your proposal and improve
      your chances of getting a �yes�.

      After 27 years leading Fortune 500 companies to earn millions of
      dollars, Alvin Day now simplifies the success principles to help
      people achieve and prosper in business and job. Get his free
      eBook, Ask and You Shall Receive -- visit this website:
      http://alvinday4free.com/ebook5/

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/d/persuasion.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Alvin Day can be reached at:
      alvin.day39@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:alvin.day39@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Alvin Day

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15 7:48 AM
[...]

        Distribution Date and Time: 2008-04-15 10:48:00