Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

RE: [lb/2002] Network Intrusion Detection

Expand Messages
  • Mahendra_M
    ... Last year there were talks on security that were a hit. If I remember we had talks on IDS last year. ... Well, all the speakers find this the easiest
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
    • 0 Attachment
      On Oct 21, 06:20:52 PM (Monday), or Thereabouts, subhashcbhushan wrote:

      > :: I would like to talk about Intrusion Detection. :) But I would like
      > :: some inputs from members here, about whether its a good subject to
      >
      > IMHO, It's definitely a subject that people would be interested in. AFAIK,
      > no one has yet covered this particular topic (i may be wrong).

      Last year there were talks on security that were a hit.
      If I remember we had talks on IDS last year.

      > well, Q & A is never *easy*...suffice to say that'll depend on your talk :)

      Well, all the speakers find this the easiest part.....;-)

      Mahendra

      Infosys Technologies Ltd,
      Bangalore, India.

      Ph : 8520261 ext 6483
      Direct : 4166483



      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Pradyumna Sampath
      Hi, ... There was one talk about LIDS last year by Sridhar ..U may get his slides from here http://linux-bangalore.org/2001/schedules/ There was a good crowd
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
      • 0 Attachment
        Hi,

        --- subhashcbhushan <subhashcbhushan@...> wrote:
        > I would like to talk about Intrusion Detection. :)
        > But I would like
        > some inputs from members here, about whether its a
        > good subject to
        > talk about, whether people will be interested in it,
        There was one talk about LIDS last year by Sridhar ..U
        may get his slides from here
        http://linux-bangalore.org/2001/schedules/
        There was a good crowd for that.
        prady

        __________________________________________________
        Do you Yahoo!?
        Y! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your web site
        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
      • Atul Chitnis
        ... Interesting question harises: How much of last year does one want to repeat? I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
        • 0 Attachment
          On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Mahendra_M wrote:

          > > IMHO, It's definitely a subject that people would be interested in. AFAIK,
          > > no one has yet covered this particular topic (i may be wrong).
          >
          > Last year there were talks on security that were a hit.
          > If I remember we had talks on IDS last year.

          Interesting question harises:

          How much of last year does one want to repeat?

          I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
          people who didnt attend last year.

          While security is an evergreen subject, I'd rather focus on new aspects of
          security that have shown up ovber the past year.

          Atul

          --
          "Managing Networks -- Powered by Linux"
          Workshop on 29-Oct-2002
          Details at http://www.exocore.com/events

          -------------------------------------------
          Atul Chitnis | achitnis@...
          Exocore Consulting | http://www.exocore.com
          Bangalore, India | +91 (80) 344-0397
          -------------------------------------------
        • Kalyan Varma
          I second that. We ve had talks on IDS for the last 2 years now. This is not including the BLUG meets. - kalyan
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
          • 0 Attachment
            I second that. We've had talks on IDS for the last 2 years now. This is
            not including the BLUG meets.

            - kalyan


            On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Atul Chitnis wrote:

            > On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Mahendra_M wrote:
            >
            > > > IMHO, It's definitely a subject that people would be interested in. AFAIK,
            > > > no one has yet covered this particular topic (i may be wrong).
            > >
            > > Last year there were talks on security that were a hit.
            > > If I remember we had talks on IDS last year.
            >
            > Interesting question harises:
            >
            > How much of last year does one want to repeat?
            >
            > I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
            > people who didnt attend last year.
            >
            > While security is an evergreen subject, I'd rather focus on new aspects of
            > security that have shown up ovber the past year.
            >
            > Atul
            >
          • Pradyumna Sampath
            Hi, ... Depends on the topic.Defnitely there cannot be the same talks.We should have a blend of all the varieties ie repeats and new topics.IDS has infact
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
            • 0 Attachment
              Hi,

              --- Kalyan Varma <kalyan@...> wrote:
              >
              > I second that. We've had talks on IDS for the last
              > 2 years now. This is
              > not including the BLUG meets.
              >
              > - kalyan

              Depends on the topic.Defnitely there cannot be the
              "same" talks.We should have a blend of all the
              varieties ie repeats and new topics.IDS has infact
              become a common topic.

              prady




              __________________________________________________
              Do you Yahoo!?
              Y! Web Hosting - Let the expert host your web site
              http://webhosting.yahoo.com/
            • Sridhar N
              ... Even assuming what Kallu and I did last year wasn t exactly the _Network_ Intrusion Detection System, it really seems the same really. However, it all
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
              • 0 Attachment
                On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 18:37, Atul Chitnis wrote:
                > Interesting question harises:
                >
                > How much of last year does one want to repeat?

