Re: [lb/2004] Selling CDs

  • Sirtaj Singh Kang
    Message 1 of 17 , Sep 11, 2004
      On Saturday 11 September 2004 14:30, Atul Chitnis wrote:
      [snip]
      > Don't you think that this is worth much more to the FOSS effort (that this
      > conference is about) than a few individuals making a little bit money, or
      > a few people being able to buy CDs at a few Rupees less than market price?
      >
      > Hey guys - this is an event for and by the community. It's a bit
      > disheartening to see it being treated like a vegetable market! :(

      C'mon, you know this is totally uncalled for. The situation last time was
      such -

      -> There was a lot of software being talked about that many people hadn't
      heard of before. Even though it was all free software, all people could
      do was make promises to meet up later for copies.

      -> Others, like the KDE 3.2 devel sources, were not available from any
      shop and realistically were only available via fast net connections. Yet
      their was a high demand for it that I was not close to being able to meet.
      (like the OBSD that Avi was handing out... I was lucky to be able
      to burn a copy of that, and there were a lot of people waiting to do
      the same)

      Fact is that it's all free software, and one of the things that allows is
      for people to be able to share what they have at meets like this. Since
      the logistics and taxman don't allow it to take place in an organized way,
      well, we'll muddle on. But there's no need to be disheartened about it,
      and certainly none to assume we're all looking for ch34p w4r3z!

      -Taj.
      Message 2 of 17 , Sep 11, 2004
        On Sat, 11 Sep 2004, Sirtaj Singh Kang wrote:

        > C'mon, you know this is totally uncalled for. The situation last time was
        > such -

        Actually, I wasn't addressing your post, but the ones from the CD vendors.
        I even changed the subject line to "Selling CDs" - to make that clear!

        > Fact is that it's all free software, and one of the things that allows is
        > for people to be able to share what they have at meets like this.

        This is actually a classic example of what kind of suggestions we are
        looking for to make the event work - it was just that the suggested
        solution was not acceptable.

        > Since the logistics and taxman don't allow it to take place in an
        > organized way, well, we'll muddle on.

        It doesn't mean that there is no solution.

        For example - if we have a list of stuff like the latest KDE/Gnome/XFCE
        etc. (stuff that doesnt find its way into the most recent distros) then
        we can work with sponsors to help us create CDs that we can include in the
        delegate kit.

        FYI - this is how *all* such issues are addressed at LB.

        While CDs and T-Shirts or food may seem like apples and oranges to you,
        they are very similar in nature to us from the perspective of event
        managers - something is needed, it needs to be funded, someone has to be
        found to fund it. :)

        So if something is needed to make the event better, then we need to know
        about it (your original note did that, and immediately went on our list as
        a todo item).

        The suggested solution, however, is *not* something we could do - but we
        *can* TRY and get CDs done as part of the delegate kit. (You did take note
        of the capitalised "TRY", right? ;)

        That would solve both your problem as well as ours - without bending the
        rules.

        How does that sound?

        > But there's no need to be disheartened about it, and certainly none to
        > assume we're all looking for ch34p w4r3z!

        Dude - I didn't mean you at all in my notes, else I'd have replied to your
        original note!

        I also didn't mean the guys who suggested giving a blank CD in exchange
        (which would have been acceptable, had it not been for the logistics
        issues that Mahendra addressed), or anyone who suggested making things
        available for free to delegates (this includes my fellow managers).

        We have totally no sweat with the issue you raised, and were already
        looking for a workable solution.

        Bottomline:

        - Yes, the suggestion of distributing hard-to-get-or-download software is
        a good one, and we are looking for a solution.

        If we find one, someone would have to coordinate with us on collecting
        stuff and mastering a CD.

        - Sales of any sort at the event only by vendors who have a sales tax
        number and have booked a commercial stall.

        Cool?

        Atul

        p.s. Liar! If we were selling MP3 CDs filled with industrial rock at the
        event, guess who'd be first in line to buy ch34p w4r3z? :)

        p.p.s. For the humour-challenged - the above is a joke.

        Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
        Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 2344-0397
      • Toufeeq Hussain
        Message 3 of 17 , Sep 11, 2004
          For example - if we have a list of stuff like the latest KDE/Gnome/XFCE
          etc. (stuff that doesnt find its way into the most recent distros) then
          we can work with sponsors to help us create CDs that we can include in the
          delegate kit.

          While CDs and T-Shirts or food may seem like apples and oranges to you,
          they are very similar in nature to us from the perspective of event
          managers - something is needed, it needs to be funded, someone has to be
          found to fund it. :)

          [Toufeeq Hussain]
          FYI, gnomebangalore.com does provide the latest builds of GNOME/OO.org and Mozilla on
          a CD.I dont know whose incharge of sponsors but Novell(gnomebangalore.com)
          would be an excellent candidate to approach.

          Regards,
          Toufeeq Hussain

        • Sirtaj Singh Kang
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 12, 2004
            On Saturday 11 September 2004 19:12, Atul Chitnis wrote:
            > p.s. Liar! If we were selling MP3 CDs filled with industrial rock at the
            > event, guess who'd be first in line to buy ch34p w4r3z? :)

            Me? never. I'd only accept fr33 w4r3z (gr4t1z?)

