Re: [lb/2002] Network Intrusion Detection

  • Pradyumna Sampath
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002

      --- subhashcbhushan <subhashcbhushan@...> wrote:
      > I would like to talk about Intrusion Detection. :)
      > But I would like
      > some inputs from members here, about whether its a
      > good subject to
      > talk about, whether people will be interested in it,
      There was one talk about LIDS last year by Sridhar ..U
      may get his slides from here
      http://linux-bangalore.org/2001/schedules/
      There was a good crowd for that.
      prady

      http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
        On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Mahendra_M wrote:

        > > IMHO, It's definitely a subject that people would be interested in. AFAIK,
        > > no one has yet covered this particular topic (i may be wrong).
        >
        > Last year there were talks on security that were a hit.
        > If I remember we had talks on IDS last year.

        Interesting question harises:

        How much of last year does one want to repeat?

        I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
        people who didnt attend last year.

        While security is an evergreen subject, I'd rather focus on new aspects of
        security that have shown up ovber the past year.

        "Managing Networks -- Powered by Linux"
        Workshop on 29-Oct-2002
        Details at http://www.exocore.com/events

        Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
        Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
      • Kalyan Varma
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
          I second that. We've had talks on IDS for the last 2 years now. This is
          not including the BLUG meets.

          - kalyan

          On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Atul Chitnis wrote:

          > On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Mahendra_M wrote:
          >
          > > > IMHO, It's definitely a subject that people would be interested in. AFAIK,
          > > > no one has yet covered this particular topic (i may be wrong).
          > >
          > > Last year there were talks on security that were a hit.
          > > If I remember we had talks on IDS last year.
          >
          > Interesting question harises:
          >
          > How much of last year does one want to repeat?
          >
          > I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
          > people who didnt attend last year.
          >
          > While security is an evergreen subject, I'd rather focus on new aspects of
          > security that have shown up ovber the past year.
          >
          > Atul

        • Pradyumna Sampath
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002

            --- Kalyan Varma <kalyan@...> wrote:

            > I second that. We've had talks on IDS for the last
            > 2 years now. This is
            > not including the BLUG meets.
            >
            > - kalyan

            Depends on the topic.Defnitely there cannot be the
            "same" talks.We should have a blend of all the
            varieties ie repeats and new topics.IDS has infact
            become a common topic.

            prady

            http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
          • Sridhar N
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
              On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 18:37, Atul Chitnis wrote:
              > Interesting question harises:
              >
              > How much of last year does one want to repeat?

              Even assuming what Kallu and I did last year wasn't exactly the
              _Network_ Intrusion Detection System, it really seems the same really.
              However, it all depends on what he wants to do - if there is something
              in NIDS that has turned up and is quite revolutionary ( I don't know of
              any such thing ), it might be a good idea to focus on that. If not,
              well, I'm not too positive.

              > I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
              > people who didnt attend last year.

              However, on the other hand, there are things like PHP, beginner's stuff
              - hey what are you going to do about them. How are you going to decide
              what to put in and what not to put in ?

              regards
              Sridhar
            • Dr Tarique Sani
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
                On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Pradyumna Sampath wrote:

                > varieties ie repeats and new topics.IDS has infact
                > become a common topic.

                Agreed IDS has become the Dev Anand of Linux meets but I would still like
                to hear about it every time (depending on the speaker) since there is
                always something new

                Tarique

              • Mahendra_M
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                    > Agreed IDS has become the Dev Anand of Linux meets but I would still like
                    > to hear about it every time (depending on the speaker) since there is
                    > always something new

                    How about "Building honeypots with Linux and snort".

                    I was thinking of this topic for quite some time now. Maybe I will
                    start preparing !!!

                    Mahendra

                  • Dr Tarique Sani
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                      On 23 Oct 2002, Sridhar N wrote:

                      > However, on the other hand, there are things like PHP, beginner's stuff

                      PHP - any special requests?

                      Tarique

                    • Ananth
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                        On Oct 23, 05:50:19 PM (Wednesday), or Thereabouts, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
                        ::
                        :: PHP - any special requests?

                        well,

                        PHP XML-RPC & MCal :)

                        Ananth
                        --
                        You shall be rewarded for a dastardly deed.
                      • Dr Tarique Sani
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                          On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Ananth wrote:

                          > On Oct 23, 05:50:19 PM (Wednesday), or Thereabouts, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
                          > ::
                          > :: PHP - any special requests?
                          >
                          > well,
                          >
                          > PHP XML-RPC & MCal :)

                          You got it. Had PHP + SOAP/Web Services in mind - MCal sux ;)

                          Tarique