                Even assuming what Kallu and I did last year wasn't exactly the
                _Network_ Intrusion Detection System, it really seems the same really.
                However, it all depends on what he wants to do - if there is something
                in NIDS that has turned up and is quite revolutionary ( I don't know of
                any such thing ), it might be a good idea to focus on that. If not,
                well, I'm not too positive.

                >
                > I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
                > people who didnt attend last year.

                However, on the other hand, there are things like PHP, beginner's stuff
                - hey what are you going to do about them. How are you going to decide
                what to put in and what not to put in ?

                regards
                Sridhar
              • Dr Tarique Sani
                ... Agreed IDS has become the Dev Anand of Linux meets but I would still like to hear about it every time (depending on the speaker) since there is always
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Pradyumna Sampath wrote:

                  > varieties ie repeats and new topics.IDS has infact
                  > become a common topic.

                  Agreed IDS has become the Dev Anand of Linux meets but I would still like
                  to hear about it every time (depending on the speaker) since there is
                  always something new

                  Tarique

                  --
                  =============================================================
                  PHP Applications for E-Biz: http://www.sanisoft.com

                  Indian PHP User Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug
                  =============================================================
                • Mahendra_M
                  ... From: Atul Chitnis [mailto:achitnis@exocore.com] ... Well, it is obvious that some topics will have to repeat - OLD wine in a new bottle. ... Some topics
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 22, 2002
                  • 0 Attachment
                    -----Original Message-----
                    From: Atul Chitnis [mailto:achitnis@...]

                    > I am quite against rehashing stuff, but I do understand that there will be
                    > people who didnt attend last year.

                    Well, it is obvious that some topics will have to repeat - OLD wine in a
                    new bottle.

                    > While security is an evergreen subject, I'd rather focus on new aspects of
                    > security that have shown up ovber the past year.

                    Some topics like PHP, Databases etc. are also evergreen ones.
                    While planning the schedule, we need to make sure that there is
                    a freshness in the schedule. Not like - happened, happening and will happen.

                    Maybe it is time to talk abt scheduling talks - ( Nightwatchmen )....

                    Mahendra


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  • Mahendra_M
                    ... From: Dr Tarique Sani [mailto:tarique@sanisoft.com] ... How about Building honeypots with Linux and snort . I was thinking of this topic for quite some
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                    • 0 Attachment
                      -----Original Message-----
                      From: Dr Tarique Sani [mailto:tarique@...]

                      > Agreed IDS has become the Dev Anand of Linux meets but I would still like
                      > to hear about it every time (depending on the speaker) since there is
                      > always something new

                      How about "Building honeypots with Linux and snort".

                      I was thinking of this topic for quite some time now. Maybe I will
                      start preparing !!!

                      Mahendra


                      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                    • Dr Tarique Sani
                      ... PHP - any special requests? Tarique -- ============================================================= PHP Applications for E-Biz: http://www.sanisoft.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                      • 0 Attachment
                        On 23 Oct 2002, Sridhar N wrote:

                        > However, on the other hand, there are things like PHP, beginner's stuff

                        PHP - any special requests?


                        Tarique

                        --
                        =============================================================
                        PHP Applications for E-Biz: http://www.sanisoft.com

                        Indian PHP User Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug
                        =============================================================
                      • Ananth
                        ... well, PHP XML-RPC & MCal :) Ananth -- You shall be rewarded for a dastardly deed.
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                        • 0 Attachment
                          On Oct 23, 05:50:19 PM (Wednesday), or Thereabouts, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
                          ::
                          :: PHP - any special requests?

                          well,

                          PHP XML-RPC & MCal :)

                          Ananth
                          --
                          You shall be rewarded for a dastardly deed.
                        • Dr Tarique Sani
                          ... You got it. Had PHP + SOAP/Web Services in mind - MCal sux ;) Tarique -- ============================================================= PHP Applications for
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 23, 2002
                          • 0 Attachment
                            On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Ananth wrote:

                            > On Oct 23, 05:50:19 PM (Wednesday), or Thereabouts, Dr Tarique Sani wrote:
                            > ::
                            > :: PHP - any special requests?
                            >
                            > well,
                            >
                            > PHP XML-RPC & MCal :)

                            You got it. Had PHP + SOAP/Web Services in mind - MCal sux ;)

                            Tarique

                            --
                            =============================================================
                            PHP Applications for E-Biz: http://www.sanisoft.com

                            Indian PHP User Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/in-phpug
                            =============================================================
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.