            -Taj.
          • Avik Sengupta
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 13, 2004
              On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 19:12, Atul Chitnis wrote:
              How does that sound?

              Not to flog a dead horse on CD's, but I am happy to index and master a
              (few?) CD(s) with "stuff" ... if a sponsor can be found to print them
              (we could do splash screens etc for sponsors). I have sufficient
              bandwidth for this..

              For a few thousand imprints, CD's (rather than CD-R's might turn out
              cheaper)

              Maybe once a schedule is finalised, you could ask speakers for
              suggestions, and we could try and include stuff on that basis.

              We obviously need to time/schedule this, but i am pretty sure I could do
              this in a day or two once we have a list of suggested software to
              include.

              Thoughts?

              Regards
              -
              Avik
              Message 6 of 17 , Sep 13, 2004
                On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Avik Sengupta wrote:

                > Not to flog a dead horse on CD's,

                The *selling* of CDs is a dead horse, not the *distribution*.

                > but I am happy to index and master a (few?) CD(s) with "stuff" ... if a
                > sponsor can be found to print them (we could do splash screens etc for
                > sponsors). I have sufficient bandwidth for this..

                Already onto the sponsor part. Can you coordinate with the Gnome and KDE
                and other folks about this, and try and create a mater by, say, end of
                this month?

                > For a few thousand imprints, CD's (rather than CD-R's might turn out
                > cheaper)

                Yep. There are several sources in Bangalore that will dupplicate a few
                thousand CDs for us in a day or two. It is the printing (non-data side) on
                the CDs that will take more time, but if timed correctly, all this should
                be feasible.

                > Maybe once a schedule is finalised, you could ask speakers for
                > suggestions, and we could try and include stuff on that basis.

                Yes. The stuff will include other information as well, and it is entirely
                possible that we are looking at more than one CD.

                > We obviously need to time/schedule this, but i am pretty sure I could do
                > this in a day or two once we have a list of suggested software to
                > include.

                Sounds good. Thanks!

                > Thoughts?

                A few:

                - I am not in favour of distributing Linux distributions - let the
                sponsors take care of that as part of their handouts. Linux distributions
                are too many (and you can't please everyone) and too big (4 CDs minimum)
                and besides easily available to people in just about any shop selling Cds
                these days. Sure, it may cost a couple of hundred bucks more, but that is
                not excuse enough to consider distro distribution as part of LB.

                - The Cds should contain stuff not found in normal distributions. For
                example, most distros tend to be behind on both KDE and Gnome versions.
                Even though Fedora Core 3 is scheduled for release in October, I know for
                a fact that the KDE and Gnome folks will have outdated it before you know
                it.

                More in a few mins - have a site to release....

                Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
                Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 2344-0397
              • Shyam Mani
                Message 7 of 17 , Sep 13, 2004
                  On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 11:27:28 +0530 (IST), Atul Chitnis
                  <achitnis@...> wrote:

                  > - I am not in favour of distributing Linux distributions - let the
                  > sponsors take care of that as part of their handouts. Linux distributions
                  > are too many (and you can't please everyone) and too big (4 CDs minimum)

                  How about the latest Knoppix & Gentoo Live CDs?

                  --
                  Shyam Mani
                  http://xinetd.accosted.net/

                  Meet Larry the Cow - http://www.gentoo.org
                • Avik Sengupta
                  Message 8 of 17 , Sep 14, 2004
                    >Can you coordinate with the Gnome and KDE
                    > and other folks about this, and try and create a mater by, say, end of
                    > this month?

                    Sure. So here's a plan:

                    I'll start creating a list and plan sizes over the next week. I'll mail
                    out to a few people for suggestions, but if you have a particular
                    package in mind, email me privately (so as not to flood this list).

                    Certainly KDE 3.3 (released last month) and Gnome2.8 (releasing any time
                    now!) are prime candidates. I am also particularly interested in
                    "IndLinux" stuff (new language packs not included by default, localised
                    builds, localisation howtos.. anything else). Other than that,
                    preference for cool but lesser known stuff. Later, once the schedule is
                    known, we can sync with the talks.

                    Middle of next week, I'll mail out a tentative list to this group, and
                    we can have a (hopefully brief) discussion about it, in time to burn a
                    copy by the end of the month.

                    It probably goes without saying, but needs to be said anyways: Only OSI
                    approved licenses, so no suggestions for shareware or trialware, pls.

                    >- I am not in favour of distributing Linux distributions -

                    If we can do a separate KNOPPIX Cd , then maybe, but otherwise I agree.
                    You cant satisfy everybody. If we do decide to do it anyways, I have my
                    own favourite distro (one you probably havent heard of) for inclusion
                    ;-)

                    Regards
                    -
                    Avik

                    On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 11:27, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                    > On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Avik Sengupta wrote:
                    >
                    > > Not to flog a dead horse on CD's,
                    >
                    > The *selling* of CDs is a dead horse, not the *distribution*.

