Re: references

  • jrolker
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 1 6:46 AM
      > maybe Frank covering Black Rider is kind of his answer to Tom
      giving
      > props? Black Rider is probably my newest favorite Frank song..
      even
      > though i've only heard it live..

      Floop, there's an MP3 of Black Rider at
      home.arcor.de/eckholt/mamoeller
    • floop_fooglie
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 1 10:09 AM
        > Floop, there's an MP3 of Black Rider at
        > home.arcor.de/eckholt/mamoeller

        Thanks J. unfortunately i'm pretty low tech with my computer.. but
        i'll check that out on my girlfriend's computer..

        speaking of the new albums.. i'm kind of wondering about the
        orchestra thing too, which he was quoted as saying he wanted to
        include.. maybe he was refering to the NEXT album (after these two
        alubms).. or maybe he's still planning to tinker with these? and
        this pre-tour thing is just kind of experimental..

        most of the new material i've heard sounds very flushed out to me
        though..

        all i know is i hope he includes some of these previously unrecorded
        songs (that i've finally gotten to hear!) like 21 Reasons and Pan
        American Highway.. Pan Am Hwy makes me want to cry like the baby that
        i am.. :)

        i can't believe that i get to see Frank again this month.. life is
        too good.

        ps. got my pictures back of those first shows. unfortunately the
        disposable camera isn't the greatest (i lost my Canon AE-1 and
        wouldn't bring something that bulkey to a show anyway).. but some
        came out pretty good. i'll send those this way when i get a chance..

        floop
      • johndietzel
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4 11:10 PM
          " i've always been curious if there's a connection between
          > Tom Waits' BONE MACHINE and the SURFER ROSA song.. "

          I was just reading today on officialtomwaits.com an interview about
          that sort of stuff. He doesn't mention Pixies or anything, citing
          the album's halloweeny death theme, instead. Like his "bone machine"
          is us--our bodies. Of course, if he was subtlely nodding to THE MAN
          I doubt he'd ever say something like, "Um . . . It's cause I like
          Surfer Rosa." If anything, Waits' record has similar themes to
          Doolittle, so maybe it's kind of that too. Oh he did say they came
          up with the title "Bone Machine" and then worked on songs to go with
          it, so maybe he had the Pixies song stuck in his head or something.

          Incidentally, am I naive to ask what the Pixies' song is all about
          (could it be male anatomy?)? Like the machinery is inside our
          gonads, and every post-pubescent male knows it's pretty easy to get
          that machinery started up. So the "bone" is you-know-what and it's
          got a little machine . . . "tried to molest me in the parking lot."
          So maybe the song is an upbeat "Reel Around the Fountain" (the
          Smiths)?

          Perhaps Thomas has insight, considering his signature and all.

          Anyway, Bone Machine (the album) is so my favorite Tom Waits and
          definitely top seven of my all time faves. And anybody else excited
          about Mr. Waits' TWO new albums coming out next month? A cheap place
          to pre-order is HMV.com.
        • bocswu
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 7 9:24 AM

            > Perhaps Thomas has insight, considering his signature and all.

            Hard on

            Thomas
            "Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"
          • johndietzel
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8 12:07 AM
              --- In frankblackforpresident@y..., bocswu <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > > Perhaps Thomas has insight, considering his signature and all.
              > >

              > Hard on
              >
              > Thomas
              > "Our love is rice and beans and horses lard"

              Your succinct answer had me rolling. Thanks.