Status of support

  • sharshan60
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2006
      Greg-

      I am by no means rushing you at all, but I wondered if you had any
      chances to take a look at my code I sent to you on the 9th and could
      spot anything amiss. I still cannot get your code to work properly on
      my zenphoto application, and it's really weird. I have been
      communicating back and forth with kiddomono as well, since he has a
      working implementation, and it's doubly weird since both of us are on
      Dreamhost with very similar setups.

      Any ideas?

      Thanks!
      Sharshan
    • Greg Elin
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 24, 2006
        I'm sorry Sharshan. From my own experience I know how great it is to
        get fast support in an open source project and how frustrating when
        you don't hear. I recently started a new job, things are going really
        well, but Fotonotes support keeps getting put on the back burner.

        I definitely want to make Fotonotes integrate well with Zenphoto as
        it seems a good pairing. I tied the other links you sent, but the
        second one was 404. I'll try to look at the stuff you sent me the
        next couple of days.

        Greg

        On Jul 19, 2006, at 1:01 PM, sharshan60 wrote:

        > Greg-
        >
        > I am by no means rushing you at all, but I wondered if you had any
        > chances to take a look at my code I sent to you on the 9th and could
        > spot anything amiss. I still cannot get your code to work properly on
        > my zenphoto application, and it's really weird. I have been
        > communicating back and forth with kiddomono as well, since he has a
        > working implementation, and it's doubly weird since both of us are on
        > Dreamhost with very similar setups.
        >
        > Any ideas?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Sharshan

        > ~-->
        > Something is new at Yahoo! Groups. Check out the enhanced email
        > design.
        > http://us.click.yahoo.com/SISQkA/gOaOAA/yQLSAA/1U_rlB/TM

      • Greg Elin
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 24, 2006
          Does anyone know if any cameras or EXIF data includes a globally
          unique ID for an image?

          What do people on this list think of that idea? At first glance it
          does not seem as invasive as the unique serial numbers Intel once
          tried on their CPUs. After all...the unique id on the image doesn't
          tell you who took it, who owned the camera, or anything. Nor does it
          guarantee against uniqueness.

          What it does do is give a default reference to the image to which
          other data can more easily be attached and retrieved.

          Thoughts? Flames? It's been done? Gosh your brilliant Greg, please do
          it?

          Greg
        • sharshan60
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
            No worries at all Greg. I was just checking in. My project is just a
            personal exploration for myself, so it's not a project that has any
            timeframe. I'm just grateful that the developer is so involved in his
            project. I understand being busy (I have two kids), and I'm not
            frustrated at all. It's a challenge for me.

            I'll look at the 404 link, and see what might be the cause of that.
            Let me know if you see anything glaring in my website code that I sent.

            Thanks again for the help.
            Sharshan

            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
              To make it a bit easier on the diagnosis, I moved fnclient to my
              testing site, so you can check out these two links:

              http://www.thinkdreams.com/devzp/test.html
              http://www.thinkdreams.com/devzp/themes/testing_dev/test.html

              I know why the second one doesn't work (or at least why it reports
              "album does not exist"), as it's due to the way zenphoto is handling
              the links (it's looking for an album in the URL). It is however
              finding the js script OK, since the debugging is working.

              When you get a chance, take a look.

              Thanks!
              Craig.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
                Craig,

                I took a look: http://www.thinkdreams.com/devzp/test.html

                I think the problem is related to the pretty urls and the mod_rewrite
                statement.

                I'm going to have to create an install with mod_rewrite turned on and
                see what I can come up with as a fix.

                Can you turn off mod_rewrite in the zen photo config file and let's
                see what happens on your install?

                Greg

              • sharshan60
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
                  I turned off the mod_rewrite functionality. It's still not working,
                  but the js script is executing and debugging is on.

                  In case you wanted to check:
                  http://www.thinkdreams.com/devzp is the root URL of the zenphoto
                  implementation.

                  Craig.

                • Greg Elin
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 25, 2006
                    Cool. Progress.

                    Diagnostic:
                    ----------------
                    <http://www.thinkdreams.com/devzp/fnclient/fotonotes.php?image=/devzp/
                    albums/dog/
                    IMG_3355.JPG&action=display&width=595&height=446&alt=IMG_3355&style=>

                    We see a couple things:
                    1) Fotonotes is now finding the image
                    2) Fotonotes is trying to contact mysql and is failing

                    What to do:
                    ----------------
                    1) First you need to update fnclient.js and fix the fnServerPath
                    variable:

                    wrong: var fnServerPath = "../";
                    correct: var fnServerPath = "../fnclient/";

                    2) The mysql connection should not matter if it is producing an
                    error. The error is returned the fnclient.js, but fnclient.js parses
                    what comes back looking for specific information (and ignoring the
                    debug code and errors.)

                    So stop here and let's see what happens...

                    Greg

                    P.S.

                    I am adjusting fn_config.php and fotonotes.php to have a direct
                    switch for whether or not to use the database and that solves the
                    error message. I'll put that in the next release.