                  • Sukrit
                    Message 9 of 17 , Sep 14, 2004
                      On Tue, 2004-09-14 at 16:14, Avik Sengupta wrote:
                      > >Can you coordinate with the Gnome and KDE
                      > > and other folks about this, and try and create a mater by, say, end of
                      > > this month?
                      >
                      > Sure. So here's a plan:
                      >
                      > I'll start creating a list and plan sizes over the next week. I'll mail
                      > out to a few people for suggestions, but if you have a particular
                      > package in mind, email me privately (so as not to flood this list).

                      If you need any help count me in. I'm at Pondicherry so the physical
                      limits are there. But if there's something that I can do I'll be more
                      than willing to do it, be it CD copying, downloading, testing...

                      Sukrit.D.

                      --

                      \|||/
                      (o o)
                      Message 10 of 17 , Sep 30, 2004
                        Hi,

                        The following is a summary list of contents (with approx size in MB)
                        that will fill approximately one CD.

                        KDE 3.3 Src
                        150
                        KDE i18n
                        175
                        Gnome 2.8 Platform src
                        35
                        Gnome 2.8 Desktop (incl Evol2.0) src
                        135
                        Gnome 2.8 Bindings src
                        10
                        Mono src
                        50
                        GTK# Installer for Windows
                        8
                        Indic Fonts
                        5
                        Yudit Unicode Editor(src+win32exe)
                        10
                        Latest Kernel Sources (2.6.8.1)
                        35
                        Ofset Freeduc (selection)
                        20
                        Gimp 2
                        18

                        TOTAL 651

                        Thoughts/ideas/flames?

                        I am still looking for a indic enabled mozilla/firefox build... have
                        asked around, should have it soon. I'll probably reduce the KDE i18n
                        package by removing everything except indian localisations, so that'll
                        give me some more space for last minute request.

                        Regards
                        -
                        Avik

                        PS. I was travelling this week, so this is few days behind my promised
                        dates, but I can have an image burned by next week.
                      • Avik Sengupta
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 8, 2004
                          Repying to my own mail..!

                          On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 18:31, Avik Sengupta wrote:
                          > Hi,
                          >
                          > The following is a summary list of contents (with approx size in MB)
                          > that will fill approximately one CD.
                          <snip>
                          > Thoughts/ideas/flames?

                          So I think this is pretty much a final list for one CD. Managers, any
                          progress on if this is actually happening? Do you want a beta cut? How
                          do you want me to get the CD to you.. I dont have enuf upload
                          bandwith...we'll probably have to do it the old fashioned way!

                          I'm also starting to create the index/splash etc. I'll assume if we get
                          sponsors, we'll have logo's etc on it.

                          > I am still looking for a indic enabled mozilla/firefox build...
                          Gottit. But was surprised to see most hindi sites render better in
                          Konqueror (and that too, out-of-the-box) rather than Firefox!!!

                          Regards
                          -
                          Avik
                        • kamathln
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 9, 2004
                            > On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 18:31, Avik Sengupta wrote:
                            > > Hi,
                            > > The following is a summary list of contents (with approx size in MB)
                            > > that will fill approximately one CD.
                            > <snip>
                            > > Thoughts/ideas/flames?
                            > >
                            > So I think this is pretty much a final list for one CD. Managers,
                            This is from thew gimp-developer mailing list

                            "we are getting closer to the 2.2 release but there's still a lot of
                            things that need to be done. This mail will focus on stuff that should
                            be done for GIMP 2.2 but doesn't need any programming skills. For that
                            reason I am also addressing the gimp-user list here. We are looking
                            for contributions on the following tasks:

                            (1) We will probably want to have a press-release to announce GIMP
                            2.2. This is a rather large task but it can be split up into a
                            couple of smaller ............."

                            If you get some spare time,( if a miacle happens, ;-)... keep a
                            lookout for the new release.
                          • Guntupalli Karunakar
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 9, 2004
                              On Sat, 09 Oct 2004 11:43:25 +0530
                              Avik Sengupta <avik.sengupta@...> wrote:

                              > Repying to my own mail..!
                              >
                              > On Thu, 2004-09-30 at 18:31, Avik Sengupta wrote:
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > The following is a summary list of contents (with approx size in
                              > > MB) that will fill approximately one CD.
                              > <snip>
                              > > Thoughts/ideas/flames?
                              > >
                              > So I think this is pretty much a final list for one CD. Managers,
                              > any progress on if this is actually happening? Do you want a beta
                              > cut? How do you want me to get the CD to you.. I dont have enuf
                              > upload bandwith...we'll probably have to do it the old fashioned
                              > way!
                              >
                              > I'm also starting to create the index/splash etc. I'll assume if we
                              > get sponsors, we'll have logo's etc on it.
                              >
                              > > I am still looking for a indic enabled mozilla/firefox build...
                              > Gottit. But was surprised to see most hindi sites render better in
                              > Konqueror (and that too, out-of-the-box) rather than Firefox!!!

                              Did ya check http://www.indlinux.org/wiki/index.php/TamingTheDragon
                              for indic enabled mozilla ?
                              Konqueror uses Khtml, which in turn uses rendering using Qt, so all
                              works out of box.

                              Regards,
                              Karunakar