Fox Echo Echolink "Simple Mode" Interface Setup
- Here are step-by-step instructions to provide a simple interface
between the Fox Echo board and your PC for Echolink operation. This
arrangement uses the Fox Echo Board to provide audio and serial data
control interface between your PC and radio. DTMF tones are decoded
by Echolink. You will need to have Echolink configured in the "Sysop"
Mode as either a Link (-L) or Repeater )-R).
For PC to Radio Direction:
1. Connect TX Mic Input to TX (J3,Pin 5), and Gnd (J3, Pin 4).
2. Connect Cable between SC Spkr Jack (J5) and PC Soundcard Spkr Line
output (Green Jack on PC).
3. Place the "H2" jumper in the 1-2 position on the Fox Echo Board.
4. Connect RS-232 cable between PC Com Port and Fox Echo Board.
5. In Echolink, goto "Tools/Sysop Settings/Tx Ctrl/" and set "PTT
activation" to "RTS".
6. Under "tools/Sysop Settings/Tx Crtl/" Also select the proper Com Port.
7. To confirm operation, Connect to the Echolink "Test Server" and
verify red "ptt" led lites on the Fox Echo board, and transmitter keys.
8. NOTE: The "RTS" lead (J1, Pin7) should go "High" in Transmit Mode.
For Radio to PC Direction:
1. Connect Radio Speaker Audio Between RX In (J3,Pin 1) and Gnd
(J3,Pin 3) (Careful of level)
2. Connect Cable between SC Mic Jk (J4) and PC soundcard Mic Input
(Pink Jack on PC).
3. In Echolink, goto "Tools/Sysop Settings/Rx Ctrl/", and set the
"Carrier Detect" to "VOX".
4. Goto "Tools/Sysop Settings/DTMF and select "Internal" in the DTMF
5. Send DTMF tones from a HT or Mobile Radio, and Echolink should
display the "Digits" in a small gray box at the lower right-hand side
of the screen as they are received by Echolink.
Adjust Tx and RX Interface Levels in Echolink by going to:
"Tools/Adjust Volume/Playback & Recording"
Use the Echolink Test Server to verify proper program operation.
Please email me if you have any questions,
Frank - K7SFN