Paris Hilton And California Flower Growers Weather Cold Snap

  • Wesley Berry. AAF
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 7:36 AM
      Free-Reprint Article Written by: Wesley Berry, AAF
      See Terms of Reprint Below.

      *
      *
      * freE-zinecontent@yahoogroups.com
      *

      This article has been distributed by:
      http://Article-Distribution.com

      Helpful Link:

      Article Title:
      ==============

      Paris Hilton And California Flower Growers Weather Cold Snap

      Article Description:
      ====================

      The recent cold snap in California wasn't much more to pampered
      starlets like Paris Hilton than a reason to don designer coats
      and boots. But, for Californians who grow flowers or citrus
      fruits, the cold was nearly a disaster.

      Additional Article Information:
      ===============================

      Distribution Date and Time: 2008-04-04 10:36:00

      Written By: Wesley Berry, AAF
      Copyright: 2007-2008
      Contact Email: mailto:wes@...

      For more free-reprint articles by Wesley Berry, AAF, please visit:
      http://www.thePhantomWriters.com/recent/author/wesley-berry,-aaf.html

      If you use this article on your website or in your ezine,
      We Want To Know About It. Use the following URL to let
      us know where you have used this article, and we will
      include a link to your website on thePhantomWriters.com:

      http://thephantomwriters.com/notify.php?id=4351&p=load

      Versions Of Article Are Available at:
      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/b/california-flower-growers.shtml#get_code

      Paris Hilton And California Flower Growers Weather Cold Snap
      Copyright (c) 2007-2008 Wesley Berry, AAF
      Wesley Berry Flowers
      http://www.800wesleys.com/

      The recent cold snap in California wasn't much more to pampered
      starlets like Paris Hilton than a reason to don designer coats
      and boots. But, for Californians who grow flowers or citrus
      fruits, the cold was nearly a disaster. Although it seems that
      flower growers, who were gearing up for Valentine's Day sales,
      may have escaped the worst of it. However, Ann Quinn of the
      California State Floral Association says, "Most growers I have
      talked to say it will be weeks before they know the full
      effect."

      The bitter cold lasted for days and it was accompanied by
      damaging windstorms. The result was statewide damage to crops
      that, according to A.G. Kawamura, California's secretary of food
      and agriculture, was "even more widespread than a three-day
      freeze in December, 1998, which cost the state's growers about
      $700 million." Some citrus farmers in the Central Valley region
      lost whole fields. Avocados, strawberries, and lettuce were also
      harmed.

      Flower growers whose products are grown inside greenhouses faired
      okay, but many of them also grow outdoor crops as well. Ed Van
      Wingerden of Ever-Bloom in Carpinteria, California suffered
      losses to avocado crop, but his greenhouse-grown flowers went
      undamaged. Van Wingerden said, "The December 27 windstorm blew
      off seventy percent of my crop. There was small fruit [on the
      trees] and the wind blew it right off."

      Janet Kister of Sunlet Nursery in Fallbrook, California felt the
      effects of the storm, too. She grows both indoor and outdoor
      products, including jasmine topiaries that are popular for
      Valentine's Day. The topiaries, she says, "will not make it for
      Valentine's Day-we had to cancel orders [for the product]."

      In addition to the damaged crops, Californians paid heating bills
      that were significantly higher than usual. Shelby Ebel of Koch
      California in Nipomo, California said, "The heating bills are
      astronomical." Jim Rietkirk of Kallisto Greenhouses in Fontana,
      California agreed, saying that the combination of the damaged
      crops and increased heating bills "is not a pleasant
      combination."

      Oddly enough, the cold weather seems to have also sparked a run
      on flower orders. Van Wingerden said, "We are getting calls,
      offering ridiculous [high] prices, just to be able to buy
      flowers." Perhaps the frigid temperatures have turned
      Californians like Paris Hilton's thoughts to love?

      Wesley Berry is member of the American Academy of
      Floriculture (AAF) and President of Wesley Berry Flowers
      (http://www.wesleyberryflowers.com), a successful
      multi-million dollar floral business that was established
      in 1946. He also works with http://www.funeral-homes.net
      to provide useful information about funeral homes across
      the nation. He has been recognized by florists nationwide
      (http://www.flowers-nationwide.com) as a leader in the
      flower business. Visit Wesley Berry Flowers on the web
      at: http://www.800wesleys.com

      --- END ARTICLE ---

      http://thePhantomWriters.com/free_content/db/b/california-flower-growers.shtml#get_code

      TERMS OF REPRINT - Publication Rules
      (Last Updated: May 11, 2006)

      The Digital Millennium Copyright Act

      *** Digital Reprint Rights ***

      Hyperlinks (clickable links).

      within the article.

      *** Author Notification ***

      or her work. Wesley Berry, AAF can be reached at:
      wes@...

      for Print Permission at:
      mailto:wes@...

      ABOUT THIS ARTICLE SUBMISSION

      are owned and operated by Bill Platt of Stillwater, Oklahoma USA.

      and opinion of its author, Wesley Berry, AAF
      http://www.800wesleys.com/